Mental Health Using pregabalin, gabapentin as sleep aids?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Anyone have experience with this?

I've read it does happen but at relatively higher doses.

I only have limited experience with gabapentin. I've used it 3 times, high-igh doses all three times, and I slept very well afterwards. But I wasn't primarily looking to use it as a sleep-aid though.

No, I don’t see it happening. They just aren’t drowsy enough. Unless you're
taking stupid amounts and then you’re in black out territory. Worth it? Nope.

No, I don’t see it happening. They just aren’t drowsy enough. Unless you're
taking stupid amounts and then you’re in black out territory. Worth it? Nope.

Have you ever tried Seroquel (quetiapine)?

I understand that's real drowsy.

What you're saying is, the nature of gabapentine/pregabalin wouldn't really compare to that?

I understand that's real drowsy.

What you're saying is, the nature of gabapentine/pregabalin wouldn't really compare to that?
I’m saying the nature of gabapentin/pregabalin isn’t to be something that will induce sleep.

I haven’t taken Seroquel.

Honestly, I had horrible sleep for years, I spent a lot of time practicing good sleep hygiene and 3 weeks taking melatonin a few hours before bed. (No blue light etc etc). I have a great sleep schedule now usually and although there are nights I go to bed late it’s of my own volition. I have no problem falling asleep. A few little conditioned triggers like lavender on pillow and a sleepy playlist I listen to on my phone and I’m asleep in no time.

It wouldn’t compare and your tolerance to these two meds rises really quickly.
I’m a long time insomniac, and I wouldn’t pick either for sleep.
But if you forced me to pick one of the two, I would pick pregabalin.

Pregabalin used on occasion for me is an excellent insomnia medication. The only downside is it only works for me a couple days and then the effects crap out. I think if you only had to use it once or twice a week though it would work great.

To a lesser extent this is also true of gabapentin

I have to agree with the others, in that, when used very sporadically gabapentin completely zonks me out for a good 8 hours and I sleep so deeply that I snore SO loudly that my partner has to sleep on the couch :oops:

Agreed with others. If you are not sleeping now, wait till pregabalin stops working for sleep induction and you decide to go off it. In my experience, even 2 weeks of daily pregabalin use (therapeutic dose range) induces rebound insomnia after cessation.

Quetiapine will knock you out. But do you really want to use an antipsychotic medication for sleep induction/maintenance? I was "offered" a bunch of older gen antipsychotics for sleep (from a psychiatrist, as insomnia has been my issue since I can remember) with quetiapine being the only 2nd generation one that was suggested but never used any for that purpose. I just don't like the concept of such a strong neuroleptic being used daily for sleep. I know that for sleep doses are much lower (25-50mg) and quetiapine doesn't act as a "true antipsychotic" in that dosage range but I would still hesitate and try every other viable option before taking that step. If I was on some stimulant and it is 2nd night with no sleep, then I would consider quetiapine. But for daily use? Way over the top in my humble estimation.

Using pregabalin, gabapentin as sleep aids?​

TL/DR
Pregabalin basically saved my life.---AS A SLEEP AID
I take 1200mg each night. My dose has never needed to be increased over this time. It worked the first night and it continues to allow me at least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night. (often 8 hours)
never felt any withdrawals upon cessation

I was molested as a boy, suffered a three year fugue,and from the age of 9 to 45, I was never able to sleep for more than 1-3 hours without being forced awake in a panicked flashback. I would need to have several day naps just to be able to function
I have never been a drinker but in college I would only have blackouts but not sleep from spring break silliness.

Tried with no benefit (or greater risk than benefit)
sleep clinics,anxiety clinics, benzos, z drugs, butabarbital (this rocks but is too fun for me to have around), and bushels of gabapentin. (Not in combination for clarity), meditation, sleep hygiene groups

At 35 , i finally felt i did not need to keep this shame inside and found a good psychiatrist/
EVERY SINGLE AVAILABLE pharmaceutical option was tried.
  • Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
  • Norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs)
  • Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
  • Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
  • Serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitors (SARIs)
  • Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) and tetracyclic antidepressants (TeCAs)
  • Seroquel,Trazadone, halperidol
  • many had paradoxical agitation side effects for me
AND every anti-psychotic on the market was tried to no avail.
Finally. diagnosed with 'treatment resistant" depression and ptsd which is medical speak for we do not have any idea how to help you.

Anyway,I ended up working with a Neuropharmacologist. \ took ten tears though
thank you lord

I didn't even know this was as a job.
I think after undergrad and med school and internship, residency, a post doctoral fellowship then ,you
just need time throw a phd on top in your free time. seems like anyone could do it.

Pregabalin> Not a panacea, with much greater abuse potential than advertised by Pfizer but when not abused recreationally can be a phenomenal sleep aid/

ymmv, happy to elaborate if anyone has questions
I have read about devastating withdrawals and believe the stories but I take a two week break every year to re-assess it and to date have never had any withdrawal issues. flashbacks return immediately upon cessation however

I have an rx of 1200mg pregabalin/night and have been on this dose since 2013.
I have spent more time down pubmed rabbitholes reading studies on pregabalin than is probably healthy.

The only time it stopped working was when I was an ass, having read about all this euphoria people find at 600mg and tried a few daytime 3000mg experiments.
Yes,sir.
I had been sleeping through the reason this product has so much abuse potential
I tried this twice and never again as even though it made me feel good and high it wrecked my sleep pattern until my tolerance rebounded.
For me, not worth messing around with something that actually helps me.
So. I love pregabalin. for sleep
By getting quality rest ,I begin to work on my myriad other issues.

I know a lot about how this medication affects me.

If anyone has recent data on how pregabalin affects the different stages and quality of sleep (research post 2018
Id love a pm.....
Pregabalin has simply removed ALL dream recall and that's probably not ideal. Sure beats the alternative for me .ymmv
I have tons of literature to share no trade required lol
best to all
be safe and stay curious

^^ 1200 mg???

Clearly you use it for additional highly valid reasons.

But if one were to use it for insomnia exclusively, is that what would be called a "stupidly high dose"?

You are absolutely correct. I think 600mg is the maximum 'recommended' daily prescribed dose although Doctors have some latitude as per patient needs .
This is definitely not first line treatment for insomnia.
My only point is ask your doctor about it.
if you are finding yourself googling propofol
at 5 am
works for my shit as
always
ymmv
oh 10 years on it.

1200mg pregabalin will be more stimulating than sedating. It's definitely not a sleeping aid even when it can and does make you sleepy in low doses but the higher ones are pro-glutamatergic/slightly dissociative and will keep one awake..