• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Valium or Xanax?

bigballsack53

Greenlighter
I'm currently exploring the difference between these 2 drugs and am relatively new to them. What do you guys prefer? What works best in certain situations? Let me know your thoughts.

Also hope this is the right thread for this question. I'm new to Bluelight:) thanks

I'm currently exploring the difference between these 2 drugs and am relatively new to them. What do you guys prefer? What works best in certain situations? Let me know your thoughts.

Also hope this is the right thread for this question. I'm new to Bluelight:) thanks
Definitely Valium it's acts quick and last longer . Klonopin 1mg but I get only 30 from my PCP so I'm going to see a psychiatrist in Jan 2020 and hopefully She'll give me more than 30 but I have been on all the benzos you'll just need to talk to your Dr. And see what works for you. Good luck & all the best

Alprazolam is utter garbage for me. I use 3mg to stop impending panic attacks when I am short of Diazepam. It works, but not very well.
It is supposed to be fast acting buy I find little difference between the timings of Diazepam and Xanax to kick in. I also find Diazepam cleaner and longer lasting.
But I think its just testing what works bets for you. The fact Xanax is used to so wildly and abused recreationally would indicate it works for many so maybe it's just me.

I must admit, I use codeine or oxy in very small amounts to handle my anxiety when i can. It works perfectly for my anxiety and makes me more talkative and upbeat. Xanax and diazepam really blunt your personality

Valium seems more versatile, gentle, nuanced. Xanax is like being smacked hard with apathy.
Thats for sure and Xanax is very hard to come off of the withdrawals are bitch o come off it's like climbing the walls I hate Xanax it's the best high but getting off is very very dam hard I know I was on it for years. It would be nice if it wasn't addicting😲😵😱🤬💯👍😖😩😵

Def prefer Xanax...i noticed I did used to get 5mg yellow valium by Watson some years back and those seemed stronger...but 90 percent of my generic Xanax works great so I stick with that

I like both Xanax is like a punch of anxiety relieve, and Valium is more subtle and calm and Valium stays in your system longer.

I would just say, whichever you decide, if you are not dependent on benzodiazepines than first ask yourself - "Am I willing to risk lifle long dependence, that if it happens will change my personality and is harder to brake/stop than most other drugs in the world?".
You are framing the question which is similar to "What is better - oxycodone or methadone?". Well, neither opioids or benzodiazepines are great IF YOU TRULY DO NOT NEED THEM. Beware, as I have went through morphine and oxycodone withdrawal (relapsed months later, but chronic pain might have to do something with it), but was never once been able to stop benzodiazepines for more than 2 weeks because withdrawal symptoms were too much to deal with.
I wanted to stress this and not give an opinion that would be "Xanax or Valium" because this is a major decision and people who are looking "from outside" the forum should be warned about benzodiazepines on every occasion.
Sorry for this off topic disruption. OP I wish you all the luck. :)

P. S. Alprazolam never did anything worthwhile for me, except calming me down and preparing me for sleep. Diazepam on the other hand is most balanced benzodiazepine there is and I use it for anxiety, sleep issues and as a muscle relaxer that is helping with chronic pain. I guess I answered it in the end. 🤣

Edit due to P.S. part.
I always like Xanax,Valium, Etizolam are my top 3 favourite Etizolam is like a mixed of xanax and Valium had a baby jus not as sedating, my forth would be clonzapam it feels like a long version of xanax just without the punch in the face aniexty relieve fast it has a slow onset an peak effects are 3-4hrs, I believe Xanax peaks in a hour-2hrs

I've been on benzos everyday for 4 years now it just turned 4 years now I've done every benzo,
I was prescriibed phenobarbital at one point only for a month but that they tired clonzapam at first it wasn't kicking in fast enough so the next was ,then they tried Ativan but it gross me out sublingualing them the taste and dust would gross me out so that one didn't work.
alprazolam aka Xanax was next and which worked prefect so I was on Xanax they started me at 1mg worked me then increased my dosage to 2.5mg.

I now taper off down to 2mg , so now I'm prescribed 2mg 4 times daily the 0.5mg pinkies, but I've been taking 4-6mg daily from Xanax bars and just stock pile my 0.5mg alp pinkies, I was getting from friends and the presser I kno her personally and she uses every single ingredient that is in actual alprazolam products and they come out solid no powdery, if they gave it to u at pharmacy for a script no one could tell its pressed.

I'm also prescribed 10mg Valium once daily so it stays in my system longer, stays in your system for 200hr where Xanax outta ur blood in less then a day I pop my Xanaxs everyday it's just Incase I miss a dose and go into withdrawal and have a seizure from benzodiazepines.

they are the worst drug I haven't beat yet but I. I use to be an alcoholic an its was brutal but benzos made it not that bad cause they both use gabaA receptor, they fed you "blues" Valium 10mg for alcohol withdrawal. I could of probably done on my own and would be fine, but it saved my stockpile of benzos I love collecting like bars different colour ones quality ones always testing them with fentanyl stripes and there all clean with the same ingredients as real alprazolam bars

So I would drink alcohol if I'm in full through benzo withdrawal which would help an calm my brain down and I would be able sleep and it would stop my rebound anxiety an my heart would beat properly and when u go through a benzo, z drug barbiturates and alcohol withdrawal your brain hurts you feel out off your body not in a good way you feel like your gonna die any second ,your so fucking tired but can't sleep for days, your brain fogs up sometimes. But alcohol can help for a benzo withdrawal for, same as benzos can help alcohol .

Last edited:
I would just say, whichever you decide, if you are not dependent on benzodiazepines than first ask yourself - "Am I willing to risk lifle long dependence, that if it happens will change my personality and is harder to brake/stop than most other drugs in the world?".
You are framing the question which is similar to "What is better - oxycodone or methadone?". Well, neither opioids or benzodiazepines are great IF YOU TRULY DO NOT NEED THEM. Beware, as I have went through morphine and oxycodone withdrawal (relapsed months later, but chronic pain might have to do something with it), but was never once been able to stop benzodiazepines for more than 2 weeks because withdrawal symptoms were too much to deal with.
I wanted to stress this and not give an opinion that would be "Xanax or Valium" because this is a major decision and people who are looking "from outside" the forum should be warned about benzodiazepines on every occasion.
Sorry for this off topic disruption. OP I wish you all the luck. :)

P. S. Alprazolam never did anything worthwhile for me, except calming me down and preparing me for sleep. Diazepam on the other hand is most balanced benzodiazepine there is and I use it for anxiety, sleep issues and as a muscle relaxer that is helping with chronic pain. I guess I answered it in the end. 🤣

Edit due to P.S. part.
But benzo withdrawal is way worse then opiate withdrawal I haven't beat my benzo addiction the doctor said it could take years, but u can't breathe and can't sleep for weeks, muscles ache, your head feels likes its comprising itself and you feel like your gonna die, the rebound anxiety is crazy it's hard to breath, legit have to go a really long tapering process, I've been tapering my self, but do it slowly and not huge doses decrease or that can still leave in withdrawal

I have been through opiate detox twice one cold turkey off dilaudid last like a week of flu likes systems and 1 week of mental issues but I was able to sleep, now my second was on suboxone and it was roughy one it lasted a month t and half weeks of flue like symptoms plus the lingering mind issues benzos, Clonidine and Benadryl helps a lot with lyrica ask helps or phenibut if u don't have access to lyrica. I'm still on opiates right now and it's prescribed cause I relapsed so I'm on methadone cause suboxone made me sick a lot of time and methadone has been working grea

Benzos are a short term solution to a long term problem. Not good, 'eh?

Hydroxyzine!

Sorry for the length, I have a difficult time keeping things short. The following is solid info, I think a lot of members would back up what I have to say.

I'm presuming OP is having emotional issues that they would like addressed with a benzo, if it is for physical purposes such as muscle spasms or seizures this is not for the OP.

Anxiety and benzos:

Please consider the very serious downsides of benzos taken for more than a couple of months, you become a slave to them, they are the absolute worst class of drugs to be addicted to when the time comes to discontinue them, right up there with alcohol and barbs and way, way worse than opioid addiction - I know this from my own history and that of millions of others.

If you do go with a benzo it definitely should be done at the exact same time you're making progress with CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). The benzo should be used solely for the purpose of facilitating the therapy - in office and out in the 'real world'. After a couple months you can discontinue the benzo and go about your life with a new tool kit and many ways to reduce your anxiety if it flares up.

There are non-dependency forming compounds that you can use after the discontinuation of benzos, ask your psych about these.

Continuing benzo therapy for more than two months hasn't been shown to do much. There's one significant exception but that's for people like myself, which I doubt you are like b/c you're not addicted to them, and won't be, right?

They are not "fun" drugs. If you find they are you likely have some sort of anxiety at the moment, but it well could be normal, a bad day of anxiety inducing events and almost anyone would feel better with 0.25-mg Xanax, just as they would likely enjoy the relief of some ethanol. That doesn't make it wise to use them for everyday anxiety, just as drinking to relieve anxiety daily is a terrible idea, although billions of people do it daily it doesn't mean their life is better for it.

Klonopin is the benzo you would want for GAD w/ Panic. Maybe Ativan (lorazepam), but most people find Klonopin (clonaZEPAM) to be the best. Really any should do for the two months you're using them, I suggest Klonopin b/c it is easy to dose, once a day or 2x/day, last a long time, doesn't give rebound anxiety like Xanax.

In my experience Xanax acerbates anxiety by adding rebound anxiety to the mix - for many - none of this info would cover everyone of course.

I empathize deeply with anyone suffering from GAD and or PD w/ or w/o agoraphobia as I have all of them to a life-limiting extent, very life limiting - as in I'm around 50 years old and retired b/c I can't deal with the work place well enough and happen to be well enough off that I can do so. But I'd really rather be part of the 99% crowd (which I am technically) - and work, have a social life and enjoy my free time.

If I could go back, I would have denied them except for a low dose two month supply (0.5- to 1-mg Klonopin), at 1.0-mg it's a moderate to high dose (eq. to 20-mg valium) so maybe 0.25-mg 2xday would be good, much more and you're asking for problems at the end of two months and the sedation might well be too much.

Because I didn't start my CBT for several years after being prescribed Klonopin I'm left with a terrible benzo dependency. I can't taper completely off after 16 years on this stuff - which was about 15 years and 10 months too long.

Don't let the hype here or anywhere else fool you that benzos are the best thing ever. Those folks usually come back a few months to years later regretting it terribly, many begging for advice on how to relieve the god awful, potentially fatal withdrawals.

Re-uptake inhibitors may be better for you. SSRIs and other re-uptake inhibitors, approved as anti-depressants, one of them is FDA approved for GAD.

They didn't do shit for me but they work for a lot of people. I tired them back in the day when Paxil was the SSRI of the week (ca. 2000), and it bombed terribly for me. The newer genration re-uptaker inhibitors I have heard better results from, but as I mentioned only one of them is US FDA approved for GAD, one of the newer ones.

They too cause dependency in a very fucked up way, look into SSRI discontinuation syndromes and you'll see that clearly.

I favor the hydroxizine / propranolol route and it I were a psych I'd be one of the "bitch" psychs who would only prescribe benzos, in most cases, in low dose, two week supplies and under the condition that the patient work with a therapist. Two months max for daily dosing. I wouldn't push re-uptake inhibitors. I'd offer them but leave the decision to try them to the patient.

I read two good papers yesterday, case reports of success in treating both GAD and PD with hydroxizine alone. One guy had a case so bad he was hospitalized briefly until the hydroxizine he was taking relieved his symptoms enough he was able to go about life with just that compound.

Non-dependency forming, cheap, reliable, anyone will prescribe it and it fucking works! It's a WHO essential drug so should be available in most countries. It is damn inexpensive, to buy and to use.

Hydroxyzine does more for my anxiety these days than 50-mg of Valium.

I'm a pathetic benzo addict who struggles with an addiction to a medication that isn't enjoyable in the least, benzos loose their very subjective "enjoyable" effects quickly unless you increase dose consistently and that is really bad.

I'm also a heroin and buprenorphine addict, but that's a different tale.

I urge you to talk to a psychiatrist about the protocol above for using benzos concomitantly (at the same time) with therapy, and find the therapist that suits you, you can use hydroxizine or maybe a benzo prn until you get into therapy.

FWIW - GPs/PCPs (regular physicians, internists) should not prescribe benzos for psych disorders. Many do, but the younger ones are less inclined as pharma therapy becomes more a part of medical education. Younger physicians tend to be more aware of the proper use of pharmaceuticals - when, how and why they should be used.

By presenting to your psych the case for a benzo prescribed for daily use short term along with therapy you'll likely impress your psych with your knowledge that benzos are not the long term solution, but rather that CBT - addressing the emotional issues that cause you distress - is the true and genuine solution.

That is how we beat abnormal anxiety. Everyday anxiety need not be treated, it's life and there are many things people can do to reduce anxiety in their lives. Not everyone who has a panic attack here or there or who gets very anxious has a disorder.

They may be having a difficult time coping, that's why I and may other advocate CBT as a first line treatment, it works for both reducing everyday anxiety as well as anxiety disorders and can sort out which one a person has and focus on addressing it specifically. Thus reducing the use of medications for disorders that can be sorted out with therapy. This saves many people a lot of time, money and heartache.

Best wishes, PM me if you have ?s, I know anxiety very well, I've embraced it as a part of my life and learned to work with it, however I am left with a horrid addiction to benzos. I can help advise on proper use and tapering, but tapering should not be needed. I have a lot of knowledge of these issues, both the clinical and pharmacological properties of benzos.

I'm a former pharmaceutical chemist with treatment resistant GAD/ PD and agoraphobia. I don't get out much so I'm here a lot. Mostly not logged in but I am reading most days.

Bet wishes, I'm a kind person, sorry if I came off as harsh here, but my warnings are not useless. I promise you that.

As somaniferum wrote:

"I hope that by going down by 1mg diazepam every month or so I will be able to stop them eventually. i do not want to develop premature dementia and have all side effects I am having now. Benzodiazepines are really useful drugs that one should avoid at all costs. But if there is a real indication then they can help for few weeks until some other medication and/or method kicks in. I urge everybody who is contemplating starting benzodiazepines to be very aware of the whole package they are getting."

Agreed 100%.

OP - have you seen a doc? What have they suggested - if you don't mind sharing? I like to keep tabs on how psychs are operating and what they're pushing next... seems usually a reuptake inhibitor. In the US this is due to heavy pressure and rewards, incentives from pharmceutical companies to prescribe the newest drug to be approved, and the free samples. I'm also interested in your situation as I've been in your position.

Felt bit weird on Xanax could of been the cut 30mg valium is nice even twenty is I'm on 15mg a day supposedly the max dose doctors want to give. My practice wants nobody on then unless they rly need them urgent psych note or not.
I take ten mg at most and TR hat does help anxiety and restlessness I prefer pregabalin to both of these though.
Xanax u feel more of a high but it lasts like four hours more for pa JC attacksmg
I'd get klonooin if u can lol

Felt bit weird on Xanax could of been the cut 30mg valium is nice even twenty is I'm on 15mg a day supposedly the max dose doctors want to give. My practice wants nobody on then unless they rly need them urgent psych note or not.
I take ten mg at most and TR hat does help anxiety and restlessness I prefer pregabalin to both of these though.
Xanax u feel more of a high but it lasts like four hours more for pa JC attacksmg
They dont have Xanax in the uk I believe most of Europe actually, some people get get it but it's really rare to get it Rx and the presses they have in the uk are so ugly they crumble they don't even stick together and if they do there fake skinny ones that say Xanax an half the 2 which look weird but I've seen the these bars and shape in Canada to but the look weird.
but there's an interview of a uk Xanax dealer and he fund most of the darknt Xanax trade there but he's pressing them with the shit skinny Xanax and the 2 on The back.

So you probably never done really Xanax

If I were I would stick to rc benzos u guys have legal ones like Etizolam it's legal in Canada u guys got Clonazolam but the shit is potent 0.5mg = 2.5mg in one dose of 2.5mg = Xanax/clonzapam that's a very strong dose in our country or get a legit Valium. klonpin (clonzapam) feels exactly like Xanax and it's the same strength Xanax I just like Xanax because it just has a strong punch cus it kicks in fast and peaks faster

Last edited:
As somaniferum wrote:

"I hope that by going down by 1mg diazepam every month or so I will be able to stop them eventually. i do not want to develop premature dementia and have all side effects I am having now. Benzodiazepines are really useful drugs that one should avoid at all costs. But if there is a real indication then they can help for few weeks until some other medication and/or method kicks in. I urge everybody who is contemplating starting benzodiazepines to be very aware of the whole package they are getting."

Agreed 100%.

OP - have you seen a doc? What have they suggested - if you don't mind sharing? I like to keep tabs on how psychs are operating and what they're pushing next... seems usually a reuptake inhibitor. In the US this is due to heavy pressure and rewards, incentives from pharmceutical companies to prescribe the newest drug to be approved, and the free samples. I'm also interested in your situation as I've been in your position.
My psychologist told me he could just keep me on them cause I've been on them for so long that 4 months I realized there for short turn and I wasn't happy and I stop take alprazolam ask Xanax and boom had a seziure

but all the this I would have to be tapered off I'm taping off , too eventually they are gonna prescibed drugs that 2 have seziure withdrawal effect too same as benzos just to get me off off one medication , when all the sezisures where benzo induced report medically , I read up eventually I would have to take 3 drugs for this issues one for sleep which withdrawal in insomnia and the 2 other ones one was for anti anxiety and craveings and it had seizure withdrawal effects and the seziure med used for epilepsy has the same withdrawal effect.

And that was relapses conclusion they "taper" me in lees then a week days first day gave me about 25 10mg throughout the next day Valium next day 12 next day 6 and day after that 6 10mg and then got 1 last 10mg and after that one 5mg Valium an then 2mg one I was in this place for 10 days Valium lasts 200hr right when.

I leave rehab day 3 out had a sezisure guess what from benzos.

Last edited:

Let's say you want to sleep fast, or tilt a panic attack Alprazolam.

If you are looking for 48 hour's of sedation with added muscle relaxation Diazepam. From the two the Valium is warmer, if that makes any sense bigballsack53.

Valium buzz only lasts 5-8 hrs peaking in 2 hours it's just used cause it stays in your body longer so you dont go into benzo withdrawal, but they do have after effects and grogginess while waking up.

but it has the best muscle relaxant properties of all benzos, 2nd be a crazy benzo Etizolam and then alprazolam(Xanax) or clonzapam(klonpin). We can all agree Ativan is shit but when your in withdrawal you'll take any benzo tho so it's not that shit lol.

I always buy Etizolam cause it's legal and it works for withdrawal but I just save it up its not super sedative it has some decent muscle relaxant its cheap and I buy it as a liquid so you just sublingual it with liquid dropper cause it with liquid each drop of liquid could be 0.5mg1mg/2mg/4mg strengths come in 40-120ml bottles and the liquid dropper is one dose of the strengths of the Etizolam in the dropper so say the "liquid benzo"and it kicks in fasts, but it's takes allot to get in the black out state actually but it's relieves anxiety just as good and fast as Xanax.

Xanax just has more of stronger kick in then Etizolam, Etizolam feels like Valium and Xanax in one drug only thing missing is the super sedation.
It feels like Xanax cause the fast relieve in anxiety and feeling confident in a head clear way really fast with it kicking it In and it has the slap like Xanax not as strong but it has the calmness Of Valium with muscle relaxation with feels good.

But Etizolam is half the strength of Xanax and klonpin so 1mg of Etizolam is equal to =0.5mg of clonzapam and alprazolam

They stop benzo withdrawals right in there stops I have used it and makes your 100% again norm from almost having a seziure having panic attack. 10 minutes it kicked in my, heart right feel right my breathing everything felt was better within 10minutes could fall asleep cus u can't sleep on benzo withdrawal , the fucked thing is ur so fucking tired. But your scared ur gonna die in ur sleeps and you can't sleep anyways you'll be up for days sleep deprived, if you nothing an going through severe withdrawal drink some liquor it uses same prat of ur brain but it will make feel bit better.

Depends where you buy from it will typically online if check if it's legal your state or country it's legal in most and there a bunch of other Rd benzos out there

But be careful and never do huge doses of downers mostly with alcohol and benzos and opiates. alone opiates and benzos and keeps Naloxone kits with you always

Last edited: