• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Visiting the doctor tomorrow..question about getting an early / new script

Recreant793

Greenlighter
Sorry if the title is misleading I was a bit unsure how to write it. But in a nutshell, I'm visiting my doctor tomorrow at 2pm for a follow up. I believe the last time I saw him was in July where he wrote me a prescription for 60 1mg Ativan, as a swap for the Clonazepam he had me on previously. The script he wrote gave me 3 refills. In July, it did the job fairly well, albeit a weak benzo, but definitely a quicker relief than the Clonazepam I was taking. In August, I noticed that I had to up my dose a bit to get the same relief, and now being September, I had to increase my dose even more and ran out about 2 weeks into the month. I would normally get a refill on the 6th of each month, meaning if I was taking it as recommended I would routinely not be able to get a new prescription for another 8 days.

At some point I am really hoping he will consider Alprazolam but I will of course not mention that. So with that being said, do I let him know about my tolerance and see if he could increase my dosage to maybe a 2mg Ativan instead of a 1mg? Or let him know that I would like to explore other options. I am hesitant about that specifically because if he agrees to try something else, and it isn't Alprazolam, I might regret not having the Ativan.

Also, knowing that I normally get my routine prescription on the 6th, would he even consider writing a new script this early for anything because of how quick I went though my last prescription? He's a nice guy and all but I know the stigma that comes with benzo use.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks BL.

Last edited:
Did he give you the ok to up the dose or you just did it on your own? No way am I judging, just trying to get the facts.

Well your appointment is tomorrow, so be honest and say it just isnt doing the job anymore. At the very worst he will write you the same script but it may be too early to fill. That may or may not be an issue depending on insurance and your pharmacy, but I cant see away around it if the dose doesnt change or it fails to go through on your plan. Im being a bit vague because we really cannot tell you what to say or do to get drugs from your doctor or pharmacy.

Of course. I understand it's all relevant. I am just not too hip with the pharmacy scene, I just began getting treatment for my anxiety maybe 5 months ago. I've never bothered with any prescriptions before then. I do have some pretty good insurance and my regular pharmacy is Walgreens. For what it's worth.

I'm in Canada, but the way our pharmacies work is if you have X refills on Ativan (or whatever) and bring in a new script for a different drug in the same class (like Xanax) it would cancel out your Ativan refills. There is no way around this except by visiting a different chain BUT when the hospital or doc ever decides to pull your pharmacy records, they will see the shadiness. Course if it only happens once it prob wouldn't be a big deal.
Insurance does have protocol (different rules for different companies, like say the script can only be filled 7 days prior to the end of the last one. I find it a moot point. As in ALL cases, the pharmacists discretion / chain policy is far stricter than insurance. Around here you may not pick up narcotic ER med until you are out. Not just out but due for a dose (day 31). Only exception is by special permission of the pharmy.

I would also tell him the truth. You liked how Ativan provided faster relief , but the relief it did provide seemed weaker than clonaxepam. "I don't suppose there is something that gives best of both worlds?"
In re: to your fear you'll get switched and it's worse than what you're in now- do not take more like you have been. Creates a poor pattern . Go back within a few days. "This isn't helping at all". Tell the girl up front u were trying a replacement med for panic and it's ineffective, so you'll need a quick appointment, or to be switched back. If doc is busy you can pick up script at the desk.

Yes I will absolutely be honest. I am just trying to find a good median between telling the truth and nudging toward something a bit more potent without raising a red flag. I have no deviant motives but I know how sensitive the pharmaceutical scene is. And I live in Florida where there is increasingly zero tolerance for pill abuse. It is very easy to get wrongfully judged.

How come you got off Klonopin to begin with. Xanax and Klonopin are about the same potency. The main diffrence is Xanax kicks in pretty quick.

So how come you don't take Klonopin anymore?
I think Ativan is a great drug. The problem is, it's short acting. If Ativan lasted as long Clonazepam, it just might be my benzodiazepine of choice.

Just be honest. Increasing the dosage of a new medication is entirely routine, and inquiring about his opinion on alprazolam is certainly not out of bounds.

Generic benzos are cheap. In the worst case scenario, you can walk out with the same script, and fill it at a pharmacy you've never been to before and pay for it out of pocket for $15 at most. I'm aware that the monitoring of controlled substances in Florida is MUCH more severe than it is in the rest of the country, however, so take that advice with a huge grain of salt and do some research first.

You are a consumer of healthcare OP. I am also in the state of florida. I take xanax and temazepam. I have a rapport with my doctor that involves extreme honesty. He helped me get through heroin detox and suggested kratom to me, also he has suggested marijuana for me for my anxiety, but I had to tell him it causes me more anxiety. Most doctors are hip to abuse, but would rather you be open and honest about your lifestyle. As I said you are a consumer of healthcare...you vote with your money. Insurance is trying to take the power of choice away from you, however you do have the choice of where you go and who you see. Be straightforward about what is ailing you, tell him the ativan isn't working and you are running out due to having to take more. If he is not too keen on treating you and making you comfortable, go elsewhere. You have that right because we do live in a capitalist society.

Also, switch to a mom and pop pharmacy. Not only are they nicer, and a lot more understanding about these things, they need your business to compete with chain pharmacies. I go to a fellow that knows me, knows my family, knows my conditions and actually gives me sound medical advice when it comes to my prescriptions. He saved my grandmother 200 dollars on her scripts that CVS couldn't be bothered to look into for her. I also know his family. This community relationship makes for better business, not to mention when i was on subutex sometimes I didn't have all my money and he let me slide until I did because he knew I needed it. When it comes to my benzos scripts he gave me lots of good advice about the medications that I take. Like only use xanax if you really need it because the more you use it, the less effective it is, even after a long break from taking it. Or with the temazepam, taking it at the same time every night makes it more effective for sleeping. He also put them in a blister pack for me so I didn't double dose (I have horrible bad memory after a few overdoses on xanax and heroin).

Just remember, the power is in your hands, not the doctors. If this doctor isn't helping you, find a different one...it is your privilege, nay, your duty as a concientious consumer.

and when it comes to doctors getting hip to xanax abuse, just don't beat around the bush and be shady. The shadiness factor is what causes them to not want to prescribe meds.

I'm on prescription pain killers and have found that you must contact your doctor right way if shit isn't working as it should. They see you continuing to take your current script more then prescribed and then running out and telling them you need better meds as addict abuse behavior.

^^ doctors are getting hip to Xanax abuse.

No, they're not. They're professionals who have been very well aware of its high potential for abuse for decades. They're also aware that the large demand for these pharmaceuticals is a large opportunity cost if they're too conservative about writing run-of-the-mill benzos that other doctors hand out like drink tickets.

So long as the OP doesn't spill the beans about abusing the rest of his lorazepam, his psychiatrist isn't liable for malpractice in the least, so the chances weigh in the patient's favor that he'll at least have his request taken seriously.

Psychiatrists are businessmen, not cops.

I think a lot of doctors are still mostly familiar with the medical literature about benzodiazepines which indicates that the class of drug aren't particularly addictive (at least, not in the sense that it activates "drug seeking behavior" among its users). Which is probably part of the reason that they are schedule IV drugs. As I've said many times on here, the vast majority of people who are prescribed Xanax who AREN'T already substance abusers and/or polydrug addicts have no problem controlling their dosages and not abusing their prescriptions.

As recent as 2011/2012 when I was scripted Xanax, I was told when I got the prescription from the doctor that the risk of addiction was very low with the drug.

Man I'm straight up with these doctors. I'm sick of playing around and dancing around. They're all cowards at this point. Might as well ask them what they think of putting you on a certain med. If your in your 30s chances are if he has you on clonapin (can't spell) he won't just dismiss your questions. If your in your 20s watch out, they're profiling you like a mofo, make no mistake about it. Here in Georgia at least. Maybe my attitude has matured over the years and my genuine disgust doesn't peg Their bullshit meter anymore... I Dunno. . I refuse to wait for the doc to suggest what I'm looking for.

Well what ended up happening was he increased the quantity from 60 per month to 90. Plus another script for something to slowly treat my anxiety over time. I stopped by the pharmacy a few hours later to see what I had available, and it seems that only the new script was available. So I suppose I'll be waiting another week for my Ativan. I expected as much though.

Man I'm straight up with these doctors. I'm sick of playing around and dancing around. They're all cowards at this point. Might as well ask them what they think of putting you on a certain med. If your in your 30s chances are if he has you on clonapin (can't spell) he won't just dismiss your questions. If your in your 20s watch out, they're profiling you like a mofo, make no mistake about it. Here in Georgia at least. Maybe my attitude has matured over the years and my genuine disgust doesn't peg Their bullshit meter anymore... I Dunno. . I refuse to wait for the doc to suggest what I'm looking for.

^^Excellent point. OP, some doctors assholes. They see it their way, and don't care about what you think
If you don't like it move on to someone else. There are a lot of doctors out there.
9Lives83 made an excellent point . You might run into what he is referring to. Take his post into account.
It's all about how you carry yourself. Be very matue, stick to your current problems/issues and do not tell them anything you don't want them to know, or what they don't need to know. Just the facts.!Don't over talk, but be direct and honest. I'm sure you know some of this already, but a little more information never hurts. I hope it works out for you.