• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Vein locations for IV'ing heroin.

rofl_227

Greenlighter
Having problems finding veins other then the elbow area. I'm pretty sure I need to give that area a rest on both arms. Are there any good spots between the elbow and the shoulder? I've had zero success anywhere on the forearm even though i can even see the veins through the skin. I figure since the area around my elbow is so messed up from all the injections over the last few days it might be better to try an area above that so the drugs dont have to go through that area. Any help would be appreciated.

It has been discussed before and although this is a pretty basic question, I think that we came to the consensus that IV threads would be moved to OD.

Sorry OD mods if it should stay in BDD, feel free to move it back :)

As an EMT who inserts IVs all the time as well as shoot myself up I can tell you that you most certainly do not need to go poking around between your elbow and shoulder. The cephalic and basillic veins go deep into the bicep area where they all merge under your armpit to form the axillary vein, the 'main vein' for you arm if you will. Not to mention that as the veins go deeper they snug up against arteries and nerves which you definitely would not want to hit. Give the wrist cephallic a try, take your hand and turn it sideways like you're going to shake someones hand, and point your thumb downwards into your palm and look for the vein that looks like it run straight up the back of your thumb, thats the cephallic in your wrist. Its a very easy spot to access when IV'ing and I often use it as an insertion point for catheters on patients. Good luck, let me know if you have trouble finding it.

I can see it, I will give it a try later on. I assume that since i can see this vein that its very close to the surface of my skin. How deep should i stick the needle in before pulling back the plunger? Since this is on my hand and I can't cover it I'm hoping I can get this done first try to minimize track marks.

I can see it, I will give it a try later on. I assume that since i can see this vein that its very close to the surface of my skin. How deep should i stick the needle in before pulling back the plunger? Since this is on my hand and I can't cover it I'm hoping I can get this done first try to minimize track marks.

Its a superficial vein so you won't need to stick too deep. I'm assuming you know the proper insertion techniques of inserting at a shallow angle and with the bevel of the needle facing up and the tip of the needle pointing back towards the heart to go with the bloodflow in the vein. Assuming you have all that down pat, its a very easy spot to hit if you use a tourniquet (which I would highly recommend) you should see whats called a "flash" when you hit the vein, a little bit of blood will actually rush up the needle itself without you having to jack back on the plunger, after you see the flash, pull the plunger back just a tad to make sure you're still in and then inject slowly and enjoy your nod ;) Let me know if you need any more information.

Ok, and use the touniquet somewhere on the forearm? I've always had issues with the tourniquet because I find it hard to keep everything still when trying to remove it before injecting. All i really have at this point is a belt but it seems to do the trick.

Ok, and use the touniquet somewhere on the forearm? I've always had issues with the tourniquet because I find it hard to keep everything still when trying to remove it before injecting. All i really have at this point is a belt but it seems to do the trick.

Its a tricky thing to master but if you can get it to where you can hold it tight with your teeth and then just drop it from your teeth and make it loosen when you get in the vein you won't have to worry about removing it completely.. Just tighten it, hold with your teeth, register the vein, let go of it with your teeth and let it fall loosely around your arm, just be careful not to let it slide down and get in the way of your injection.

i tired but i just cant do it. I cant get blood to pull into the syringe. After i pull out the needle, there blood coming to the surface but i cant get it into the syringe....too deep?

Give the wrist cephallic a try, take your hand and turn it sideways like you're going to shake someones hand, and point your thumb downwards into your palm and look for the vein that looks like it run straight up the back of your thumb, thats the cephallic in your wrist. Its a very easy spot to access when IV'ing and I often use it as an insertion point for catheters on patients. Good luck, let me know if you have trouble finding it.

I was looking at my wrist and I just want to make sure I am following you. The wrist cephallic would be more on the "top"/ "side" part of your wrist than the bottom correct? I ask because the vein (i think it is an artery) that comes from the the bottom (underside) of my wrist and then goes up the back side of thumb, I can detect a pulse in, and it is also the stereotypical place to feel for a pulse on someones wrist so I assume this is not the "vein" you are describing but rather an artery.

The vein I think you are describing is more towards the top/side of my wrist, and if i follow it toward my thumb, it seems to actually go to the "V" between my thumb and index, then possibly forks but definitely veers right along my thumb. If I'm looking at my LEFT hand as i type it is on the right hand side of my wrist, just a little bit above the actual side point of my wrist (where there is a little "point"), and I cannot detect a pulse in it, which is a good sign I know. It is very superficial and i can feel it under my skin.

As a side note, how worried does one have to be about hitting an artery in the backs of one's hands? There seem to be many bulging veins back there that I could easily hit, but I just like to be cautious. Additionally, what do you think about shooting into the tops of ones feet? Kind of the same question as the hands, but with feet. I hear that you should avoid feet, if your arms and hands are accessible and not collapsed, true?

Even I have some input regarding IV'ing into the feet. From what I've learned, from many different sources, avoid IV'ing the feet. Due to the nature of the feet, (sweaty, dirty, poor circulation) you should probably not try IV'ing in the feet. There is a higer risk of infection and they also, naturally, have poorer circulation then the rest of your limbs. Anyone who is more knowlegable about this, feel free to chip in. Although I have been unsuccessful IVing in my hands and forearms, I think its a better idea to continue in the elbow area, then to resort to the feet. I've just been making slight changes in the area where i'm piercing the skin.

Delrio, being a paramedic, seems to know what he/she is talking about. Although I have been unsuccessful IVing into the wrist cephallic vein close to the thumb. I trust that with practise, it is a suitable alternative to the elbow.

I was looking at my wrist and I just want to make sure I am following you. The wrist cephallic would be more on the "top"/ "side" part of your wrist than the bottom correct? I ask because the vein (i think it is an artery) that comes from the the bottom (underside) of my wrist and then goes up the back side of thumb, I can detect a pulse in, and it is also the stereotypical place to feel for a pulse on someones wrist so I assume this is not the "vein" you are describing but rather an artery.

The vein I think you are describing is more towards the top/side of my wrist, and if i follow it toward my thumb, it seems to actually go to the "V" between my thumb and index, then possibly forks but definitely veers right along my thumb. If I'm looking at my LEFT hand as i type it is on the right hand side of my wrist, just a little bit above the actual side point of my wrist (where there is a little "point"), and I cannot detect a pulse in it, which is a good sign I know. It is very superficial and i can feel it under my skin.

As a side note, how worried does one have to be about hitting an artery in the backs of one's hands? There seem to be many bulging veins back there that I could easily hit, but I just like to be cautious. Additionally, what do you think about shooting into the tops of ones feet? Kind of the same question as the hands, but with feet. I hear that you should avoid feet, if your arms and hands are accessible and not collapsed, true?

The vein I'm describing is on the anterior side of the hand. Its the one that runs along the back side of the thumb towards the top of your hand. As far as arteries go, they run deep inside the carpals of the wrist, you're not going to hit one in the top of your hand, those are all superficial veins.

This picture should help you out alot. Study it. Know it. Use it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Gray573.png

I'm experiencing lots of redness, itchyness and a slight burning sensation in my wrist after injecting into the cephalic in the thumb area. Seems weird because I didnt insert the needle into the wrist. Could this be serious? Seems to be getting a little better now, been about 15 minutes since injection.

I'm experiencing lots of redness, itchyness and a slight burning sensation in my wrist after injecting into the cephalic in the thumb area. Seems weird because I didnt insert the needle into the wrist. Could this be serious? Seems to be getting a little better now, been about 15 minutes since injection.

Sounds like just a localized histamine reaction. Nothing serious. Now if it was painful and swollen that wouldn't be good because those are signs of a miss. But as long as its just a little itchy and red you're fine.

are you an EMT or a Paramedic? where i'm from you can't inset IV's as a standard EMT......but just wondering if you've seen this.....i'm a very small girl(5'4"ish 100lbs soaking wet) and i have pretty much no muscle mass but i can easily hit my bicep, its a continuation of the vein that you find in the crook of your elbow.....its just way easier for me to hit. is it really that bad if it potrudes so much and it's just so goddamn easy??? and fuck the axillary vein that scares me......and the femoral......anything thats the main supply of blood to a limb(or my head!!!) but i digressed,

ok, i've found the new most frustrating thing in the world.... having a shot all ready to go but not being able to hit a vein.....DAMN

ok, i've found the new most frustrating thing in the world.... having a shot all ready to go but not being able to hit a vein.....DAMN

Practice and patience my friend. Don't fret, it will get easier if you study the vein anatomy of the arms and hands. As far as the basillic someone mentioned earlier, I must warn you that the Ulnar nerve runs right next to the basillic and you DO NOT want to knick it, I've accidentally done it before and it will ruin your day, trust me, leave the basillic alone until you get more experience under your belt.

DariaAnne, I'm an EMT-P, a Paramedic.