• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photo Contest (VOTING CLOSED) Round 402: Snapshots

Please vote for your favorite entry from among the below contestants!

• 1. mal3volent

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 2. Xorkoth

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 3. hydroazuanacaine

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 4. Zopiclone bandit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. schizopath

• 6. nuttynutskin

• 7. Lizzy1Fair

• 8. Rhokc

• 10. andyturbo

• 11. chinup

• 12. DopeM

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • 13. F.U.B.A.R.

• 14. katykattt

• 15. Tubbs

• 16. madness00

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
WELCOME TO PHOTO CONTEST #402!

Congrats to our winner, DopeM!

This round's theme is SNAPSHOT as selected by your reigning champion: hydroazuanacaine

==========================================================================================

VOTING IS OPEN! Below are your contestants and their entries. Please review and place your vote in the poll!
I'll leave this open for a couple of weeks and then we'll have a winner!
1. mal3volent

2. Xorkoth

9qegOG6.jpg

3. hydroazuanacaine

cosmopoliton%2B1280.jpg

4. Zopiclone Bandit

5. schizopath

DSC_0003 (4).JPG

6. nuttynutskin

79143754_10221716731333047_39631136413974528_o.jpg

7. Lizzy1Fair

20191123_173558.jpg

8. Rhokc

20191213_200813~2.jpg

10. andyturbo

20191204_111917.jpg

11. chinup

12. DopeM

[REMOVED AT USER'S REQUEST]

13. F.U.B.A.R.

14. katykattt

3E40DE54-9A9A-4477-9DDB-8A6BD247424E.jpeg

15. Tubbs

16. madness00

9PCxVua.jpg

==========================================================================================​

Submissions must be original photographs, with or without pre or post editing.

A snapshot is a photograph that is "shot" spontaneously and quickly, most often without artistic or journalistic intent.

Snapshots are commonly technically "imperfect" or amateurish—out of focus or poorly framed or composed.

Common snapshot subjects include the events of everyday life, such as birthday parties and other celebrations, sunsets, children playing, group photos, tourist attractions and the like.

Now taking your submissions! Submit to the heartless rulers of the dearest of all the Internet forums, LAVA!

LAVA Photo Contest Rules
  1. This contest is open to everyone, regardless of equipment and skill level.
  2. Submissions will be taken until December 15th (subject to change depending on participation level).
  3. Voting will open from December 16th through December 31st (subject to change depending on participation level).
  4. Photographs or variations of a photograph cannot be recycled from previous rounds.
  5. Photographs must be your original work.
  6. Post your photo in the the form of an image, not a link to click on.
    • To insert an image, host the image on a 3rd party site and post it using the picture button or this code [IMG]...[/IMG].
    • Those who wish to participate in sharing full versions of their entries may do so by providing a link to the full sized version in the same post as their entry.
    • Please be sure the dimensions of your photo are not obtrusive when displayed.
      • Free image resizing and hosting website - Imgur, or...
      • Updated: Images can now be easily resized in Bluelight posts by simply dragging them from the corner into the size you want. We like Xenforo. %)
  7. The winner shall be crowned and known throughout the land (of BL) henceforth as Casual Observer (or something else related to the topic should you feel strongly about it)
  8. Don't be boring! Don't vote for your own photo. Make it fun and pick a favorite from your worthy competitors.

Previous thread here

Win the contest and earn a new custom profile title in time for the dead of winter. It also comes with a comforter made of mega-down from the fleece of ultra-sheep, to make sure you keep warm.

Submit as many entries as you want and get feedback on them. If you submit multiple photos and do not specify which one you want to go with, the most recent will be chosen for voting. Please be aware of when the contest will close, it will be announced ahead of time. Once the final entries are put into the first post and voting is opened, we cannot change your entry.

Last edited:
Shit I tried to move your post, ZB, but it ended up going before the first post of the thread. Can you just repost your submission in here? That would be easiest.

Just a little comment about the brief.

These first two lines are contradictory:

"Submissions must be original photographs, with or without pre or post editing.

A snapshot is a photograph that is "shot" spontaneously and quickly, most often without artistic or journalistic intent."

The very definition of 'snapshot' surely precludes 'pre or post editing'...

Here's a snapshot I took while on the tail end of a DOPr trip with my buddy. Had been up all day and night and was out after dawn hanging out with the farm animals. I snapped this picture which I thought looked really cool at the time. I still think it looks cool. It's a reflection off the rear window of my car, of myself and the sky and some trees, plus the view showing through of inside the car juxtaposed. with it. And myself of course, with face conveniently covered. And a nip if you look closely. ;)

9qegOG6.jpg

A snapshot is a photograph that is "shot" spontaneously and quickly, most often without artistic or journalistic intent."

I'd say you're probably right, that editing in a category asking for casual spontaneous pics is probably not really what we're looking for. Interested how hydroazuanacaine feels.

all photos go through post. take it on a shitty camera phone and then not edit it yourself? still went through post (phone did it instantly on auto). now i’d agree that a photo that went through some weird artsy cartoonish manipulation would have a difficult time qualifying as a snapshot.

also snapshot is a style. wiki might say without artistic intent, but cindy sherman, nan goldin, and i would disagree.

all photos go through post. take it on a shitty camera phone and then not edit it yourself? still went through post (phone did it instantly on auto). now i’d agree that a photo that went through some weird artsy cartoonish manipulation would have a difficult time qualifying as a snapshot.

also snapshot is a style. wiki might say without artistic intent, but cindy sherman, nan goldin, and i would disagree.

Right. So it's an 'anything goes' snapshot? ;)

How would you define a snapshot then?

having characteristics like unposed and un-arranged everyday subjects. often people. often family or friends. basic composition. loose focus or tight aperture. fast, handheld exposure (as in no obvious use of tripod). mildly wide to normal focal length. direct flash. no blatant symbolism. fleeting moment. while it doesn’t have to possess all these characteristics and i’m certainly not thinking off all the characteristics to mention, that’s how i’d describe a snapshot.

Last edited:
Nightmare. I've got a Ssmsung Galaxy s9 and cant upload a pic as the file is too large,how can I do it? It's a jpeg 4.83 MB.