• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Using heroin spiritually

Rio Fantastic

Bluelighter
Hello,

Spirituality and drug use is a topic that has been explored in depth innumerable times and the connection between drugs and religion transverses time, place, culture & people and goes back to at least the dawn of civilization and continues right up the present day. However, it seems that especially in the modern age, the remit of spirituality in connection to drug use has been extremely narrowed to a small handful of substances, practically all of them psychedelics. LSD, psilocybin, DMT (especially in the form of ayahuasca), ibogaine and cannabis to a degree in certain subcultures - these drugs seem to have a monopoly in the eyes of the public as being the substances that lend themselves to spirituality, and so whenever one hears talk about drugs that can lead to spiritual growth its exclusively centered around these drugs. I am not trying to deny the fact that these substances can be fantastic tools for spiritual development - there is a reason that they are the ones that people discuss when exploring spirituality and drugs, it is not coincidence. That being said, I firmly believe that spirituality through altered states of consciousness is definitely not the sole remit of these psychedelics.

One piece of evidence that would suggest that our modern conception of this topic is highly limited can be gained by looking at what drugs have been used in a spiritual way in the past. One drug in particular that these days is associated with being practically the antithesis of spiritual development, a drug that is seen as the epitome of addiction, ill health, compulsiveness & death, one that people have called "dirty", "evil" and "nasty", was once used in an entirely different way in a set ceremony in order to spur on spiritual growth, and was indeed seen as an essential rite of passage. That drug was tobacco. The native americans used a certain form of tobacco with an extremely high nicotine content and smoked it in enormous pipes, delivering a gigantic lungful of it, and this was said to cause an experience akin to a trip, where the user would enter into another realm and gain a birds eye view of their own life and come out the other side a better person. It was a rite of passage for those on the cusp of adulthood and was seen as a sacred rite with its use codified by ritual, treated as sacred, with strict rules governing its usage as part of this specific ceremony. Imagine - today, one couldn't think of a further substance from the spiritual ahayuasca ceremony than cigarette smokers, yet tobacco was once used in an almost identical way to the revered ahayuasca.

Bearing this in mind, perhaps you won't think my suggestion so wild when I say that heroin can be used in a spiritual way. When i inject a large dose of heroin, never before have I felt so closer to God. Not the modern Christian conception of God, but just a powerful feeling of love & contenment and transcendent bliss that I would compare to a powerful religious experience. All my worries & fear & anger & hate and my various sinful thoughts are transformed to one of pure inward love. I love myself and I love my life and I am filled with the presence of what I can only describe as God. I am an agnostic man and a man of science, and part of me knows that what I am experiencing is merely an unnatural flood of endorphins with some downstream dopamine receptor activation to create a powerfully rewarding experience. Cognitively I can understand that, but when I am wrapped in what feels like God's love from an injection of heroin, all I can think of is that i am being touched by God.

So why then is heroin associated with the total antithesis of spirituality? Why is it seen as a life-destroying, addictive, evil drug that will steal your soul, not enrich it? This is not just a matter of perception, either - heroin can will and does destroy and even take lives, every single day. I believe the answer to this is the same answer as why once tobacco was a spiritual experience used to take a glimpse into the divine, but now we have turned it into something toxic, addictive & destructive. I believe that we need new cultural norms to govern our drug use, to embed it in ceremony and community with strict rules dictating its use. Heroin shouldn't a drug taken in solidarity, allowing your soul to blacken whilst you enslave yourself to the substance, isolate yourself from your family & community and let the drug turn you from a man to a beast, in the same way that tobacco shouldn't be indulged in on an hourly basis for barely more than a tickle of your reward receptors whilst your lungs rot and you continue to ingest literal poison until it kills you from the inside out. We should take a leaf out the Native Americans book - heroin should be an event that takes place as part of a community, at a pre-decided age with experienced modern shaman-like figures guiding the journey of the young user. Embedded in this kind of tight knit community and placing the context of the drug's use in an entirely radically new cultural matrix, I firmly believe that we can isolate the experience of a heroin high from the addiction that so often plagues its users in modern society. We can use heroin on very special occasions with the blessing of our community, in a special shared ceremony, and use it to get that touch of God that can be of such glorious benefit provided we have that community around us to separate the drug's positive effects on our spiritual development from the consequences that so often follow in the context of its current use.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. I would really appreciate any and all comments, questions or thoughts or even constructive criticisms.

I've only heard of one user I met talk about using heroin spiritually for a phase of their addiction career. I would advise against it.

In my experience, it's one of the last substances that is beneficial for such a purpose.

sounds like someone is still in denial about why they use heroin. The shit we as addicts tell ourselves to justify our drug use never ceases to amaze me...and the fact that we believe ourselves while knowing deep down its a lie is interesting.

Now I’m one to believe that most every substance has a time or place, while cocaine and meth are highly addictive I feel if used VERY rarely (1-2 times a year at most) they can bring more benefit than harm to a persons life.

Heroin is probably the only drug I can think of that doesn’t seem possible to ever use responsibly. No amount of social accountability or cultural norms will change the addictive and destructive nature it has.

Yes you feel close to god but in reality your hurting yourself and those around you, it’s a false sense that lures you deep until your looking up and can no longer see the light.

Traditional psychedelics often make the user focus on better themselves. It’s great to feel close to god but if no effort is made after the fact then it’s pointless and distracting. Heroin numbs you from the world, while psychedelics make you want to change it.

-GC

i can see a "spiritual" use for heroin, if you are in extreme chronic pain and of course can't get a script due to this bullshit crackdown...and those hours high on heroin are the only reason you have to live and are not killing yourself.

thats about the closest rationalization i can make to a spiritual use for it, but its more like raising you from a coffin to a gutter, rather than raising you from normal to some higher spiritual state.

In my experience, it's one of the last substances that is beneficial for such a purpose.

Agree 100%. Heroin is about as nonspiritual as a substance as one could possibly consume. In my experience, the consumption of heroin is the equivalent of the death of any connection to spirituality. The overwhelming painkilling or numbing effect is not just felt physically, but also mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Heroin essentially would destroy any connection I had to any sort of entity, God, higher power, or energy surrounding me.

I think that it's one of the effects many people go after, disconnection from emotions and spirituality. The thing that drives me insane is that when people stop using H, many become such fanatical believers who use the word "God" in pretty much every sentence which they form. It seems like just like the physical and emotional pain, spirituality comes back with a vengeance for many ex-addicts. Annoying as hell.

I guess it depends on the purity of the smack . . . Diamorphine, morphine, oxycodone, nicomorphine, hydromorphone and especially hydrocodone have always made me love everybody, and morphine is God's Own Medicine, so I suppose a stronger prodrug of it can be used as a means of worship, rather than a spiritual agent like DMT for instance. Midway betwixt that, when I was on Durogesic, the same thing a Duragesic, prescribed by a doctor, the warm, fuzzy feeling was not there but I did hallucinate in all five senses and could hallucinate music, see animals and people. There are syncretic organisations of religious, philosophical, and spiritual leanings who use codeine, dihydrocodeine, and hydrocodenine, and oxycodone their weekly and special services.

This is just another excuse to use H lol but I give you props for giving it such a twist in case the other ones don't work, this will do the job

I wouldn’t call it spiritual, but I did fall in love with my ham sandwich while I was on heroin.

I ask myself the same question about how demonised the drug is when quite obviously at least to me it’s meth that causes the most issues for people.

People say to me all the time, oh I’ve tried everything but I’d never touch heroin.
Like they think that somehow makes them a better person?

I am personally afraid to try hallucinogens.
The ones most commonly known to induce spiritual experiences.
I know my brain, I’m too paranoid. I wouldn’t come back from a decent trip.

Of all the addicts I’ve met, the WORST, most UNTRUSTWORTHY and unpredictable ones are always meth heads.
The heroin addicts I know have kept me alive when I was too stupid/naive to be able to manage it myself.

Heroin is way too demonised.
That said, I can do meth occasionally and it doesnt become a problem for me.
I know I couldn’t do the same same H.
I like it too much.

Heroin turns you off. Plain and simple.

You cant just use the initial feeling of being high as the total effect. Over time the desire to use heroin will outweigh anything you ever thought mattered to you.

Once physical dependance set in, the world and everthing in it will turn gray and nothing will appear of any value other than more dope.

You wont want friends, family, sex, love, hobbies, whatever. Because anything that puts a stain on your relationship to heroin will have to go.

If you actually believe that you can successfully use heroin as a spiritual tool, I feel sorry for you. You are in for a rough ride and all for what?

If you must take drugs for spiritual purposes there are plenty of psychedelic experiences to pull from.