• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Weed has ruined drugs for me. Interested in Opiates.

TheSman

Greenlighter
Hi. I’m not going to do the “swim” thing. This is my issue. Some important background about me relevant to my question: I have a very severe anxiety disorder for which I am medicated. An SSRI plus Ativan in case of panic attacks. The SSRI is mostly sufficient in reducing most of my symptoms. My issue is that my reaction to weed has ruined my would-be experience with other potentially enjoyable substances. I have not a single idea about the supposed “relaxing” and “calming” effect of weed. It has produced for me nothing but unbearable paranoia and intense anxiety, time after time. I tried so hard to like it, but couldn’t. The last time I smoked I was shaking so hard I couldn’t light my cigarette. The people I was with were extremely concerned and worried that I was having a harmful reaction. I think this reaction was the result of weed actively making my symptoms worse, as well as my reaction to the altering effects. After that, I gave up on everything other than alcohol and benzodiazepines.

I have taken a keen interest in opiates due to their anxiolytic effects. I’m just scared that these effects will be like the “relaxation” of weed. I have done oxycodone in the past, but I was young and I don’t remember much about how it made me feel. I do remember not feeling anywhere near as anxious as weed, but some anxiety due to altered perception. I remember feeling calmer once the nodding started (I don’t know if anyone nods on oxy, but I did). So my question is this: does heroin, oxy, or hydrocodone have the potential to make my anxiety symptoms worse in the way that weed does? Those of you with anxiety disorders and similar experiences will be particularly helpful. Thank you for reading. I suppose I won’t know until I try. I just don’t want to walk right into a panic attack like my awful experience with weed.

I'm new here. I'll update my profile shortly.

i have bad anxiety aswell and i can tell you that if you smoke everyday for a week the paranoia will go away ! and if you can somehow know you are getting herb that has 4% or so of CBD there is no paranoia ! that is for me anyway everyone has a unique biochemistry and you may just have the chemistry that will not tolerate THC

ask any opiate addict what it feels like withdrawing from a strong opiate like oxycodone or heroin, they will tell you its hell on earth.

if you have a problem with anxiety, this is a good reason to AVOID trying opiates any time in your future.

yes, nodding on heroin will destroy any anxiety or depression i am feeling, for a good few hours, but theres only so much time you can spend high on opiates. they are also extremely addictive, physically and psychologically.

if you have a severe anxiety disorder, i'm not surprised that weed causes you intense anxiety and paranoia, maybe weed just isn't for you..

a ssri isn't going to do all the work for you, you need to seek therapy in order to find the root causes of your anxiety so that you can overcome them.

Someone I love just quit Prozac and klonopin and while their diabetes is acting up with the extra stress this person has never seem so mentally stable and goal oriented.

Personally cbd at 5-10 mg two three times a day has really kept me grounded and less restless, but I still require some cannabis/THC content at night as cbd doesn't seem to aid sleep

Edit: don't start opiates as they are very risky for that use in someone who can become unstable. The meds you are on already are anxiety producing due to the necessity to take them.... You don't want to add another to the list trust me. The only opiate I found good for anxiety was an opium batch I got.... At the same time due to random alkaloid content and the illegality of it you are in the same boat as trying to be stable with constantly changing stashes of cannabis possibly hash. Try eating things like shitaki, oyster, miataki, reishi, and all those super healthy mushrooms. Work with basic nutrition before these heavy meds.

Last edited:
If you have severe anxiety self medicating with opioids is a good way to get a seriously bad opioid addiction.

^^âgreed... work on your anxiety issues via natural methods too (sport, meditation, yoga, therapy...) then once you are in a "good place" mentally, with no or little irrational anxiety/paranoia you could maybe try some of the softer safer psychs and low dose stims, you could probably even smoke cannabinoids with high CBD, and low THC (such as AB-FUNICA IME... i don't smoke weed/hash either coz it increases my anxiety, but some 'noids go down smoothe for me) if you want to do drugs recreationaly...

But yeah, self medicating anxiety with opiates is a recipe for disaster

yeah the opiate addiction will cause more anxiety then relief ! i can say this from experience. also i was on the load of benzos and when i finally got off all benzos i stopped having panic attacks ! i think and my doctor agrees that benzos are for short term use and when used everyday for every difficult moment it can actually cause panic !

phatass giving a suggestion to try a compound with very little use or research rather than just abstaining from use in general if whats been used for a long time is a very very bad idea... No one knows safe dose or long term affect to say the least.

Chamomile tea is nice try drinking that in the morning, but it probably wont help with sleep. There are other very useful herbs and I recommend just looking through the tea department at whatever big grocery chain there is and just checking the different teas (calming/anxiety, nightime/sleep) and looking through the active ingredients to find herbs that may benefit you in your life either in your active or resting life. Using things that act directly can be useful, but it's on a very fine line of dangerous. Like chemotherapy

As an opiate addict I say STAY THE FUCK AWAY!!!! They are no joke and not something you want to get hooked on.. It all starts off innocent with just on weekends etc. then it turns into daily use, next thing you know you don't really feel them anymore and will be sick as he'll if you don't have them.. Usually ends up leading heroin because it's so much cheaper than pharms. I speak from experience, over 10 yrs addicted to those damn things.. So my advice is stay the hell away..

phatass giving a suggestion to try a compound with very little use or research rather than just abstaining from use in general if whats been used for a long time is a very very bad idea... No one knows safe dose or long term affect to say the least.

Re-read my post, the AB-FUBINACA was "IME" and "smooth FOR ME"... just pointed out that in my case high CBD low THC was very calming and relaxing for ME, whereas weed/hash triggers anxiety/paranoia/psychosis IME atm...

cbd is extremely good at preventing and treating severe seizures, so it makes sense it would help someone with anxiety issues as the OP described.

GWP42003* has shown notable anti psychotic effects in accepted pre clinical models of schizophrenia and importantly has also demonstrated the ability to reduce the characteristic movement disorders induced by currently available anti psychotic agents. The mechanism of GWP42003 does not appear to rely on the D2 receptor augmentation of standard antipsychotics and therefore has the potential to offer a novel treatment option in this therapeutic area. We are currently preparing to commence a Phase 2a trial of GWP42003 in the treatment for schizophrenia in the first half of 2014.

http://www.gwpharm.com/psychiatric-conditions.aspx

*GWP42003 featured purified CBD as its active ingredient.

I will just throw this one out there

GWP42003* has shown notable anti psychotic effects in accepted pre clinical models of schizophrenia and importantly has also demonstrated the ability to reduce the characteristic movement disorders induced by currently available anti psychotic agents. The mechanism of GWP42003 does not appear to rely on the D2 receptor augmentation of standard antipsychotics and therefore has the potential to offer a novel treatment option in this therapeutic area. We are currently preparing to commence a Phase 2a trial of GWP42003 in the treatment for schizophrenia in the first half of 2014.

http://www.gwpharm.com/psychiatric-conditions.aspx

*GWP42003 featured purified CBD as its active ingredient.

I will just throw this one out there

HA! I'm sorry but I had to point out the 420 reference hidden in the name/title of that "medication"... I wonder if it was done on purpose. I doubt it. I think its more likely it's just a coincidence.... which is cool. :)

OP- we are a lot alike. I am on an SSRI as well as Ativan prn. The Ativan doesn't work as well as Valium but bc I have frequent surgeries I like to keep that in my back pocket at the risk of it not working as well.
I gave up pot after a couple very scary events- major major panic attacks. I thought I was dying.
I have never found opiates to give me any anxiety whatsoever. I have only used Percocet , oxy IR, oxyneo, hydro, codeine, morphine and dilaudid.
If your question is going to opiates to control anxiety , BAD IDEA and wrong class of drugs.
If your question is being able to use opiates recreationally without developing anxiety in the process, I can pretty much assure you you won't. The only way I see you panicking is if you don't trust your source and start wondering if you got a bad batch, RC, etc.
HTH

Since no one answered your question I'll answer. Opiates relaxing is not like weed relaxing it's like benzo relaxing plus euphoria. BUT as a herion addict I will say be careful but you've already gotten enough lecturing .. Good luck!

i have bad anxiety aswell and i can tell you that if you smoke everyday for a week the paranoia will go away ! and if you can somehow know you are getting herb that has 4% or so of CBD there is no paranoia ! that is for me anyway everyone has a unique biochemistry and you may just have the chemistry that will not tolerate THC

No offense, but speak for yourself, while that may hold true for you, continuing to use marijuana despite negative mental side effects, can often be even more detrimental.

I never liked weed either and used to grow it up in our attic - I love the smell, but it made me paranoid as I had years of undiagnosed graves disease/coupled with anx/dp and adhd. It basically made me more paranoid, as my brain can be disorganized as is. But, adhd has been great for multitasking jobs. Anyway, this is just ime. There are different types of course to use.

Initially opiates and heroin calmed me down, within a week or two they gave me energy to function as my system became dependent. Within 3, 4 weeks I needed them to get out of bed… on a daily basis. 2 years later with Heroin withdrawal still going on here I am (2 years of my life has been a fog, and yet I was working, but barely remember a thing??). Every single day… concerned when I was going to need to buy more for my morning dose. With Roxi/and/Heroin.

I guess it's not an answer I personally feel for anxiety. Even a longer acting one. It's prescribed for pain, so there is one reason in itself. Maybe a different ssri or an snri, or mood stabilizer. I take a very low dose antipsychotic for sleep now.

This is a good question, but I just had to mention.. not a good idea. Good luck! :) <3

You have gotten some good advice here. I will say that weed is not for everybody. You may be one of those people who just can't tolerate it. I use to smoke numerous times every day for years. Then my work started random drug test & I had to stop. On very rare occasions I would hit a bowl a couple of times when I would go out with by BF & I have had 3 very bad experiences! I basically had panic attacks & ended up throwing up after I smoked with her each time. I couldn't believe weed was doing this to me considering it has always been my drug of choice, for over 15 yrs. So I do think tolerance has a lot to do with how you feel when it comes to weed.

Like someone else said opiate relaxing is nothing like weed. Its completely different, opposite ends of the spectrum almost. However an opiate addition can cause terrible anxiety, so it is not something I would suggest using to relax. Plus mixing benzos & opiates can cause death, so please be careful! Hope this helps.

Jen

You want the solution for getting rid of weed paranoia? READ HERE:

1. If you get anxious when smoking with other people, it could be that those people are making you paranoid. Also if you have to drive somewhere or do something that you have trouble doing when high that will get you anxious and then panic.

Solution: SMOKE ALONE IN YOUR BEDROOM BEFORE YOU GO TO BED MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO DISTRACTIONS, WATCH YOUR FAVORITE RELAXING MUSIC ON YOUTUBE AND TURN ALL THE LIGHTS OFF AND LIE IN BED. You will get euphoria for sure if you know how to target euphoria. I smoke all the time but I love smoking at night before bed, just lie down on your bed and tilt your head a little on the back pillow and you will feel like only your face is awake and the rest of your body is gone and completely relaxed, it feels really really good- make sure its dominant strain is sativa.

2.GET SATIVA DOMINANT STRAINS, they are lighter colored btw so it might be easy to decipher like that.

Also dont smoke if you are depressed or sad unless you have good coping mechanisms and can block those thoughts.