• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin vocal hoarseness from heroin

simco

Bluelight Crew
I did a search on BL for 'hoarse hoarseness raspy' and came up empty, so I'm starting a new thread for this question. Sorry if it's a repeat.

I'm a pretty light user of heroin, going on about 18 months. This question is about one odd, but not particularly terrible side effect I've noticed from H. Every time I use, about an hour or two in, my voice gets hoarse (kinda raspy and quiet). I don't exactly mind it, except that if I have to deal with anyone who doesn't know I've used, it's awkward. It goes away once the high wears off.

Anyhow, in the past, my ROA was always snorting, so I figured the vocal issue was just some kind of irritation of my sinuses/throat, etc. But this week I tried plugging for the first time. I was surprised when the hoarseness hit me despite the completely different and distant ROA. (yes, I'm aware that there are about 1000 possible jokes to be made here ;)).

I've heard that some people get a histamine response at injection sites when they IV opiates. Does anyone know if something like that might be what's at work here? Again, this side effect isn't a huge deal. Just curious.

This is a commonly experienced side effect in heroin users. I've had some people say the nickname horse was born from this common side effect.

I used to deduce when people were and weren't high by the crunch in their voice. Not a fool proof method, but hey.

As for what causes the hoarseness, heroin, like a lot of opioids, has powerful anti anti tussive properties. These effects are part of what made it so popular in medicine to begin with (not long ago respiratory illness was the scourge of man).

Just a wild guess: perhaps the drug increases mucus production which would not only protect from cough, but would also cause the hoarseness of voice that so many experience.

I've always heard that some properties about heroin, opium were often used as anti tussive long time ago.
So like Keif' suggested, it may have something to do with your voice. Besides it's extremely relaxant which leads you to speak like that.

One question, how did you plug? Did you experience the same effects. I'm just curious

@Erikmen, regarding the plugging. I followed "bojangles'" description at:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-567754.html
That is, first I affixed a few inches of plastic tubing to a syringe. Then dissolved the H in 2ml water. (my standard insufflating dose of finely crushed #4.) Pulled in a little air, lubed the tubing up and *slowly* worked it up there, about 3-4 inches I'd guess. Pushed the syringe and let things settle for 5 mins before moving much.
It worked in the sense that following those directions, no H got wasted and nothing spilled. But I'm not sure quite what happened in terms of the effect... I certainly felt it. But nowhere near what I get from snorting. Overall, a pleasant enough experiment. But I'm not sure I'll go back for more.

Thanks, @Keif and @Erikemen on the info. Very helpful. I can't believe I hadn't heard of that before.