• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Was this a sign from God?

You want to connect with God so you can live better, not to escape from life.

Sure, because they are unlikely. Definitely, alasdair.

I never assume something greater is at work, it's just odd.

Here's one. It seemed shocking at the time. When I was little, one of my friends had gone to a park where he could use his bike to go on ramps.

The next day, as a surprise, my father took me to one. I fell off the top, but was okay.

More recently, one of my friends had been talking about his cousin from _______ that had been shot and killed at a party.

A few days later, an old friend rings me and tells me _____ _____ (my friend/friend's cousin) had been shot and killed at a party.

I had moved three hours away from my friend, only to unite with his cousin, and then we find out he's dead.

I've been studying biochem, now all of a sudden we're doing it
in class.

This HAS to prove god, alasdair.

You understand a lot for your age. Maybe you're one of these spiritual children they talk so much about. First it was indigo children, then there was crystal children, but the millennials are supposed to be very high-consciousness or highly evolved souls who have come to start a new world, etc.

^ am I too high, stupid, the combination of both? I can make zero sense of that, Nix.

Neither could I.

I'm definitely not one of those spirit kids you speak of, Nae.

I don't like to boast about smarts. I feel it would just make me a bad person.

You all are much, much smarter than I am.

Shoot, I've just been in the "wrong" places at the "wrong" times, which all in all have just made me a bit less typical of a teen and a bit more typical of something else.

Just have to figure it out. The more I converse with the lot of you, the more mature I become. Simply (and frankly) put, you guys help me reflect upon myself so that I may be able to reflct upon your brilliant personalities.

:) besides, I get bored of being undermined.

You're the baby of Bluelight. But this is a very adult board, in my opinion. Shouldn't you be watching The Muppet Show or something.

Of course I am smarter. :eek: But I am not a little toddler. So keep on reading, buddy. I'll be your manager. Does an elitist scientist need a manager ? If not, we'll find a solution. Just pm me, when you are ready.

U said ur friend who picked u up from the hospital was telling u to find god or whatever right? Have u ever thought that maybe he put the old lady up to giving u that note? Seems like too much of a coincidence to me. I'm not religious but I believe in some higher power, some force or energy in the universe that guides us so I'm not anti god or anything like that just so u know, I'm not tryin to turn u off on god. I've had impossible prayers answered. Is ur friend like a super evangelist type? If so then I'd bet he had something to do with that lady and note, with good intentions I'm sure but those pave the road to hell from what people tell me, lol. Good luck in ur quest, god bless!

You're the baby of Bluelight. But this is a very adult board, in my opinion. Shouldn't you be watching The Muppet Show or something.

This quote is the story of my life.

Sadly. Very, vey unfortunately.

Ziirp, uncle, I'll hit you up on that management sometime.

Three+dots+in+tripod+shape.JPG

Look at that triangle. I mean, look at those 3 dots. There is no line connecting them yet the eyes see them. I see that image as a triangle. I can trace the lines. I can almost see them. There is no lines.

The human brain is primed to see connections between things. It is a useful skill indeed. It enables us to understand cause-and-effect (or at least grasp the principle). It would help us understand how certain behaviours, or locales, or actions bring about certain consequences. It helps us see human faces as a whole rather than random features in space. I can see how drawing connections between objects in the real world would allow us to do things like hunt, find food, escape danger, form social bonds, read, write, compute, etc.. We are made to see connections. And this applies particularly to when the connection is not even present; our brains will still insist that disparate things are in some way related. Humans have our forebrain which can reflect upon our consciousness, but it is still fed from primal parts of the brain that do not analyse or reflect. The data may already be skewed.

Given that we have hardware in our heads that is always trying to determine the relationship of things to other things- it is what our brains do- I don't think we can neccesarily trust that these connections are actually objectively factual. I mean, look above at the triangular non-triangle. And for humans, with our sense of spirit or depth of feeling, we also find connections in ideas and events and people, in things that we imagine. Our brain imposes order on random objects. You cannot be certain that your brain is assessing reality accurately or whether our automated pattern-recognition is giving us a false reading. When people start seeing connections between events in their own lives and events that are explicitly unrelated, I think you need to be extrememly cautious in drawing conclusions given the fact our brain creates connections whether they exist or not.

Because that triangle is not actually a triangle. Its 3 dots.

Swirlo is quite good at picking brains. Almost too good.

Hannibal Lecter, anyone?

Getting back on topic, is there an evidence based argument anyone can present on the probability of "a sign from god" occuring?

Given the state of our entropical universe, I'd say it's slim.

Is that sarcasm?

Getting back on topic, is there an evidence based argument anyone can present on the probability of "a sign from god" occuring?

No. To do that you would need to know what dog is, what operations it performs, and what their probabilities are (for example, giving someone a sign), and the algorthm the dog uses to decide (like the person asking for it vs not asking) which person gets the sign. Then you'd be able to calculate the probability of any one person receiving a sign of dog, regardless if they're looking for it or not.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it was sarcasm, given that Ninae loves me and all.

Given his age, I think that was pretty accurate, and don't see why it would need to be sarcasm.

^ age has nothing to do with whether a person can participate in these discussions or not. Arguments stand on their merits, not the age of the maker of the argument. Nixiam is a good contributor to this subforum.

A lot of adults are extremely close-minded and unsophisticated in their "philosophical" ideas, whereas many young folk are open to many possibilities, and if they are able to use logic and reason during the exchange, then what is wrong with it?

That's not how I meant it. I meant, yes, it's a bit of a concern since he's so young, and the last comment was obviously a joke. There's a difference between a joke or exagerration and sarcasm.

He's a better contributor than most, in my opinion.