• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☠ WARNING ☠ *WARNING* Chronic ketamine/dissociative use causes bladder/organ damage

As I said ppl that have never used any drug in their lives develop bladder cystitis.

Ppl that try mdma once can get long term comedown.

Chances are you'll be fine at 1x per month but dissocistives are quite addictive (at least for me) so good luck with that.

To me it would be like having a heroin bag I only used once a month. Simply not possible. Dissociatives were actually more psychologically addictive to me than any drug I've done. It was a religion in terms of what I believed they were doing for me (and actually were making me superman despite causing the damage).
interesting. i've been using ketamine monthly for over 10 years without ever having a serious issue with it.

its addictive to me in the sense i am going to finish the stash i have, but not seek it out too often.

interesting. i've been using ketamine monthly for over 10 years without ever having a serious issue with it.

its addictive to me in the sense i am going to finish the stash i have, but not seek it out too often.
I know a guy that used daily for over 15 years all kinds of dissos and didn't get bladder damage. Some ppl are just built for it and others aren't. Just listen to your body's warnings if they happen.

This guy eventually died from a cocaine OD though but.still was using dissos with no bladder problems.

Last edited:
Never tried dxm but i can most certainly say that i agree with this notion. Everything in moderation is the key and that everyone is affected differently. Hell my aunty died from sepsis through drink. She was no where near as much of a hardcore drinker like i have witnessed but it affected her more than others.

Ketamine is a fun drug. But with all drugs come risk. The bladder issues came after 6 months of heavy use and subsided as i stopped using.

Have not sourced it since but it is probably for the best

I've commented on this issue throughout the years.....and it's no joke. I am thankful to still have my bladder, and that I don't have any issues anymore.

In my early 20s, I had access to a limitless supply of ketamine. I started out using it with tiny bumps because I was honestly scared to go into a hole, for whatever reason I have no clue lol. Then I accidentally fell into one, and it was amazzzzziiiinnngggggg. Anyway, I was getting it from India for $4/g, flipping it from $30-$120/g.....so I was making fuck tons of money and everything was free. I started sniffing bigger lines, and the tolerance raises quickly. After a while I was sniffing 2g at a time and barely feeling it. Obviously I was using a lot at that time and my nose was not happy. I was at a festival and remember the first time seeing my septal perforation.....a tiny pinhole through my septum. I still continued to sniff it for a while, before switching to IMing it.

IMing was great at first because it was like I didn't have a tolerance anymore.......and then it built up after so long. I was eventually using 100, yes one hunded, gram every week. 2 grams at once split by 5 needles at once, injecting to my hips, thigh, ass, arms, wherever. Not only did I have a horribly swollen, bruised body, and a hole in my nose, but then started the urinary issuse......and the excrutiating k pains in the sternum. This started long before I got up to those insane amounts though.

I would literally piss out ketamine, like a discharge.....it was horrible. I would piss blood clots. I had to piss, or at least felt like I needed to every two seconds. And when I did, it was usually only a couple extremely painful drops. Eventually I couldn't go anywhere because I had the feeling to piss all the time. I missed some serious music gigs that I was booked for because of it.

That was finally the time that I had to clean myself up. It took maybe two months on my couch. I would have buckets next to me because it was futile to go upstairs to use the bathroom.

Anyway.....long story made short.....I got clean 8 years ago and I have no ill effects, surprisingly and thankfully <3 I use ketamine maybe once a year now, because it is still so amazing, but when I have it....I still go hard. BUT, I can't do it for long because my body reminds me REAL quick with having pain trying to piss after a couple grams.

I want to be involved in some study somehow, because I'm sure I've done more K than thousands of people should in a lifetime 0_o

Be kind to your body with this, and DCK, MXE, 3-MeO-PCP, and the like. They will do the same thing.

Sending lots of love <3 :)
You are a fucking tank my friend. Props to your body for weathering that storm.

I blasted through just about an 8-ball in the last three weeks or so and I don't think I'm grabbing any more. I was just about to grab an ounce, half of the s isomer, half of the mixed isomer. But I'm pretty sure it would be a poor choice, unless I could keep it out of my own reach because I would be in the stuff probably pretty regularly. That's what happens when you have an unlimited supply of drugs at your disposal and you can function fairly well on them, it gets far too convenient.

I'm glad to have stumbled across this thread, because it is making me rethink my ketamine use and my potential purchase of a fucking huge amount. I should just stick to my psychedelics and buy some ketamine when I plan on using it instead of having a stockpile of 28 grams at home.

Kind of all circles back to "know yourself" and plan accordingly. Know the risks and understand what can happen if you get a little bit hedonistic with any of your drugs of choice.

Thanks for keeping it real fam. I've missed this community.

Yeah ketamine tolerance does seem to develop fairly quickly. I never injected it but can understand why some people do especially when snorting becomes "ineffective"

I am a compulsive person. Ketamine presses these strange buttons in my brain that seems to make me want to keep going back. But bladder issues is no joke and i do understand that everything needs to be in moderation

Anybody having experienced auditory hallucinations? Not exactly hearing voices, I had that once involving an involuntary RC stim overdose, so I can discriminate - it's like a second stream of thought, like an entity which lives in but independent from your mind, and sometimes answers, sometimes comments, depending on mindset - I'll let it with the label of an 'echo' for now, as I've challenged it multiple times and it couldn't provide me any information or emotion which wasn't previously acquired by myself. Still, having a thought telling me "I wanna take over your body", "I found your light on this day", "You'll be facing horrific judgement when you die" etc... isn't exactly what I intended by, granted, excessively over-doing dissociative research chemicals. Most of them was O-PCM but also some others, a share of DXM and MXE in the years before, some K (which was the absolutely worst in terms of physical damage, not counting some really really fucked up adulterated O-PCM I've ordered off the Dark Onion whose name we don't mention) etc.

Point is, these hallucinations were and are the symptom which is most easy and obvious to spot. Cognitive damage is hard to find, I didn't do any real testing and don't have any pre-dissoz values to compare with, also I have few real friends so I can't tell about behavioural changes. On some days I think I'm damaged but I thought the same before. On others, that it's entirely my mind. Sometimes that it's reversible, sometimes that the shizo link is correct (recently some asshole diagnosed me out off the blue with shizo, but afterwards the diagnosis got officially dismissed and that as an inpatient, so not much to hide) and sometimes that the entire science stuff might be too far fetched from rodents to humans.

Point is, they last way longer than other disso features, but also science found some parts of the brain being under-active even the days after a dissociative. Other found a glutamatergic, excitotoxic rebound. I'm having much time w/o any issues, and neither morph, nor O-PCM or 1cP-LSD don't reliably trigger anything, even DXM doesn't - with the exception of NMDA antagonist PLUS mu opioid agonist. Then I'll rush into positive and negative schizophrenia symptoms. Which is absolutely weird and I've never ever read or heard from but there's good chance that I'm one of the first experiencing this - it required longer term parallel use of O-PCM and bupe/morphine, morph is more psychotomimetic than methadone, while DXM on bupe acutely triggered an overwhelmingly dysphoric hell of voices. There is some background noise which I'd diagnose as HPPD like stuff but it's minor, yet more present when on opioids(!) which are generally considered to be antipsychotic. I didn't and won't talk to docs openly about that 'feature' unless I'd get a recommendation of a highly skilled and specific individual. I've been hooked on morphine for longer / on maintenance therapy, so never really long-term w/o any chems and currently withdrawing so I can't really state anything else yet other than morphine+DXM is bad for some. As it's used to augment in pain therapy this' weird either.

I know I was, and partially still am, reckless and that some including a specific Flower out here wish me into psych ward, but all the people I've talked to about voices were pretty much crazier in a different way than I am (e.g. literal chip-in-brain belief) and I yet only talked to one person about long-term disso issue, she uses DXM + morphine in astronomic doses (1g + 1.2g etc) w/o getting this specific issue. Also DXM seems NOT to cause bladder issues, which isn't too far fetched given that it's said to be the arylcyclohexylamine structure specifically which I would second as I indeed got some bladder irritation and issues, which at the end of my usage period were quite heavy but BY FAR not as heavy as I've seen here on BL. It was concerning but I recovered mostly, now having capacity of more than 1L again when before it was below 500mL.

Weird that these issues only show up recently. My current hunch is that ACHs are bad for your bladder/maybe other organs but that illicit ACHs sometimes are much much worse than purely tested or pharm grade ones. There are even probably some very very toxic synth by-products of which repeated use of just trace amounts is toxic, but that's another guess as I didn't test my stuff, unfortunately. I do somewhat believe one specific vendor tho, and he tested some of it to be pretty pure. Nearly died off this shit, couldn't walk straight etc. for longer but also recovered... weirdly this didn't concern me as much as the bladder by far even when it should have. I'd pay to know what the hell there was going on, somehow thought of it as a peripherally-only anticholinergic which stays in your body for ages but that might be entirely wrong.

Please don't tell me to stop, to search for help, etc. I know that and I've been off dissos for a solid year now. I'm just interested in other reports, and I'm intending to share the results..

Ketamine presses these strange buttons in my brain that seems to make me want to keep going back.
For sure. Even DXM does that, and even when the last trip(s) were bad.

Last edited:
EDIT: The first thing I want to add to this thread is that if you have any odd sensation whatsoever in your bladder, difficulty with strong stream, or pressure. STOP YOU ARE LIKELY DOING PERMANENT DAMAGE

2nd: If you are having pain, the most important thing to halt it is to switch to this diet linked below. You will only get worse if you keep eating caustic foods and already have an issue.

For those "wondering" if its just ketamine or other dissociatives, here is a paper documenting the same effects from MXE (in rats)

Damage to the ureter and kideny:

"51% of patients with ketamine-induced urinary symptoms had unilateral or bilateral hydronephrosis "
"hydronephrosis was accompanied by varying degrees of ureteral lesions, ureteral wall thickening, ureteral stenosis, or vesicoureteric reflux."
"one patient who continued to abuse ketamine ended up with gross bilateral hydronephrosis and acute renal failure "

Ketamine damages the billary tract:

Chronic biliary colic associated with ketamine abuse - NCBI

Clinical use of Ketamine for chronic pain results in liver injury:

Possible link between ketamine and bladder cancer (rodent study)

" In the present study, bladders of ketamine-treated mice exhibited squamous cell metaplasia following 12 weeks of treatment, leading to the hypothesis that long-term ketamine abuse may eventually contribute to the development of bladder cancer; however, whether ketamine abuse would eventually result in the development of bladder cancer is unknown and long-term follow-up studies are required. "

BL user thread chronicling bladder damage from K: https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/why-you-shouldnt-abuse-ketamine-nsfw-photos.895520/

I am aware of one former member who was killed from organ damage bile duct cancer which we all seem to agree is likely due to his super heavy disso use. sporadic dissociative use over the past 3 years or so did more damage to my body than 5 years of slamming heroin 2-5 times per day and smoking crack daily when i was younger.
The study with rats only induced bladder damage with mxe by giving them, quite frankly, fuck off sized doses, for three months. The equivalent dosing in humans would produce a constant state of unconsciousness. As such, I honestly feel that mxe achieved one of my goals in creating it ie. bladder friendly, as there were no reported cases of bladder damage in humans, all the time it was easily available (and we know how many people hammered it then!)

I think there have ben some cases of bladder issues with MXE since then but nothing like ketamine. Also a lot of people started with tons of K and have done many dissos and the damage is cumulative over a lifetime.

By the way MXE remains among my very favorite drugs and my favorite dissociative by a longshot. Really special stuff. I hate that it is gone. DMXE is the closest thing I've found, it has a lot of the same characteristics. I have 1 dose of MXE left, had 2 for a while, I thought maybe nostalgia was giving me rose colored glasses but the last dose I took had everything I remembered.

The study with rats only induced bladder damage with mxe by giving them, quite frankly, fuck off sized doses, for three months. The equivalent dosing in humans would produce a constant state of unconsciousness. As such, I honestly feel that mxe achieved one of my goals in creating it ie. bladder friendly, as there were no reported cases of bladder damage in humans, all the time it was easily available (and we know how many people hammered it then!)
The mechanism of bladder cystitis has been hypothesized to the result of down stream cascade resulting from NMDA antagonism....not the drug itself damaging the bladder. Basically am immune response is induced with cytokine storm like response that attacks the bladder. Anything that it's antagonizing nmda would in theory do this.

Non drug induced bladder cystitis also is believed to by autoimmune related.

My use during my disso career was probably about 90 percent MXE and 10 percemt other dissociatives and my bladder got quite fucked.

Mxe was my favorite drug of all time but I had to stop lying to myself at a certain point based off of ppl on BL saying it's a bladder friendly form of ketamine (with zero scientific basis for saying that), I looked at the biochemical mechanism of this disease, I realized my own bladder was fucked from mainly mxe use...and I came to my senses...or pain brought me to stop rationalizing my drug of choice was safe.

I still do it with other drugs though.

Because it's what us drug addicts do.

Last edited:
The mechanism of bladder cystitis has been hypothesized to the result of down stream cascade resulting from NMDA antagonism....not the drug itself damaging the bladder. Basically am immune response is induced with cytokine storm like response that attacks the bladder.
Do you have a source for this? Afaik another theory is that it's the arylcyclohexylamine structure being the culprit and independent of NMDA antagonism, for which would speak that e.g. DXM doesn't induce cystitis (but indeed even memantine has it listed as a possible side effect - I didn't notice any irritation with it tho and in astronomical dosages - 120mg acutely and 40mg/d for many months). My experience at least was that the amount of irritation is directly correlating to the total amount of arylcyclohexylamine and negatively to the amount of hydration during the experience. A K binge is much much worse than a MXE binge. But it might of course be that there are multiple mechanisms involved, as it's weird if you ask me that it's a pretty recent phenomenon and in the past decades most K was diverted from legitimate pharm/vet pharm supplies while nowadays it's illicitly synthed with a pretty huge content of impurities (dark net K is called pure when it's more than like 80% pure and some of the impurities are nasty. Ever got the K cramps? Only happens with certain batches of illicit K.).. so maybe NMDA antagonism is mildly irritating. Arylcyclohexylamine structure too. Add in some toxic impurities and the hell's freezing over.

Do you have a source for this? Afaik another theory is that it's the arylcyclohexylamine structure being the culprit and independent of NMDA antagonism, for which would speak that e.g. DXM doesn't induce cystitis (but indeed even memantine has it listed as a possible side effect - I didn't notice any irritation with it tho and in astronomical dosages - 120mg acutely and 40mg/d for many months). My experience at least was that the amount of irritation is directly correlating to the total amount of arylcyclohexylamine and negatively to the amount of hydration during the experience. A K binge is much much worse than a MXE binge. But it might of course be that there are multiple mechanisms involved, as it's weird if you ask me that it's a pretty recent phenomenon and in the past decades most K was diverted from legitimate pharm/vet pharm supplies while nowadays it's illicitly synthed with a pretty huge content of impurities (dark net K is called pure when it's more than like 80% pure and some of the impurities are nasty. Ever got the K cramps? Only happens with certain batches of illicit K.).. so maybe NMDA antagonism is mildly irritating. Arylcyclohexylamine structure too. Add in some toxic impurities and the hell's freezing over.
If it's not in the papers on my OP I'll have to find it again but I swear on my mother's life I've read the paper.

I first heard of this mechanism of bladder damage in the neuroscience amd pharm subforum from another BLer...years before I started this particular thread amd I went I did my research and found the paper in Google scholar.

I'm pretty busy amd just posting on BL while I ram food into my mouth between working but I'll try to find the paper soon. Wouldn't mind if someone else searched for it though.

In the neuro and pharm thread we were even discussing if nitrous would in theory cause bladder damage if used enough and the guy (he knew his shit...sounded like a scientist or doctor) said yes based on that theory of immunogenic bladder cystitis precipitated by nmda antagonism

Edit: this isn't the same paper I originally read but it's highlighting immune responses in K users amd associating them with bladder cystitis

Go and read the papers on naturally occurring interstitial cystitis (no K involved) and there is plenty of science showing the immune system is attacking the bladder.

We know of reports of dck in particular causing wild immune reactions I've read of on BL.

Im not saying what I've presented in this post is proof. This is going to require a deep dive looking at the specific immunological proteins in KC (ketamine cystitis) vs IC (natural bladder cystitis). Also trying to find the other paper I'm looking for which was making a much more definitive link.

There's also the question of whether the immunological protein level increases seen in K users are the cause of bladder damage or just a separate side effect...the paper I read was making the connection that it's the proteins from the immune response doing the damage (like in non-K IC) and not just K or a metabolite itself.

Anecdotally I'll say that I found K to be the easiest on the bladder. In terms of irritation of the dissos I did I would rank them from most to least as: dck, 3meopcp, mxe, K.

I think this is a matter of drug potency and pharmacology and not drug mass...which goes against the MXE is safer becsuse you do less of it theory...
It's like saying fentanyl is safer because you do less mass of it than heroin

Last edited:
So, I've read through this thread several times and I know it's been discussed already, but I'd still like to ask this question again; If I have aquired chronic pain/damage via dissociative (ab)use, except for quitting dissos all together, what should I do to soothe the pain and possibily speed up my bladders healing process?
I contracted damage to my bladder about a year ago after a moderate intake of ketamine and 2-FDCK. I used the drugs for a few months each, all in all using less than 10g. The level of pain is not too bothering (I'd rate it 3 out of 10), but it is however more or less contast. I feel sorry for those of you who have live with stronger pain, I really do.
Has anyone experienced pain relief using any remedies? Supplements? I try to eat and drink as healthy as possible. Also tried dried cranberry extract with little to no effect. Perhaps I should try take it more continuously over a longer period (months)? Any help appreciated. Stay strong

Has anyone experienced pain relief using any remedies? Supplements? I try to eat and drink as healthy as possible. Also tried dried cranberry extract with little to no effect. Perhaps I should try take it more continuously over a longer period (months)? Any help appreciated. Stay strong
Unfortunately I don't know about healthy options; any dissociative will work (memantine is one which doesn't hurt the bladder any more, and might be active in low [medicinal, like 20mg/d] dosages which don't interfere with everyday life after you got used to it. Maybe even agmatine could help a bit, I never took it but as its used to lower opioid tolerance, there seems to be some central activity.

Maybe also anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen might help.

But heavy that you got symptoms from less than 10g altogether, and that it stays on this level without subsiding. :( There must be some impurity/synthesis leftover going around which seems to be heavily toxic. I used a solid three figure number and got a similar level of pain but mine recovered within months, and felt that illicit (darknet) K was the worst by far, the only one which gave me the 'K cramps' and this from just a few g over a short amount of time.

Drinking enough is always good, I felt like staying hydrated while dissociating also helps to avoid inflammation. But if my hunch is correct then we have multiple sources, once the agents themselves being mildly toxic and some impurities with much stronger toxicity. As it seems that it's structure based and not a direct consequence of NMDA antagonism (otherwise all dissociatives would cause more or less the same impact but they don't - but even here I read conflicting theories), this is well possible, unfortunately.
About the cranberries I just know that they're used for bladder infections (?) but with K it's aseptic. Dunno whether continued use and/or higher dosages might help.

Hope yours will still recover as fast as possible!

Last edited:
So what is your best remedies to calm down your bladder after a ket binge?

I usually get uti like symptoms if i overdo My ket(5grams in a week or so)
But it usually clears after a week or so.

What helps for me is avoiding coffee (not easy)
And drink loads of water and apple cider vinegar.
Also i usually take oregano oil for about 2weeks.(strong natural antibiotic)

Cranberry extract might be worth a try. Schisandra berry extract is famous for its regenerative properties, I discovered it through the local drogist's after-sun cream which contained schisandra as active ingredient and found it to be seriously superior to aloe vera which so far is the gold standard for sunburn. It's used traditionally to aid with liver toxicity recovery but no clue whether it even reaches the bladder and if, if and to which degree it might help and which dosage required. Hope somebody knows something better though. Staying hydrated is very essential, but also my theory is that it's less a problem of K than of some nasty impurities originating from illicit synthesis by backyard chemists, as the RC derivates in purity didn't show any real toxicity in me even after serious abuse only certain bad batches out off the Onion caused symptoms, foremost illicit (supposedly 86 percent pure, at least it was pretty potent, so only like 14-20% of impurities left which were much more toxic than the remaining amount of K itself.) Only some batches of illicitly synthed K gave me these infamous "K cramps", while other batches and high doses of 2F-/DCK didn't even over extended periods of (ab)use.

Yeah, caffeine is harsh to the urinary tract. Maybe you could replace it with a very low dosage of dex-amphetamine/stim of choice (better not meth as that one has bad neurotoxicity specially in combination) on the disso days, might well be that that puts a similar strain on your body though but I never had problems from combining low dose stim + dissociative. It makes it hard to hole though, while otherwise showing mostly synergetic effects.

@Bitchniggaz: As long as your symptoms clear up you probably didn't cross a certain threshold yet, but that's a weird thing, some say any ACH related urotoxicity was irreversible while the OP here, who had much much worse symptoms than I ever did, as well as myself did mostly recover with abstinence. Still for harm reduction's sake I'd recommend to switch to 2F-DCK - with legality as a cherry on top (dunno about the US though, they have some shitty ass analogue laws).

As for neurotoxicity, as weird as it seems but 5ht2a-agonists (psychedelics that is) are the antidote of choice against NMDA antagonist induced neurotoxicity, possibly by increased release of growth factors.

Last edited:
If anyone was worried about their usage vis-a-vis bladder damage and needed a deterrent, these specimens have appeared on reddit over the last week or so. Graphics image warning close your eyes and scroll past if you don't want to see what happens when you cause so much damage you literally start pissing your bladder out:

For the sake of avoiding fear-mongering, it is worth noting that the people who posted these images were chronic users who had been abusing ketamine on a daily basis for over a year. This isn't something that would affect the majority of casual users.

Last edited:
For the sake of avoiding fear-mongering, it is worth noting that the people who posted these images were chronic users who had been abusing ketamine on a daily basis for over a year. This isn't something that would affect the majority of casual users.
The weird point remains that K has been around for long time and some used it for years on end without getting any bladder related discomfort (see John Lilly) - this makes me believe that we have it to do with some nasty synth leftover rather than the K itself. Arylcyclohexylamines are somewhat irritant to the bladder but this here is far far worse. Also the RCs (2-F and DCK) did only minorly irritate even after probably two-three years of multiple doses daily. It's not healthy for sure but nothing like what we see with current illicit ketamine.

Ugh, I shouldn't have looked. But you did warn.

As far as no bladder issues years ago I only knew one or two fairly heavy ketamine users 30-35 years ago. They used vet ketamine vials. There was no mention of bladder issues. So it is a good topic to look into athough I think it has been determined that it is the norketamine that they pegged the bladder issues on recently.

As far as John C Lilly I really believe that you all current users far surpassed the frequency and amount of use. There is that one year that is mentioned in all the books and I do think Lilly stopped a lot sooner than some other people here on BL. Yeay, you guys took it to a different level. lol

Yeah, probably the easy availability of low price K in some places led to use we haven't seen before but some are reporting issues with just a few ten grams over a few months. Once I used 25g of Darknet K over a few days and got an agony of K cramps pain which 15x the amount of 2F DCK didn't remotely. So I'd say norket is urotoxic but only slightly and we have similar but much more toxic compounds in there or metabolized out of some synth leftover.

Illicit K is considered pure when it has some 84-86% afaik. That's not really a good value and leaves space for God knows what not.