• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Using Rice (Thats Right!) instead of Water in your Bong

diegoblunt

Bluelighter
About 3 years ago, my friends and I heard the following urban myth:

Chronic Pot Smoker (everyday for 30 years) goes into the Doctor's with respiratory problems. The Doctor says that his problem is caused by water-vapour as much as carcinogens etc. and that he must stop smoking bongs. The smoker tells the Doctor that there is no way he can possibly do this so the Doctor reccomends 'Rice' (Basmati or Jasmin will be fine) instead of water in the bong.

So for about a month all we did was smoke through rice-filled bongs.

DIRECTIONS:
Make a normal bong (Plastic)...Do not use a purchased bong. Fill the bong with rice up to the regular water level. Ensure that the stem is sitting half submerged in the rice.

RESULTS:
- The smoke was much hotter than with water.
- Smoke seemed harsher and considerably unfiltered compared to water
- I will not attempt to make inference about the level of high. It appeared similar.
- The suction that occurs when pulling seems very different to that of water.
- Sometimes large bowls could be smoked effortlessly, but often the the 'chamber hit'(release of carb) from big bowls was very hot.
- Made no 'bubbling or gurgling' sounds while 'pulling a bong'. It made a soft sizzling/crackling suction sound. Great for discrete usage!!!
- The novelty value was high for about 3 weeks. Although one of my friends occasionly goes back to 'Riceys' for 'old times sake'.
- The rice that immediately surrounds the stem quickly became resin'd up
and dirty.
- Was extremely difficult to clean rice. We generally made a new 'rice bong' every few days (Dont try washing the rice out with water, its more effort than its worth).
- I cant really think of anything else in specific...it was just fun because it was a change.

DECISION RULE:
Stick with water.

Has anyone done this?
Anyone else got any input or comments?

=D ------------ %)

if you cant use water, why not just smoke without anything in the bottom? rice seems a bit odd. ive heard of people using rice to clean a bong but not smoke thru

interesting!reminds me of the ice bong/buckets we sometimes smoke when it's a stinker outside.

FRIZZANTIK POSTED: "if you cant use water, why not just smoke without anything in the bottom?"

well yeah as i said... it was just something to do for fun and to see how it went. Personally I wouldn't suggest a 'dry bong' though.

I'm assuming this isn't cooked rice? I guess I will give it a shot... I will feel a bit shorted without the water though, as I can't seem to get very high without some kind of water filter.

Using rice doesn't make any sense.

If someone has trouble with the smoke, one possible solution would be to make butane honey oil (BHO) and smoke the oil vapor. It seems to me like that would eliminate most of the irritants.

Or, use a vaporizer with regular weed. (Search this forum for "vaporizer".)

IMO, that doctor either didn't know shit, or he was just trying to make the guy stop smoking out of bongs, period. From both my limited knowledge of respiratory physiology and my experience, I think that hot, dry smoke probably hurts your lungs more than cooler, damper smoke

^^^maybe i should underlined 'Urban Myth'.

I also agree that less filtered (rice is much less effective than water) and hotter smoke is worse for your lungs.

i guess i could see the rice acting like a filter since as you said the rice near the tube was more coated... but i could see a lot of thc going away and it not cooling down. it'd be interesting to see a scientific study of different materials and liquids

The only reason I can think that rice would be used is....

It would make the smoke travel through channels in the rice and cool down, therefor smoother. Instead of taking a big hit of hot smoke. Remember, water not only filters the smoke, but cools it down. Maybe i'm right, maybe i'm wrong. Either way, using rice sounds fucking stupid.

So you now have a rice-bong. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me but what ever the doctor orders should be takin into consideration. Be careful not to inhale a piece of rice on intake!

The purpose of the water bong is for cooling the smoke so you can take that bigger hit. Putting ice in the chamber is a super way to pull a thick cloudy hit. It's been over 10 years since I pulled my first hit, any kind of hit like that is something in the past. With age comes the better choice to smoke daily joints.

thanks for everyones input thus far ;)
I will reiterate however that I DO NOT consider this to be a superior method to smoking with water/ice. Merely a silly alternative to attempt while baked.

WTF? :D =D

*me falls out of chair laughing insanely hard*

rice... nice !!

well im gonna go make some jelly and hmm some spagehetti get bk to you on them.

I'm trying to figure why a doctor would recomend rice as an alternative. Why would he recomend anything. Wouldn't a normal doctor say just quit smoking.

Ummm... the water is my favorite part about the bong. It's makes the smoke nice and cool. The rice just seems stupid.