We are removing the ARCHIVE sub-forums

TheLoveBandit

Indefinite break from BL - contact other admin
Do I have your attention? Ok, good.

Ever since the last site prune middle of last year, the staff have talked at times about doing away with the Archives each of our forums have. No, we're not actually deleting them, but we question the merit in retaining the content there - nobody can reply, it's read only. So yeah, good stuff is kept...but...any further discussion is denied.

Instead, we're proposing to move all threads from the archive sub-forum into the main forums - ALL relevant content in the main area, no archive. This keeps the content more available for revival by member discussion, and streamlines a bit of our site management.

We wanted to put this out here for you all to digest, offer some feedback, and tell us why this is such an awesome idea that should have been done two decades ago (or not). We'd like to start doing the merges later this week, so think about it a bit. We expect there to be a few exceptions, so if you see a forum that deserves special treatment, let us know in this thread (we already spoke with the mods of TR and NASADD).

Change is inevitable and inevitably I hate change.

Not sure about other forums but in MDMA the directory which is a source for links to everything is now broken due to the vb moving to xf. Possibly other problems as well and almost certainly this Archives change will cause a problem because so many of the links were into the archived areas.

Soo there is that.

Reactions: CFC
sometimes mega threads are intimidating but then again sometimes not. it might scare some to have to read from the beginning post. life isn't that slow.
but active is good. you just have to be fast i guess. ( and speed read) ?
i guess it's not how long it is
it's how you use it.
did i ruin this thread already.
but to recap: mega threads are great reference material and organizing does make an awesome direcory for knowledge sourcing.
if that's it.
B6h6OOi.jpg

Db5fk69.jpg

VtW6Rwr.jpg

xx oo

Change is inevitable and inevitably I hate change.

Not sure about other forums but in MDMA the directory which is a source for links to everything is now broken due to the vb moving to xf. Possibly other problems as well and almost certainly this Archives change will cause a problem because so many of the links were into the archived areas.

Soo there is that.

Lol....stodgy old folks like us DO struggle with change, eh?

Please - ANYONE - if you find broken links, ESPECIALLY in directories, simply REPORT the post and we'll set about fixing it. A lot of times we get used to the furniture as it is and we'll not notice it's worn out or in needs of freshening up.

The move of archived stuff to the main forums shouldn't break things....but we all know how it really goes. But again, if folks find something broken please REPORT it so we can set about fixing it. Thanks!

Do I have your attention? Ok, good.

Ever since the last site prune middle of last year, the staff have talked at times about doing away with the Archives each of our forums have. No, we're not actually deleting them, but we question the merit in retaining the content there - nobody can reply, it's read only. So yeah, good stuff is kept...but...any further discussion is denied.

Instead, we're proposing to move all threads from the archive sub-forum into the main forums - ALL relevant content in the main area, no archive. This keeps the content more available for revival by member discussion, and streamlines a bit of our site management.

We wanted to put this out here for you all to digest, offer some feedback, and tell us why this is such an awesome idea that should have been done two decades ago (or not). We'd like to start doing the merges later this week, so think about it a bit. We expect there to be a few exceptions, so if you see a forum that deserves special treatment, let us know in this thread (we already spoke with the mods of TR and NASADD).

I think that is a good idea. How old will a thread have to be before it generates the message "This thread is x years old and too old to be replied to" and so on?

edit: Good directer for direction.
a good director's directional.
yes thnx.

I think that is a good idea. How old will a thread have to be before it generates the message "This thread is x years old and too old to be replied to" and so on?

The intent is to NOT have an expiration date for replies. People can revive very old discussions if they have relevant input, so no such message planned.

Lol....stodgy old folks like us DO struggle with change, eh?

Please - ANYONE - if you find broken links, ESPECIALLY in directories, simply REPORT the post and we'll set about fixing it. A lot of times we get used to the furniture as it is and we'll not notice it's worn out or in needs of freshening up.

The move of archived stuff to the main forums shouldn't break things....but we all know how it really goes. But again, if folks find something broken please REPORT it so we can set about fixing it. Thanks!
lol Hey speak for yourself, I turn 21 next year. Im celebrating by getting one of those new fancy Atari 7800s that just came out or maybe I should wait for the PS1 ;)

Yeah Im working with the MDMA Mods to make some repairs brother. First impressions of them have been quite impressive.

Keep smiling.

I like reading the old archives. Leave them untouched, in pristine condition.
It is like walking though an old-growth forest. Mature. Majestic. Special.
There's always some wanker with a chainsaw though...

Leave them untouched, in pristine condition.
There's always some wanker with a chainsaw though...

To clarify - all threads will remain untouched, just moved into their main forum. No chainsaws required. We did purchase a new set of hedge trimmers, however.