Votes: 3 6.3%
  • 14. DopeM

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • 15. PrincessDiz

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
tiles%2B1080%2Bno%2Bborders.jpg

since covid i've gotten in the habit of riding my bicycle to the top of parking garages. now that there are attendants they don't care. anyway, this was a random find in one of them.

Yeah, and moths too. Coming from the Midwest, I always thought moths were boring tiny little one-colored things. Nopew, not true at all. Where I live now (in Appalachia), the moths are crazier than the butterflies. Absolutely gorgeous.

Moths and butterflies are insane creatures. Imagine evolution causing a creature to start out as a caterpillar (themselves beautiful and interesting creatures, and then weave a cocoon or chrysalis, and melt down into a mass of proteins, and reassemble into... those beauties. Butterflies and moths are living art.

Of course, the insect world is full of dramatic metamorphoses, like flies starting as grubs, and mosquitos starting as entirely water-living nymphs. But the most interesting and mind-bending ones are the butterflies and moths. :)

I should have taken a picture of this amazing moth we found on the house today. It was stretching its wings, clearly it had just hatched. Oh wait, I did! hang on.

Quite agree mate. Although butterflies get all the glory, moths are by far the most varied and interesting of the lepidoptera.

Fun fact: Around 70% of all insect species undergo complete metamorphosis - I.e. egg, larva, pupa, adult. But did you know that you can get a good idea of what the adult is going to be just by looking at the larva? If the larva has pairs of little stubby legs along the length of its body (e.g. caterpillar), it'll turn into a moth or butterfly. If it only has three pairs of little stubby legs at the front end it'll turn into a beetle. If it has no stubby legs at all, it'll turn into a fly (or even wasp or bee). Of course there are exceptions, but this is a general rule of thumb.

This is the moth in question:

CqvAWLe.jpg

Did you ever notice how so many of them have "eyes" on their wings to frighten predators off? Not to go getting all heavy and philosophical here, but things like that are what make me feel in my heart that everything exists as part of a grand design and not just some cosmic accident.

Did you ever notice how so many of them have "eyes" on their wings to frighten predators off? Not to go getting all heavy and philosophical here, but things like that are what make me feel in my heart that everything exists as part of a grand design and not just some cosmic accident.

Grand design? It's called evolution mate. If it works it survives. It's as simple as that...

Grand design? It's called evolution mate. If it works it survives. It's as simple as that...

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make it a religion vs. science thing; I was just stating the fact that I find the universe to be beautiful beyond explanation. Every 24 hours the earth turns 360 degrees, every 365 days it revolves around the sun, AND tilts back & forth at just the right speed. If it stopped turning for just one second, everything (and everyone) would fly through the air at 8,000 MPH and the entire planet would be destroyed. Things like that just blow my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
The universe is so vast and majestic that it humbles me to the point of putting all of my human suffering into perspective. We're all dust on dust on dust on dust, tiny things on a tiny thing orbiting a tiny thing, one of hundreds of millions in a vast galaxy, which itself is one of hundreds of billions of other galaxies. And inside each atom is the microscopic structure of the universe on an infinitely smaller scale. It's an infinite fractal of such unimaginable vastness that it beggars comprehension. I am constantly in awe of the nature of reality.

The universe is so vast and majestic that it humbles me to the point of putting all of my human suffering into perspective. We're all dust on dust on dust on dust, tiny things on a tiny thing orbiting a tiny thing, one of hundreds of millions in a vast galaxy, which itself is one of hundreds of billions of other galaxies. And inside each atom is the microscopic structure of the universe on an infinitely smaller scale. It's an infinite fractal of such unimaginable vastness that it beggars comprehension. I am constantly in awe of the nature of reality.

It always amazed me that if you look at an atom in motion, it looks just like the planets orbiting the sun. I think recursion is the word I'm looking for.

It's kinda funny, but that's the image that come to mind of most people, but in actuality the picture is much different. Planets follow eliptic orbits around their star but electrons are skinny towards the nucleus and fatter far away; kinda like 3-D petals around a flower.

Here's a diagram of one of many, many structures they take.

matter_0024.jpg

It's kinda funny, but that's the image that come to mind of most people, but in actuality the picture is much different. Planets follow eliptic orbits around their star but electrons are skinny towards the nucleus and fatter far away; kinda like 3-D petals around a flower.

Wow, that's wild. I just learned something new! :D

Anyway, sorry for turning the photography thread into an astrophysics one. Blame it on my ADD. Last night I went online to look up vegan tofu recipes and ended up reading about Kublai Khan and the opium trade for two hours instead!

IMG_20200703_220826.jpg

Haven't had a chance to take in much art this trip but I might have something from Nashville I can use, just gotta find it. In the meantime I've got lots and lots and lots of rock photos.

This one was from Kodachrome basin campground in Utah.

Taken using Google's "night sight" feature and no flash. Came out pretty nice I think.

nfs%3A-carbon_wallpapers_19531_1024x768.jpg

One of the greatest racing games. In aesthetics terms, the game does provide a wide range of peaceful violence. Balance. With a new graphic engine, this game will give you a heart-attack, especially those canyons. I don't wanna go off-topic or sound selfish but all other car games for me seem childish and this is the ''Art'' thread.

bijJE6.jpg

Damn those are some graphics, you gotta submit your own photo though.

We actually have about 15 entries now, I think. Can everyone who submitted multiple entries please let me know which one they want to be their actual entry, and I'll get the poll started?

What do you think of this one? It has an actual sculpture in the bottom right of a bass clef. Kinda got washed out unfortunately.

Taken from the pedestrian bridge in Nashville
IMG_20200628_190144.jpg

We actually have about 15 entries now, I think. Can everyone who submitted multiple entries please let me know which one they want to be their actual entry, and I'll get the poll started?

the second one on post #37

Nice, I like that picture. The sculpture reminds me of a rollercoaster.

Nice, I like that picture. The sculpture reminds me of a rollercoaster.
Yea but is it better for this than the Kodachrome basin at night?

I feel like I'm slippin'

Win 2 in a row and now I'm getting blown out of the water just when I thought I was the best /s

Yea but is it better for this than the Kodachrome basin at night?

I feel like I'm slippin'

Win 2 in a row and now I'm getting blown out of the water just when I thought I was the best /s

I prefer the Kodachrome basin as an image in it's own right, but the Nashville one probably fits the brief better. Ultimately, it's your choice. But either way, we ain't letting you win again motherfucker!! You're going down... :ROFLMAO: