• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Using Hard Drugs Without Addiction?

I think the mental aspect of hard drug addiction is over look. I never got dopesick, but H definitely had her claws wrapped tightly around my mind. If it hadn't been for a traumatic event happening at a critical moment, I could be a junky fo' real right now.

It makes me wonder if some people would just rather live in denial so that they can believe heroin is safe?

I don't need to live in denial to believe that heroin is safe; used responsibly, heroin is safe and that's simply what it is whether you'd like to believe it or not.

Heroin's not neurotoxic. It's not hepatotoxic. So, I'm not entirely sure what permanent effects on the body and brain you are referring to...

It's true that the risk for physical dependency/mental addiction is high, but in the scheme of things, it's relative to both nicotine and alcohol. (I've posted the research articles here numerous times.) In fact, the risk for physical dependency/mental addiction is higher with nicotine than it is with heroin.

It's true that many users will experience collapsed veins, hepatitis c, and all of those other very scary things that have absolutely nothing to do with the substance itself, heroin, but with the ROA... IV use, and improper IV use at that.

It's true that heroin slows the digestive system, causes constipation, lowers one's libido, but these are things that return to normal once a user quits taking heroin; they're not long-lasting, permanent effects. If you'd like to argue that these are long-lasting, permanent effects, then I'd like to know by what mechanism of action, exactly, I'll still be experiencing constipation weeks after quitting dope. I want to know how that works exactly, and maybe you can tell me, but I'm not sure you can because, well, it's simply not true that these things are permanent. It's not.

I'm not an advocate for any drug, really, but the truth is that heroin is not very detrimental to one's health at all, at least not when it's taken responsibly or somewhat responsibly.

Did anyone actually properly read my post?!? I included all sorts of things that were directly caused by using heroin, including permanent damage. The indirect (and often preventable) risks I mentioned at the beginning (which ms4104 quoted) were prefaced by "So, presumably we all already know the many health risks from things that often surround heroin use", and were mentioned to clarify that those things were not what I was referring to.

Some of the health conditions I listed were caused by how heroin effects the body, like slowing the digestive system, but they're still caused by heroin. The person wouldn't have them if they never used opiates. And I did mention that some of the conditions are caused by long-term use, it's not like all of them are going to be had by anyone who uses heroin once. That doesn't mean heroin does not have adverse, often permanent effects on the body and brain. It does.

It is untrue that all of those things just exist while you are actively using.

It makes me wonder if some people would just rather live in denial so that they can believe heroin is safe?

I read your whole post. You had originally said that heroin causes long-term health problems, which to me means, it causes permanent damage that exists even after stopping use of the drug. You merely listed side effects.

I don't think that anybody is denying that there are risks involved with heroin use, but if someone were to take a controlled dose of heroin (pill form or medical grade ampules) each day, they would live a relatively normal life aside from having to shit a lot less.

I am not downplaying heroin use. Addiction is horrible, and ruins lives. I know plenty of people that have ended up homeless or dead from getting strung out on dope.

Edit: I didn't see verso post before mine, but I agree with his post.

Thx for this thread all. I just started dabbling with heroin and was wondering if it's possible to use H recreationally. This thread has persuaded me it's very risky and a bad road. Shit I think I might get my wife to drug test me randomly just so I know I can't get away with it. I recognised some scary thought patterns / rationalisation. I hope the OP is ok.