• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Using H while on suboxone, Will I go into precipitated withdrawal?

Revlovon

Greenlighter
If I were to take 10 mg of suboxone for heroin withdrawal in a 24 hour period, then next day only 6 mg of sub, and the day after that, slipped up and relapsed and used for a day and a half, when would it be safe to go back on my subs? I know it's possible I have to wait another 24 hrs after my last dose, however I also know bupe has a long half life and while I was using I only got high towards the end of the night after I did much more than my normal dose. First was at 6pm, last was before I went to bed around 1or 2am. I only snort it, so I know that's a factor too for how much I had to do. I did 3 lines total. The third line got me high. So I know the bupe was still in my system and I had to break through it with the full agonist. So what I'm wondering is, if it's still in my system the second day (the bupe), isn't it possible I can just not have any withdrawal if I didn't take another dose of H for about 12+ hrs and the sub starts to finally leave my system and I take more sub like normal? I can break the time of the doses down better if that helps somebody have a better answer. Any help is appreciated, not trying to randomly throw myself into pw.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone could give you a definite answer. Tho I do have experience in this area.

My advice would be to wait until you are in moderate withdrawal again. Unless you get to like 36 hours .. After that you should be in the clear.

If someone is on suboxone for like a week or more then takes a little holiday and gets high for a day or so they could go back to sub without withdrawal because they still have bupe in their system.

But yea there are ALOT of factors to consider so.. To be safe I would wait until moderate withdrawal. It should be pretty easy to wait.

Since I doubt you will wait 36 hours my realistic advice would be..

Try n wait at least 24 hours Then dose in small amounts. Start at like 1 mg or less. Then move up until you feel better and if you start to withdraw just stop.

If it's only been a day and a half since you last doses subs, you're fine. You can always dose sub if you have last dosed within 3 days. I wouldn't push if close to the end of that...unless you have been on maintenance a long time. (Cause then it would be built up in your system).

As long as there is sub in your system you won't go into precipitated wd. It's physically impossible.

Still--when you go back to sub start with 1 mg and make sure. Go up from there.

As long as you don't go on 3+ day binges you shouldn't ever worry about precipitated wd on sub maintenance

Edit--though the poster above me means well, this is one time waiting would NOT be to your benefit. Right now you still have sub in your system. 24+ hours from now would be pushing it...

If it's only been a day and a half since you last doses subs, you're fine. You can always dose sub if you have last dosed within 3 days. I wouldn't push if close to the end of that...unless you have been on maintenance a long time. (Cause then it would be built up in your system).

As long as there is sub in your system you won't go into precipitated wd. It's physically impossible.

Still--when you go back to sub start with 1 mg and make sure. Go up from there.

As long as you don't go on 3+ day binges you shouldn't ever worry about precipitated wd on sub maintenance

Edit--though the poster above me means well, this is one time waiting would NOT be to your benefit. Right now you still have sub in your system. 24+ hours from now would be pushing it...

Thanks, I guess that answers my question pretty well. The thing I was wondering the most was if the sub was still in your system at all prior to using and still is by the time of the next dose of sub, would you still be in the clear of pw. Which seems from what both you and Agoraphobiaphile have said is true from your perspective and confirms what I was expecting. That's good to know.
My problem now is that after that last dose before bed friday night /Saturday morning at around 1 or 2am, I had to work Saturday morning at 11 and didn't know for sure yet what to do and just used again for that day cause I had some left. Then I just did the last little bit I had this morning around 8am. So now I may have to wait, idk. It has still been under 3 days since my last dose of sub tho I think.
Let's see, my last dose of sub was at 10:30 am friday morning, and I did about 2.5 mg and had already taken 2mg 6 hrs prior to that. It's now Sunday morning and almost at 48 hrs of my last dose of sub. I used the dope for half of Friday, all of Saturday, and once this morning. From 6pm friday, till 8am sunday. So a total of 36 hrs I was only on a full agonist. I have things I need to get done later this evening and don't want to start feeling crappy cause it will be near 12 hrs of my last dose. I was thinking I should be good to take a sub around 5pm today? At least I'm hoping it's ok to, that would be ideal. Would still be less than 3 days of my last dose of sub. It's either I do that, or I wait 24 hrs and don't take the sub till tomorrow morning at 8am.
Which do you think sounds like the safer bet? If I do it later I'm waiting almost 12 hrs and taking it 2 and a half days after my last sub. If I wait the 24 hrs, I'll be at that 3 day mark, but I should have no dope in my system. Maybe I should just take some sub now. A couple hours after my last line of h. Mostly just kidding about that. But if it helps prevent any wd cause theirs a better chance there's still bupe in my system after 48 hrs it could be a better idea, lol.

Using opiates ON TOP of Suboxone will not send you into PW.

But if you take Suboxone ON TOP of other opiates, that will send you into PW.

Right, I get that. But I'm not on any kind of maintenance yet, in trying to but haven't. I've been trying to quit and have been on and off the last month or so. Recently I had a very bad withdrawal experience and ended up using. I went on a 4 day thing after that until I was able to get enough subs to properly quit with since my last 3 attempts have ended in me relapsing. After that 4 days I waited till I was withdrawaling and took some sub in increments every hour or so till I was decent. Was on the subs for two days and relapsed before 24 hrs had even passed since my last sub dose. Then used heroin for 36 hrs and have been trying to decide on when I should take more sub, since it seems so ify. So I don't have that maintenance build up, but did use it for a couple days. I'm trying on my next dose of sub to keep on a better schedule with it and not relapse. I just have work and can't afford to be super sick, even if only for 12 hours of trying to wait out a 24 plus hour time period in between the two. It's a bit of a sticky situation I'm in I guess. I've never been in this kind of debacle in all my years of opiate use. I usually just take a sub or two when I'm sick and can't get anything, then go back to using my opiate of choice again. I can't afford to go back right now and am trying to make a positive change in my life.

Crzydiamond, is that 3 day thing you mentioned more for people on sub maintenance? Because of the buildup of the bupe. I'm just wondering if it would be the same if I only took the sub for a couple days totaling about 13 maybe 14mg in that time frame? I know it had to be in my system still for at least 24 maybe even 48 hrs, the bupe has a long half life. I'm just a little past the 48 hr mark and running up my time wondering. It seems risky. I've been considering taking like 1mg some time within the next hour or two just to see how it affects me.

Last edited:
Ya, I just decided to try it anyways. I did about a mg of sub maybe a little less about 10-15 min ago. Haven't felt anything bad or good yet. It's been about 54 hrs since my last dose of sub and about 8 hrs since my last line of dope insulfated. It was a pretty tiny amount. Before that I didn't do anything since the night before. I'm gonna see how it goes. It's like an experiment at this point. Maybe what I experience will be helpful to somebody else one day.

Just wait until you feel in moderate withdrawal again. If the Subs were helping the 2 days you were on them, then you don't have a massive tolerance and hardly have to worry about precipitated withdrawal in the first place. Definitely won't be an issue if you already inducted on a dose of Subs (especially 16 mg split btwn 2 days), I doubt the dope you did even did much except give you a slight lift in mood.

The people who really get caught in the horror stories of Precip w/d have massive tolerances and need to wait like 48 hours for their tolerance to drop enough to even feel any relief from Subs. Talking about people booting 3+ grams of good H, or using high doses of fentanyl or methadone.

You won't go into pwd's using on top of subs but the CNS effects stack so you won't get as high except for your brief abstinence and it still might take more to get you high.

I used on tops of subs but subs didn't work out for me. I was just still in pain, not wd.

I got my opiate use to where if I was to run out I would just be in pain, not wd.

I was a straight up junky and if you want subs to work for you and they won't work forever regardless, you might not want to squander this oppurtuinity to get off shooting dope. You are an increased overdose risk and early in recovery.

But yeah you can use on top of subs, question answered. Now once those subs out your system a few days, not gonna say the exact number but I know mine, there is a certain amount of time you can jump back on while still using but you probably just gonna get sick again and get right back on subs.

As long as you don't take more than 2mg of sub (sublingual, or 0.5mg iv) every 2 hours within the first 24 hours of full agonist use you won't get precip wd.

confirmed; you can dose the pure agonist right after, but you need to be in at least mild wd from them to take a sub.

Revlovon you didn't write anything...stil waiting your answer and experiance.

Uh, now i've noticed this post was before 1 year...anyway, Revlovon if you can tell us your experience.

Finallyyyyyy I?ve been searching the threads knowing someone had this same question but it was hard to find. I?ve been on sub maintenance for 2+months, 8mg a day. I dosed 4mg Sunday morning and got high later in the afternoon that same day off H (less than .1g) proceeded to do a $20 bag until yesterday afternoon and now I feel stupid and guilty and really want to get back on my subs. Can I take them right away and avoid PW assuming I still have bupe in my system? Or do I have to wait until I?m in WD! Helpppp please.

I don't know 100% but if you don't have a habit and are just using heroin like 2 days a month on top of Suboxone then why would it give you any WD. The issue with Bupe is if you have been on Heroin and stop to move to Bupe you have to wait until you are in Withdrawal, otherwise say you take your last shot of Heroin then 1 hour later take 8mg of Bupe the Bupe is that strong that it kicks the Heroin straight out of your body and you get very sick fast. Not sure if its the Bupe or Naloxone that kicks it?

So using every now and then on top of Bupe is not going to throw into withdrawal as the Heroin is not strong enough to bind to the opiate receptor and they are all filled up with Bupe.

Thank you for writing back. Yes I thought the same thing as well just didn?t want to send myself into PW accidentally. Because I definitely got high, I just didn?t want to make any decisions without a little research lol. So it?s safe to say I?ll be okay if I take my subs then?