• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photo Contest (VOTING CLOSED) Round 406: Isolation

Please review the submissions on the first page and choose your favorite!

• 1. PtahTek

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • 2. SnafuInTheVoid

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 3. dreamflyer

• 4. DeadManWalkin'

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • 5. madness00

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • 6. PrincessDiz

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • 7. mal3volent

• 8. F.U.B.A.R.

• 9. bongdong

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • 10. hydroazuanacaine

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • 11. Celestial_Robot_Cat

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • 12. chinup

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • 13. Xorkoth

• 14. Captain.Heroin

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • 15. Mysterier

• 16. sdxyln

• 17. thegreenhand

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
On another note, how come PrincessDiz has retained her title now that Xorkoth has stolen the crown?

Here’s a few from an old people’s home I visited the other day. Should be able to swipe them.

I want to know what you've done with the old nurses, you witch you... :ROFLMAO:

Reminds me of some of the scenes from 'Silent Hill'...

Actually looks like DopeM has his title too, from a few contests ago. Looks like some lazy-ass admin "work" to me. 😒

Hahaha! That’s crazy! They were stinky! This was an old asylum I was taking pics in. Spooky at times, doors were opening in the distance and we could hear footsteps but there was no one else in the building. I got keys for it, it was locked up tight with security cameras and alarms etc.
oh god rather you than me!! that sounds terrifying!! i don't believe in ghosts but stuff like that would make me reconsider.

I never had any evidence, and so was on the side of not believing in hauntings, but then in 2006, my girlfriend at the time and I were asked to cat sit for an acquaintance. This person made sure to tell us that the house is haunted... they wanted to make sure we were okay with that... it was a student rented house and everyone in the neighborhood said it was haunted. We said yes. When I walked in, it felt and sounded like people were home, and I fully assumed someone was home. I heard very clear footsteps upstairs (you know what someone walking sounds like vs random creaks, there is no mistaking it), every couple of minutes it sounded like someone sat up from a bed andwalked across the upstairs to the top of the stairs, which I could see, and then it would stop. Even crazier was that, downj the hall, we both very clearly heard the sounds of a few people in the kitchen, plates and silverware clinking, voices where I couldn't quite make out what they were saying, but like quiet conversation, a chair creaking, etc. I assumed it was the kitchen anyway, I had never been there, but it sounded like a family eating breakfast or something. I started slowly walking about the hall towards it because I was kinda freaked out by it. I got close to the doorway into what turned out to indeed actually be the kitchen, and I still heard it. I walked into the doorway and it totally stopped, dead silence, except for the walking upstairs. I walked back out and once I got a few steps down the hall I heard the sounds again. This was replicatable every time I tried on both days. Then we went upstairs, and the walking sounds started happening downstairs and upstairs was totally quiet. I opened the door to each room and made sure no one was there... there was no one in the house.

It was like the energy of people in that house was somehow recorded into the walls, it was really weird, totally consistent each time, and I don't know how else to explain it. it didn't feel like a living thing, but a recording. It definitely made me wonder a lot.

Actually looks like DopeM has his title too, from a few contests ago. Looks like some lazy-ass admin "work" to me. 😒

I never had any evidence, and so was on the side of not believing in hauntings, but then in 2006, my girlfriend at the time and I were asked to cat sit for an acquaintance. This person made sure to tell us that the house is haunted... they wanted to make sure we were okay with that... it was a student rented house and everyone in the neighborhood said it was haunted. We said yes. When I walked in, it felt and sounded like people were home, and I fully assumed someone was home. I heard very clear footsteps upstairs (you know what someone walking sounds like vs random creaks, there is no mistaking it), every couple of minutes it sounded like someone sat up from a bed andwalked across the upstairs to the top of the stairs, which I could see, and then it would stop. Even crazier was that, downj the hall, we both very clearly heard the sounds of a few people in the kitchen, plates and silverware clinking, voices where I couldn't quite make out what they were saying, but like quiet conversation, a chair creaking, etc. I assumed it was the kitchen anyway, I had never been there, but it sounded like a family eating breakfast or something. I started slowly walking about the hall towards it because I was kinda freaked out by it. I got close to the doorway into what turned out to indeed actually be the kitchen, and I still heard it. I walked into the doorway and it totally stopped, dead silence, except for the walking upstairs. I walked back out and once I got a few steps down the hall I heard the sounds again. This was replicatable every time I tried on both days. Then we went upstairs, and the walking sounds started happening downstairs and upstairs was totally quiet. I opened the door to each room and made sure no one was there... there was no one in the house.

It was like the energy of people in that house was somehow recorded into the walls, it was really weird, totally consistent each time, and I don't know how else to explain it. it didn't feel like a living thing, but a recording. It definitely made me wonder a lot.
Wow that’s crazy but cool! I a good bit of a skeptic. I try to rationalise things but I couldn’t rationalise what I heard.

And I love my title, am I not allowed to keep it? Pretty pleaseeeeeee

You can, what the hell, you earned it. We run fast and loose with the Photo contest rules these days. %)

Yeah I am open to any explanations for my experience but I honestly can't refute what I experienced, it was no mere house settling, and there was definitely no one home. I would think maybe someone was fucking with us, except that "generations" of students living there all said it was haunted, it was well-known. If it was a prank it was incredibly elaborate and no one ever even asked me about it afterwards or anything.

You might be aware that there are some awful wildfires ravaging the US west coast. Smoke from those drifted up to BC last week and has stayed in place since, leaving our air quality absolutely shit. When we've had wildfires in BC previous years, especially 2-3 years ago, it was comparable to how it is now but that doesn't make it any better, especially with COVID-19 cases spiking here.

In any case, I decided that a few hours wandering around outside taking pictures probably wasn't any worse than smoking drugs (right?). 😆

Overall, good experience and I got some eerie photos from the adventure. They seem appropriate for the theme of the this contest so I thought I'd post 'em here for shits and giggles.

Downtown:
oUDh8Ff.jpg

(Dis) A Pier:
En1zRd8.jpg

Bench 1:
iKVfquJ.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s a few from an old people’s home I visited the other day. Should be able to swipe them.

Your pictures are so crisp and detailed. I really like the desolate aesthetic each one has. Makes me shudder a bit, tbh (in a good way).

Out of pure curiosity, what are you shooting with?

@Celestial_Robot_Cat Very nice. Dang, the smoke of those Trump-ian explosive trees is no joke. You guys better build a wall quick, so that those explosive terror trees won't come over the border. I guess the smoke from BC back then must had at least some percentage of marijuana in it, right? Neat perspective on all of your images; the last one has some zen feeling to it, clean simplistic/minimalistic geometry.
In any case, I decided that a few hours wandering around outside taking pictures probably wasn't any worse than smoking drugs (right?).
I believe so. We had a pretty drastic lockdown in spring (which in fact was effective) and since i don't live in a big city, i was out in nature a lot! When i was able to push aside/forget my trillion other issues, i was actually enjoying it, while everybody else was freaking out. Seeing nature flourish and really come to life again in this 'vacation from human impact' was beautiful and sad at the same time. But since the COVID numbers seem to escalate once again, there might be another lockdown situation in store for us soon..
Fi Fuck right off! That's awesome! I had no idea phone cameras were that good, though I shouldn't be surprised. I shot on my Pixel 2 for a solid 2 years before finally getting a DSLR and took some great pics with it.
@PrincessDiz Does the phone produce images in a lossy format? Do you use some app or have you developed them on your own afterward? Hard to believe that the dynamic range of those type of motives can be caught with a "single jpg snapshot". Quite a few people seem to have this 'abandoned places fetish'; i have it too to some degree.

Hey, just a heads-up: Something happened to our friend's pics here and they've stopped displaying for some reason...

You might be aware that there are some awful wildfires ravaging the US west coast. Smoke from those drifted up to BC last week and has stayed in place since, leaving our air quality absolutely shit. When we've had wildfires in BC previous years, especially 2-3 years ago, it was comparable to how it is now but that doesn't make it any better, especially with COVID-19 cases spiking here.

In any case, I decided that a few hours wandering around outside taking pictures probably wasn't any worse than smoking drugs (right?). 😆

Overall, good experience and I got some eerie photos from the adventure. They seem appropriate for the theme of the this contest so I thought I'd post 'em here for shits and giggles.

Downtown:
dNDqLbMAKjvZj7WmVvIO3HsWaYXt0h02PkfvZXed1MFBHnndKWcpUlygte1yirF-IB-RhYJbTPCYUxGVK4tNnjAJkyi-uzY-N_T_JstxeldJCv60DNCYj-81ou_GgyE3SMNx0jANuySn5dBbFsTPY9DErndFGyX43nNrPhByoyQJMLobtsKSgLml1cuZ0FPDbe9UhCsXcrvvYuaERYlWt58ZUEFR72YB84GV4uEcjwMwHLVdgxDq8cRQDoQsAKkLCg6VqtpNyK3yfDjY5mlnbxqnNnQ1YQo6NO4oCcW12rVyJU4Zx7HMDIFWQ7WaPxNrv2wtvWNUfOdjnEkhPz5TbMlVhPVA4K1Qhu0W8CanQ-DFJPl0MKc3xPMBV6F586P1gxVAt9cb2eQEyueRr60uY3CUipK37_foYGsYwqWxQ366sHDftotocSOXrPAjvALwnVaktkdG5RF7XTgwW3QzRIMNu-_XAFAKVUer9sIK8t0d_843jYIjDAATvksfG_ypCoOk-u6PChtmcKDBF-D1UPx9uDrJfYPXsoi91Juzk0086w2tJpvD0TrD7KONx3WP7KLcgL2uQHzybvzORFwpHwOgbPl6Pf7zZATIkzHJYDyR5onCKBLwnS_m9o54wfvooBMQaIfulL1yGEmndNhXUq6nJJa8Vw3wzSvJq5qfMJB2D6VyKLLX68_z0e2TZg=w1560-h1951-no

(Dis) A Pier:
cB8uko5LNaI66l_Bck5oLS_YO4CIXX2H_6ipQcI9eUMiyBAzamUu7CtL-agukxTCeR0WH6BvAzy0yUD5ci2bNLWf1JzXqQdj68Tci45RaiNeWSDCDdOkX6_JHH2dm-FsCA67b3Vxf5OwzuIj3YorZY-hQAcXgWjtpBK68lEPYJzhjPsS6zr2Nx66xMl16PuAbLj4M3QwgVGyt-taFsMMl-86MLHL4M0A8hBuCLIX8P5blEWMMRzO-YMPKzl9gdkyrDjUigytRTQOmwgo2Mpr2IvaIAVGchu7HKliAYmpESkEnRYpmhw5HaZ321tfFD6d0IfynojAuFEmjXVxqLT4UPKthPKG_naYvPJ9JAtbmD0QKyOR973rJcV9-efcembnD3I1mVtxcN4cnvX08wrUqUwpV1a4ri0JXXw0tNzReZBZ-MCvDCLebwSkIKlKpWanBBH1-SlBXrGsoiVX6oTDjqg9bet8c9bvCPx-kTttW9N4yGysymHcVzjvuFEi3inCJdfvmteAZOpGwsLKzWOSVgXR0iM3Lysd2NVPc9huF2kkSYOXx5jbCQON7E3-UZ7Sto_ghx_FR_g01zrDsIngDds-AG68wEV0uoxOXjFjdq9fHtWk3KQqCK5HX8mN__rAnuWJohDrLQ3ilm0RmvnxBAbc2i2R_HT4OVJzvFzn0s-u78f5woWTBcgFkPWT_w=w1560-h878-no

Bench 1:
l90BiJnHSz2RNfQwu00Sj8861-5D7DBgVCKGqt3hojGRIe3BBYPa-qapnaiC8r51O1fCC9Nznhnm62MC78AvxPEflzEhDGcp2WQOUDIdF4a6pD6y6sjzAVnit6g22qVfLO6GVmSLQHCHsD-0UBnDrkqzWsL687wcWs0JAUpBmZMSN9inMHSIzwbF7YULoBmBy1IePwW6K61U0we6CgFFnhWaPtk3qYevamhpyRL3nsbBJ1gaQM2sYu4pczOu8J5v4l-yhkob7iSfoJOHyFdaHgd0Y_vxSNGjsZuDUxB7ZzJ65hyRiBSxH3ezKHLAueRA6De8UlmkWmQD_9znAjZQxOjQKpDtbiDvnKD0ALUIeXdC9DYuwOOFqL8h2Ahq-VsPBL2pNJKMd15udlpg66sIi-k0rBnKWCCVeXybCZrSjY3ko4lBvGvnIGXY41QxeOihHOVCRggmQaZ41dF3iNsPuvWIZhd1CU6rIzSR0_ccuutY9EYmwP9vzAaFbbdqaDQRBvpOK7eBJKaLWBocKD0Cvo-bbyJ-XDKtUQvl_h9UteBGoLougEysio8z6K9rNupQw4onSBxlGkp__sLbxlibZ5Pi3laWdfEADD2Y-e7IvTXs8DKNCFikQQtG8SE1uDULsJAjF_kvy59WnYztgUmR9PIwt8jECOz9Vdk5RzZwsMBucNqH8NwPM67UkwKDsw=w1560-h1950-no