• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Using again after a habit?

Na'vi

Bluelighter
Earlier this year I got myself a little benzo habit, nothing too serious, just three or four months of low dosage use. I tapered my use over three weeks or so and got off relatively lightly from what I understand. I had mild withdrawals - rebound anxiety, nausea and dizziness, aches and pains, palpitations. Thankfully they began to subside after three weeks, and after six weeks or so were almost completely gone. I consider myself very lucky.

I've been wondering though recently, if I wanted to take benzos again in the future (to help sleep after stimulants, for example) would that be wise? Would or bring back WD's once they wear off? Or would it be ok if it's been long enough? I never intend to take them on the regular ever again, I was going through a very tough time and they helped for a bit but ultimately made it worse and that's not something I'll forget... They do have their uses though.

I think it depends on the person. Some people can't seem to use benzos at all after having a habit without having a set back while others like myself can still use them without issue. I took temazepam daily for a year and either temazepam or alprazolam a few times a week for a couple years prior to that. I got off daily benzos 2 years ago but still take them as needed, usually not more than twice a week.

I will say that for the first 3-6 months after coming off I barely touched them maybe just once a month because I was afraid of having a kindling effect.