• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol very fast taper

butcher22

Bluelighter
I drink on average around 10 beers a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I have been an alcoholic most of my adult life. For years I drank about a liter of vodka a day but I went into detox a couple years ago and sobered up, after a few grand mal seizures and all sorts of mental and physical hell.
I fell off the wagon about 8 months ago but usually avoid hard liquor and don't get as trashed as I used to.
So here's the deal. My wife is having a baby in 11 days. It's a scheduled c-section so we'll be in the hospital for 3 days before we can come home and I need to have a handle on this before then.
Not only that but I am absolutely broke and can't afford any more beer. I have about 15 beers left, half a bottle of L-theanine, 4 clons and some instant kava.
I could possibly get one more 30 pack of beer but that'd be it. My goal is to drink 6 beers today, 4 tomorrow, 3 the next day, 1 the following day and zero from there.
Do you guys think that is doable? I have had one beer today so far about 15 minutes ago and i'm still shaking a bit as I type this.
Medical detox is not an option.

Alcohol withdrawal takes more than 4 days especially with well established drinking habits, I think you're giving yourself an impossible mission.

The only taper I can think of is 6-6-5-5-5-4-4-4-4-3-3-3-3-3-2-2-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-0

It's a month-long taper requiring 78 beers. You can do it with 45 but it's harder:

6-5-4-4-3-3-3-2-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-0

I drink on average around 10 beers a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I have been an alcoholic most of my adult life. For years I drank about a liter of vodka a day but I went into detox a couple years ago and sobered up, after a few grand mal seizures and all sorts of mental and physical hell.
I fell off the wagon about 8 months ago but usually avoid hard liquor and don't get as trashed as I used to.
So here's the deal. My wife is having a baby in 11 days. It's a scheduled c-section so we'll be in the hospital for 3 days before we can come home and I need to have a handle on this before then.
Not only that but I am absolutely broke and can't afford any more beer. I have about 15 beers left, half a bottle of L-theanine, 4 clons and some instant kava.
I could possibly get one more 30 pack of beer but that'd be it. My goal is to drink 6 beers today, 4 tomorrow, 3 the next day, 1 the following day and zero from there.
Do you guys think that is doable? I have had one beer today so far about 15 minutes ago and i'm still shaking a bit as I type this.
Medical detox is not an option.

I wouldnt "plan" to have 6 beers today, just make sure you dont exceed that. If you drink 5, be happy, dont think "I have another one left to drink!".

Unfortunately alcohol detox is one of the few that can be life threatening. You are going to have a rough go of it, but it's doable. I was in jail last year for 3 months, was on medical watch detox for 7 days (was only supposed to be on 2). I'd advise taking more than 4 days if possible. and ativan/benzos can help a great deal. GRatz on soon to be dad, but know this: you have to get clean for yourself, not your wife or baby. Good luck man

maybe I'm crazy, 10 beers seems at the low end of alcohol abuse. I myself don't get the real shakes til the 20 beers/hitting pints level, although I certainly feel bad. I think you can do it in that amount of time, I just drank for 20 days straight in mexico 10 beers a day and tapered down 10 - 9 - 7 - 5 - 3 - 2 - done, at the end those clons and kava will get real useful. DO NOT use them until then. You may want to look into a tiny bit of phenibut, it's cheap and usable VERY short term.

maybe I'm crazy, 10 beers seems at the low end of alcohol abuse. I myself don't get the real shakes til the 20 beers/hitting pints level, although I certainly feel bad. I think you can do it in that amount of time, I just drank for 20 days straight in mexico 10 beers a day and tapered down 10 - 9 - 7 - 5 - 3 - 2 - done, at the end those clons and kava will get real useful. DO NOT use them until then. You may want to look into a tiny bit of phenibut, it's cheap and usable VERY short term.

you can def have wd from 10 a day. esp if that maintenance drinking which has been on going for years.

OP, I would try and do it slower.
no chance you can get a script for some valium? you could rapid taper with 20-25 5mgs. its not totally smooth but it has worked well for me in a pinch.

you can def have wd from 10 a day. esp if that maintenance drinking which has been on going for years.

OP, I would try and do it slower.
no chance you can get a script for some valium? you could rapid taper with 20-25 5mgs. its not totally smooth but it has worked well for me in a pinch.
This
A rapid tapper with a long acting benzo would be your best bet

Yeah, 10 a day isn't much at all compared to how I used to drink, But I think because of my heavy drinking in the past for so many years that I am a lot more sensitive now to withdrawal. Valium would be nice but I can't get it. I forgot to mention that I do have phenibut and it is useful but I am very careful to never use it more than once a week because I went through hell with quitting it in the past.
I ended up drinking 7 beers yesterday, but sipped slowly and spaced them out, just enough to keep the sweats and shakes under control and that showed me that I have been drinking way more than 10 a day. It's easy for your brain to lie to you about how much you are actually consuming.
Either way, I actually slept well and woke up and puked up some bile but aside from that I actually feel really good today. I am going to take everyones advice and prolong the taper a bit but it will still be rather fast, but I am confident that I can do this. I'm sure I'll have some PAWS for a bit, but I'll get through it.
Thanks for the awesome advice everyone. I will keep you updated.

My main reason for doing it fast is that when my wife has her C-section I'll be in the hospital for 3 days with her and won't be able to continue my taper in there unless I sneak in some vodka or something and that'll be harder to measure. That and just that we can't really afford it any more once my wife goes on maternity leave.