Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Volunteering

UniStoner

Bluelighter
(Mods: Dont know if this fits in Drug Discussion or social. Sorry!)

I would like to volunteer to help out on one of those nightclub
first aid teams that deals with OD's and the like. Does anyone have experience in this (or a similar) field? My training is limited to a basic first aid course I took a few years ago in school.

Where would I start? Perhaps with the ambo's at St. Johns?

Any info/advice would be much appreciated.

If you're looking specifically at a first aid team, St John's Ambulance is probably a good bet. It is common for them to be at events because they provide qualified first aid for free because they're volunteer teams. Simple.

You would need to update your first aid training, and probably undertake more advanced qualifications as well.

BT: I'm not sure the Harm Reduction contacts will be the right place to go if the interest is literally first aid volunteering. While harm reduction crews often deal with minor situations, if there is a first aid team such as St Johns then they really should be referring problems to the first aid set up. Or getting the help to the location of the situation.
Although it does provide another avenue for volunteering to help with the health of the partying community, and probably will enable more regionally specific advise to be given to UniStoner :)