Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

using potatoes and protein to boost serotonin levels

fuziwuzi

Bluelighter
g'day, this my first post.

i did the chem thing back in 1995/6 and I am glad I quit when i did with all the mood issues i have had since.

i have resorted to many natural therapies to assist with my moods and i would like to share this one with you.

with 5HTP being hard to access and expensive i thought this might be an option for some of you willing to give it a shot. i have tried it several times over the last few months and find myself waking and feeling more calm and centred and feeling less confussable.

these are the linkies
http://www.radiantrecovery.com/4r.html (the process of how to use the potatoes
http://www.radiantrecovery.com/potato_qna.html (an FAQ on how on it works, etc.)
http://www.radiantrecovery.com/index.html (the homepage of the ladies theory on using portein, vitamins, and carbs to balance moods.

Below i have posted the text from the first webpage (the 2nd page will not copy and paste properly due to the question numbering (somehow the Q numbers won't copying))

The fourth step is for you to get basic vitamins for detox and recovery and have a potato before going to bed.

Taking Vitamins

Eating food as your solution to sugar sensitivity demands that you think about what food you will eat, when, how and with whom. Eating food moves you into the relational aspects of your recovery. But as you get started, we have some repair work to do. We are going to add the three vitamins that I use in my clinic for alcoholism treatment. Each of them helps to repair the systems associated with sugar sensitivity. They are:

Vitamin C B-Complex vitamins Zinc

See Page 88 in The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program for more discussion of vitamins.

But remember that people with addictive bodies (make that sugar sensitive bodies) love to "take something", be it pills, white powder or special mixtures from a can. "Taking something" becomes the solution rather than creating a lifestyle with a healthy relationship to food. I do not want to reinforce this mode of thinking. I want you to eat food! Taking vitamins is a bridge to good health.

Eating a Potato

Okay, let's assume you are now eating breakfast with protein every day. Let's add Mr. Spud to your routine. Have a potato (with its skin) every night just before bed. This may sound simple, but it will help your body raise your serotonin level and make you feel more confident, competent, creative and optimistic. Big results from a single nightly spud, huh?

You can eat your potato baked, mashed, roasted, cut into oven fries or grated into hash browns. Just be sure you eat the skin. And you can top it with anything you like except foods that contain a protein. (Protein eaten along with the potato at bedtime will interfere with your serotonin-making process.) Good toppings are butter, margarine, salsa, mustard, spices, olive oil or flaxseed oil. Toppings you should NOT use are cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, or cream of chicken soup.

Your nightly spud does not have to be a big potato. It can be a russet, a Russian fingerling or a little red potato. Experiment. I use a medium Yukon gold with its skin on. If you find that you are having wild dreams on the nights you have your potato, this is a clue that you have low serotonin. This means you are getting a bigger hit of serotonin than you want right yet. The bigger hit means your levels are very low. You need the serotonin, but it is better to go more slowly. Ease into it and let your brain catch up. Have a smaller potato, or eat just a half or even a third of it. Your body is talking to you. Listen.

What is the potato doing for my neurochemistry?

The potato is simply creating an insulin response, which has an effect on the movement of the amino acid tryptophan from your blood into your brain. Why do we care about that? Because your body uses tryptophan to make serotonin. Serotonin is the brain chemical that makes you feel mellow and happy. It also helps you to "just say no" to sweets and other things by putting the brakes on your impulsivity.

Cheers everyone.

fuz

EDIT: http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=103 This site has a list of foods that have high levels of tryptophan that you might like to consider eating if you were to try this method of serotonin enhancement.

Because i am no longer a user, i cannot/will not comment on the this practice in relation to "getting a better a roll". i provide this info as a method of harm minimisation, and as a method to, at least, nuture the body when comsuming drugs.

Last edited:
Its all well and good to eat lots of tryptophan but it doesn't really work for a regular MDMA user. There has been studys done (that I'm sure Velocide can provide a link to ;)) that show MDMA inhibits the enzyme that converts tryptophan to 5-HTP for up to a week or so after taking it. So really the only way to boost your serotonin shortly (a week) after MDMA is to take 5-HTP :\

^^^
really! that sucks!

seeing i am clean, i expereinced the benefits of trailing it.

i thought it would be a good natural/cheap way to get the benefits of 5htp/mood calming.

thanks for pointing that out.

so is this why i crave chips? because they make me feel good by helping my body produce seratonin? damn you red rooster! :)

I dispute any claims - based on irreversible inhibition of tryptophan hydroxylase by MDMA - that tryptophan doesn't replenish 5HT or isn't a good pre/ post load to MDMA. I used this method for years while regularly doing MDMA, and several of my friends would happily testify that tryptophan has lessened the comedown. If you look at work done by Mendelson you'll find he confirms from his research that either 5HTP or tryptophan given prior to MDMA will lessen the damage done to 5HT axon terminals. (Check out The Ecstasy Conference 2001)

However, in regards to the statements made about potatoes on the links above, I would really like to see some scientific evidence of the claims. The wording on the site, while intended for the lay person, seems to be very scant in detail and there are no references provided. A search of my Uni databases failed to tun up anything.

the info is extracted from her book. here is bibiolgraphy of the books used for her work http://www.radiantrecovery.com/bibliography.html

P_D your concerns are valid. due to the lack of expense required, i tried it, and yes i do feel different the next day. is it palcebom i can't say. everyone likes to think they are immune to expectation but it's unlikely. so i assume you would have to track down the books for evidence.

But in my own expereince and results it seemed valid, resulting in my desire to post it.