• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 17 68.0%

• Total voters
waking life

has anyone seen it? what did he mean when he said "the greeks 3 thousand years ago were as advanced as us" did he mean technology? they had tvs?

Well to make a TV you need to get all sorts of metals and things, and you need to get them in just the right shape. You would need a lot of different tools and probably a lot of people doing a lot of work. I think they mean if a person from back then was switched with a person from now, the person from back then could make a TV or whatever if they had the resources. If you put Bill Gates back in time, would he be able to program stuff on a computer? He'd have to make a computer first, and that would take a lot of work.

I hope this makes sense.:\

Its an interesting movie. The animation reminded me exactly of how things looked when I took 2C-I. Probably like that for a lot of psychedelic drugs though.

i just watched this the other day and since then have wathed it again because i think that this is an amazing film. the animation and rotoscoping made watching the movie seem like you were watching a moving surrealist/impressionistic painting which just blew me away. i also found all of the philosophy talk highly interesting and thought provoking, although admittedly a little confusing at times. great soundtrack too.

5 stars.

i loved this movie, too. the animation with the trails was great...some of the philosophy was lost on me but that could've been bc i was on ambien and paying much more attention to the trippiness of the animation.

This movie made me sit down and think about how I view myself and the world. I loved this movie because it challenged people to look beyond thier normal way of thinking and I think it also could help a lot of people better understand the way people who seem different or unique think.

Ernest said:
has anyone seen it? what did he mean when he said "the greeks 3 thousand years ago were as advanced as us" did he mean technology? they had tvs?

technology is based on information that came before us, just as math or physics is.

What he meant is that the Greeks were just as smart as we are now. I mean, if you take those people from then and put them in the now, give them time to read up on all the new info, they'd be just as smart as us.

vice versa, if you put all the smarties from now, strip them of the information we've learned since then, they'd be just as advanced as the Greeks were back then. And they wouldn't be any smarter than the next person. if you get what I mean, I dunno.

I can't believe all the negative reviews this film is getting in this thread. What's wrong with the philosophical ideas? People say they don't like them, what's not to like?

I especially liked the "ants" part. Hell, I liked all parts, but lately I put the "ants" part to use and have been more chatty with my fellow humans.

liked it while I was watching it the first time.
10 minutes afterward I realized it sucked.
watched it again someother time, which confirmed that it sucked.

the only person in the whole movie that said something other then bullshit was the boat car guy, who made his car to look like aboat, as an extension of his personality, just because. (runonsentencesareawesome)

technology is based on information that came before us, just as math or physics is.

What he meant is that the Greeks were just as smart as we are now. I mean, if you take those people from then and put them in the now, give them time to read up on all the new info, they'd be just as smart as us.

vice versa, if you put all the smarties from now, strip them of the information we've learned since then, they'd be just as advanced as the Greeks were back then. And they wouldn't be any smarter than the next person. if you get what I mean, I dunno.

I can't believe all the negative reviews this film is getting in this thread. What's wrong with the philosophical ideas? People say they don't like them, what's not to like?

I especially liked the "ants" part. Hell, I liked all parts, but lately I put the "ants" part to use and have been more chatty with my fellow humans.

1. People say the greeks are smart because they had running water in their cities. If running water make you smart then yes, they are smart.

The "ant" section of the movie wasn't that good, seeing as how if it was trying to make me think, or see things differently... it failed.
The lady was having a nervous breakdown in a stairwell, and the main character just happened to be there.

Waking Life is one of those movies that few people can appreciate, because so many people make it their business to label anything that's even slightly high brow as "pretentious" or "pseudo-intellectual" or any number of other uncalled for adjectives. These dialogues are examples of the way that ordinary smart people philosophize. If they're not all blindingly magnificent, that's because ordinary people aren't either.

This is a "pretentious" statement.

i saw this movie last week while on alot of MXE and all I can say is WOW!!! The visuals are simply stunning they remind me so much of high doses of LSD. The intellectual banter varied from simply amazing to completely boring but this is a a must see movie. After the movie was over I just sat in stunned silence for a few minutes trying to figure out wtf just happened. After I picked my jaw off the floor I felt more alive and glad to be human then I have in a very long time. 5 stars.

Favorite Waking Life discussions

I just watched Waking Life last night. Such an amazing movie. I did not expect it to be that deep at all, or follow such a simple yet interesting structure. The monologues and philosophies were absolutely captivating.

So what are your favorite scenes/monologues? I think I like Ethan Hawke's scene the best, when he says that he learned about how human beings sort of inherit memories all from one collective consciousness. This might explain instinct, for example. :)

i love it all, one of my fav movies for sure and inspired me to explore my dream world more deeply

have you seen 'slacker' as well? by the same director and a similar vibe, also great

I've also seen A Scanner Darkly twice, but have never really put all of the pieces together for that one lol. I should have read the book first, I guess.

I haven't seen Slacker, but now I would love to. These films sure are unique, but eye-opening at the same time.

Couldn't pick one scene, this film is fantastic from beginning to end.

I remember the scene on free will stood out to me once, but they're all great bar a couple.

edit: