Using psychedelics to treat communication disorders (stuttering etc) and ADHD.

robbli777

Bluelighter
Hi, just wondering if anyone has had success with a psychedelic or plant medicine to treat stuttering and associated speech difficulties? I endured some trauma in my childhood which contributed to my speech difficulties, I block on certain words and sounds, I may forget what to say mid sentence etc.

I also believe I have ADHD & Dissociation and awaiting an assessment by a psychiatrist, so wondering if anyone may have some knowledge and experience to help me understand more and to self-medicate with responsibility and caution.

Sorry to hear that. I had a guy work for me once .. one of the best employees I ever had but he stuttered like crazy. I remember having to defend him from the other management wankers who thought he was a waste of effort .. the difficulties he endured through his life had made him twice as persistent and a way above average problem solver .. and it wasn't like he couldn't interace with people. But how do you explain that to people who want to see pictures and words with a power point that make them feel like it's not their problem. You just don't. He was worth ten times the substantial substantial pain I endured doing his powerpoints (as I got more senior my life became powerpoints .. and I HATED it).

This guy used to get a big benefit from MDMA .. but I think it might just have been confidence as he could joke around with his friends almost stutter free (with or without MDMA) .. but locked up like crazy in tense situations. I saw him pick up girls on MDMA .. and he could never have done that normally.

I don't have other specific recommendations but I do strongly suggest you help others reply by giving some more exact details on what objectives you want to solve. Do you want it to be every day .. do you want to just give powerpoints .. do you just want some relief infrequently ... are you desperate to meet a partner or make friends? I say this as few drugs will work reliably with regular use and stronger drugs will do more harm the good unless they get used infrequently in targeted ways. MDMA is relatively safe for example ... but you can't use it daily as it rapidly stops working although that makes it safe as you almost certaintly won't go nuts with them. Amps on the other hand will work for days but are habit forming and easy to damage yourself with - they could well do a lot more harm than good with regular use.

Good luck .. horribly misunderstood curse you've got there. I sincerely hope you can learn to live with it - and believe me when I say it will get easier as you age .. provided you work on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and interesting insights about MDMA. I've never tried MDMA but have heard mostly positive things about it, how it can bring about immense feelings of love for oneself and others. I think the reason I stutter sometimes is partially because I've spent a lot of time in self-hatred, I doubt myself and automatically assume other people dislike me, my "Being" is flawed. Cultivating self-love of who I am is a struggle for me every day, so that has an impact on my stutter especially in work and social situations.

I believe I understand the reasons for my stutter, ADHD, depression, trauma etc.

1) Pre natal trauma - At 17, my biological mother tried to starve herself to hide being pregnant with me as she was so scared to tell her parents, she thought they would literally kill her. This may sound wishy-washy, even though as a developing fetus I was not conscious, my body, my self, my cells sensed her rejection towards me that altered my DNA, inducing the fight and flight response. I felt fear for the first time even before I was born. I only met her 3 years ago, she admitted to me she didn't want me at the time, I was a mistake.
2) Post natal trauma - I was taken away from my biological mother after 10 days, she said this was the worse day of her life, it left her traumatized in floods of tears. She wasn't allowed to breast feed me during the 10-day period after my birth, that bond between mother and child was already severed, so lacking her physical love and milk probably affected my physiological and neurological development.
3) I was eventually placed into an adoptive family, my adoptive mother had lost two children previously and couldn't conceive any more. She lacked emotional intelligence along with my adoptive father who had the emotional awareness of a statue. My elder adoptive sister used to physically and psychologically abuse me, whilst mocking my stutter amongst other things that just drained any belief in myself.
4) Rotten time at all my schools, just was too afraid to speak. I had suicide attempts at 14 and 17.
5) Struggled in most places of work, just too hyper vigilant with a misconception that people by default are going to judge me negatively (I know it's me judging others negatively beforehand).

There's a hellalot more I could write but won't go into. I've had psychotherapy, CBT, hypnotherapy etc which have helped me to understand more about myself with clarity but this pain, self-hatred is deeply entrenched, like a hot blade coated in salt thrusted into my gut, I keep on twisted and turning this blade ruminating about bad past experiences and if I have a bad experience in the present, I add salt onto the wound.

I understand cultivating acceptance that some days my stutter will be bad and being open about it will help. Unfortunately for me there's a complexity of hidden traumas to resolve under the iceberg metaphorically speaking.

Stuttering-Iceberg-680x999.jpg

Last edited:
I want to try to raise my level of consciousness and keep the momentum going. No doubt, shame is probably the core reason why I stutter...

consciousness-scale-vibration.png

Hi, just wondering if anyone has had success with a psychedelic or plant medicine to treat stuttering and associated speech difficulties? I endured some trauma in my childhood which contributed to my speech difficulties, I block on certain words and sounds, I may forget what to say mid sentence etc.

I also believe I have ADHD & Dissociation and awaiting an assessment by a psychiatrist, so wondering if anyone may have some knowledge and experience to help me understand more and to self-medicate with responsibility and caution.
I have always stuttered and afaik it's not related to trauma for me. I have tripped lots of times and have taken a range of other drugs and nothing has particularly had a positive effect. On pretty much all drugs except gabaergics talking will be harder.
Taking vitamine B1 supplements has some positive effect though but it's hard to say how much since how much I stutter depends on quite some other factors too (sleep, stress etc).

When I was young I went to therapy where I learnt to accept that it was part of me and not be ashamed or scared. I believe that making this switch is very important for stutterers, and this might be where psychedelics or MDMA come in.

You HAVE to hear Paul Stamets' story about mushrooms and stuttering, I'll link it when I get home.

OK, here it is. I would encourage you to watch this clip and then use youtube to watch some more of Paul Stamets' stuff to get a better understanding of the possibilities that are out there for psilocybin

Think of your brain as a big hill covered in snow and now imagine the electrical impulses that constitute your thoughts and cognitive processes are people riding sleds down the hill. At first it's easy for a sled to go anywhere down the hill, they will choose pathways that are fairly random. These pathways represent the neural pathways in your brain that the electrical impulses move along. However over time as those sleds leave tracks, the next sleds that follow will sometimes fall in to the tracks that have been left before them, thus carving them deeper again. Now because the track is deeper and more defined it becomes far more likely that another sled will fall in to those tracks next time it passes by, which will in turn wear it deeper, making it more likely for a subsequent sled to fall in to it......and so on and so on.

Eventually the sleds that are setting off from the top of the hill are almost certainly going to fall in to one of a limited number of these tracks and our mind is exactly the same. When we have worn our neural pathways deep it is extremely difficult for our thoughts (conscious or unconscious) to travel along any route except one of those deeply worn pathways, this is why the more we do something the easier it is to do and the harder to avoid it becomes. The belief is that psychedelics (but particularly tryptamine drugs and of those most particularly dmt and psilocybin) act in a way that fills in or 'unwears' those neural pathways that our thoughts are trapped in, they are the new snow that falls on the mountain to fill those tracks and allow the sledders to take a new route down the mountain.

I don't pretend to know a lot about this but I would encourage you to look very closely at it as a potential source of treatment for you. I hope that this has been of some help for you even though I don't have my own personal experience. I'm looking at either starting to microdose mushrooms or do a very big flood dose of them or perhaps even both to try and heal some of my own issues.

:):):)