• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Using Adderall While Tapering From Oxy?

theblurr54

Greenlighter
Have a decent oxy habit due to pain after surgery (200mg a day).

My plan is to cut down to 40mg. I'll use that to get me through half a day and than adderall to get through the other half. I'll do this for 6-7 days.

Is this a decent plan? I've neve take adderall before but it seems it could distract me from the discomfort I've been experiencing due to surgury (general malaise, the pain is mostly gone) and the discomfort from mild withdrawal.

I was also considering taking both together in appropriate doses or taking adderall first than using oxy during the comedown. I'm open to ideas.

I'm a relative newbie so I greatly appreciate some feedback and won't care if you call my idea stupid (as long as you tell me why :\).

It could go both ways. It could combat some of the fatigue and things of withdrawal, but at the same time it could cause huge problems with anxiety and restlessness that come with withdrawal.
Especially during the comedown, you will feel alot worse. And especially if you've never used Adderall or amps before, I would not suggest it.

Going from 200 to 40mg you will definitely withdraw. And 9 times out of ten, stimulants make it worse. Any hope you had of sleeping and relaxing during with drawal would go right out the window. Some people can tolerate stimulants while tapering/withdrawing opiates, but most find the benefit is far outweighed but the negatives.

I've tried this and found it to be extremely unpleasant, especially when the adderall wears off. The adderall really exacerbates all the horrible withdrawal symptoms - tons of restless energy, dysphoria, no appetite, nose running, guts rumbling... I would highly recommend against it. Not to mention when you are going through withdrawal you need to go easy on your body, and stimulants are quite hard on the body and mind.

When i was going through withdrawl from dope i used ice and it worked wonders. I was still sick but the amphetamine made me just not care at all. Everyone is different though. If you do it i suggest having something for anxiety on hand incase it gives you bad anxiety and also somethjng for sleep incase you end up not liking it at all. I say give it a shot, i found amphetamines very helpful but as mentioned above, not everyone does

I'd be careful using amphetamines after surgery. Because of high blood pressure. If you're slowly working your way off the oxy, you shouldn't need to take the adderall.

To help with withdrawal from the oxy. You should look at natural ways of easing the symptoms. Eating bandanas, drinking milk and keeping your mind steady by reading or something.

I used dextroamphetamine daily while withdrawing from my 90mg hydro/day habit. It actually helped a lot. I was surprised. Made it to where I could work mostly comfortably. Just make sure you have some kind of benzo to help you sleep at night or you have no chance of sleeping at all.

Make sure you stay hydrated and take proper supplements.

It could go both ways. It could combat some of the fatigue and things of withdrawal, but at the same time it could cause huge problems with anxiety and restlessness that come with withdrawal.
Especially during the comedown, you will feel alot worse. And especially if you've never used Adderall or amps before, I would not suggest it.

Going from 200 to 40mg you will definitely withdraw. And 9 times out of ten, stimulants make it worse. Any hope you had of sleeping and relaxing during with drawal would go right out the window. Some people can tolerate stimulants while tapering/withdrawing opiates, but most find the benefit is far outweighed but the negatives.

I've tried this and found it to be extremely unpleasant, especially when the adderall wears off. The adderall really exacerbates all the horrible withdrawal symptoms - tons of restless energy, dysphoria, no appetite, nose running, guts rumbling... I would highly recommend against it. Not to mention when you are going through withdrawal you need to go easy on your body, and stimulants are quite hard on the body and mind.

I'd be careful using amphetamines after surgery. Because of high blood pressure. If you're slowly working your way off the oxy, you shouldn't need to take the adderall.

To help with withdrawal from the oxy. You should look at natural ways of easing the symptoms. Eating bandanas, drinking milk and keeping your mind steady by reading or something.

Another factor is I'm malnourished and underweight. Based on this and everything you've said, I think it's a bad idea.

Instead, I'll do a slower taper.

Thank you for your answers.

Damn I'm one of those people that can't even drink coffee or it ruins my entire nod or during WD makes it 100 times worse . I always envied those who could quit opiates with stimulants I'm my world I just cannot understand how while sick and achy being all speedy just weird

How did it go so far?

Did you just taper off?

Or did you go through with it?

Please share the experience if you don't mind.

Yeah i completely understand this. I've heard people doing methamphetamines while detoxing from pills and heroin. I'd guess, it's just all upon the user.

When i was in my heroin days and opiate addiction. I'd never have bad sickness like everyone talks and crys about. What's the point of using if you're just going to cry all the time. Crying isn't going to help. Anyways, I'd have sweats and the feeling that my legs needed stretching.

Anyways, the crying part wasn't towards OP nor anyone on this forum. We have lots of people who cry where I'm from over being sick. You shouldn't use if you're not man enough to take what it brings.

IceDancer

I would really, really advise against using stimulants while going through any kind of withdrawal process. As seems to be the case with Alcohol as well, many of the negative effects (comedown etc.) of Amphetamines are greatly amplified when consumed during withdrawal. If you decide to take the Amphetamines, I would really try to keep the dose low. 10mg - 20mg of some Dextroamphetamine at most. You really don't want to have to deal with a serious stimulant comedown when you already feel like shit.

This is going to be the key. You can do it in whatever order works for you, but unless you plan on staying awake for a month while you apply the regimen, you're going to need a good sleep medication. Take a small dose of oxy with the sleeping pill to make sure you don't have symptoms in the middle of your sleep. Obv make sure the sleep agent is safe to take with oxy. I've used Meth to counteract oxy withdrawals, and speed works well in masking withdrawal effects. But adding another drug or 2 to your daily regimen can create a whole new set of problems if not handled correctly.

I would like to delve into this specific topic partly because of something I overheard at my weekly suboxone group. An individual in this group stated, "All I need is to get a script of addreall so i can get off suboxone and use the adderall during the withdrawal." Mind you he had not tapered at all and had been on a dose above 8 mg for over 10 years. AS well he had been talking about stopping for over 9 months but had not actually tapered. I reframed from telling him what I was thinking.

What was going over in my mind was the fact that the research conducted on stimulants for acute opiate WD is completely lacking. There is basically no evidence suggesting that taking stimulants during opiate WD is helpful in the short or long term. The sleep disturbances, eating problems and anxiety it can produce goes against everything used in medicine to quell WD's. Now treating under medicated ADD or ADHD is a different story in relation to co-occuring disorders. Stay away from stimulants during opiate WD. Doing a gradual taper would likely make you feel much better during the process compared to depending on speed. What happens many times is the individual relapses and then begins using speed and opiates daily. Then shit really goes downhill.

Yeah i completely understand this. I've heard people doing methamphetamines while detoxing from pills and heroin. I'd guess, it's just all upon the user.

When i was in my heroin days and opiate addiction. I'd never have bad sickness like everyone talks and crys about. What's the point of using if you're just going to cry all the time. Crying isn't going to help. Anyways, I'd have sweats and the feeling that my legs needed stretching.

Anyways, the crying part wasn't towards OP nor anyone on this forum. We have lots of people who cry where I'm from over being sick. You shouldn't use if you're not man enough to take what it brings.

IceDancer
Part of what intense opiate WD brings is actual crying. This takes place not because they are not man enough but instead because there are serious chemical changes occurring in the brain that directly effect depression and anxiety. Also watering eyes apart from crying and yawning are a well known symptom of WD. I find I begin to cry when in WD. I start thinking about how it's a chronic disease that is many times for life. This thought accompanied by weeks of no sleep, pain, RLS, nausea, diarrhea, dehydration, sweating and shaking tends to make a grown man cry. Crying has nothing to do with being man enough. Maybe it's time to man up enough to get over some of that machismo BS.

Even doing speed, some tapering is going to be required, but you can get to a much smaller daily dose of oxy a lot quicker. That's really the only advantage to using speed.

You're switching one dopaminergic drug with the other. Plenty of opiate addicts (iatrogenic, recreational, etc.) get addicted to amphetamines once they stop using opiates, and sometimes end up in a worse situation than they were in. The benefit of tapering oxy slightly faster is largely outweighed by the addictive potential of amphetamines.

no, your heart is going to be too stressed. replace a sedative with a different sedative.

I understand what you're saying, I'm talking about complaning about being dope sick. It's more of a look at me I'm sick cry.
I was offerd him & her methadone to help from being so sick. They refused saying it doesn't work and i got frustrated with them. It wasn't like the cry you're talking about. Pretty hard to explain

That dose is most likely close to your WD threshold. If WD symptoms do occur, the amp will exacerbate the symptoms 2- 3 fold. While in WD, your CNS and PNS, are hyperactive already. The last thing you want to do is add a stimulant to the equation, you'll start flopping around like a fish lol..

Your best bet is a slow taper, reducing your dose 10-20% a week..

- hs

I understand what you're saying, I'm talking about complaning about being dope sick. It's more of a look at me I'm sick cry.
I was offerd him & her methadone to help from being so sick. They refused saying it doesn't work and i got frustrated with them. It wasn't like the cry you're talking about. Pretty hard to explain
Thanks for clarifying this point.