• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Usine valium to counter impatience and restlessness caused by haldol

Gaffy

Bluelighter
So my Last experience with Eutylone turned into a disaster, damn it's addictive, made me reckless during dosing.. So I've been put on haldol again, just for this month, and experience a big lack of concentration, patience and have a very short attention span. Usually I'd turn to stimulants to make up for this, but I can't access any until next week (bought some NEP sourcing from spain ), so I turned to valium to facilitate relaxation and it seems to work. Haldol being mostly an antagonist at many sites, does it somehow interact with GABA sites? It not, how would you explain that valium helps with dopamine related issues? Is There a retroactive effect of GABA modulation on the dopamine receptors? Or am I just overusing my brain by being able to have a normal attention span (not per see concentration levels or state of ability ) thanks to GABA activation despite dopamine action?

If those symptoms include a difficulty of sittting down and staying still, then it could be akathisia caused by the antipsychotic. You better tell your doctor about it, it can be a real pain in the ass if it gets worse.

It is slightly stronger on D3 than D2 but is the difference really enough to call it selective?

For example quetiapine has a roughly similar slight preference for D2 over D3 but induces terrible akathisia too at moderate-high doses.

Stupid question but did you @Gaffy experience psychotic symptoms which lasted significantely longer than the effects of the drugs you took, for that you were put on haloperidol?

Lack of concentration and short attention span sounds like ADD, which is probably too little dopamine in the frontal lobe and why stimulants help but at least I tend to question why to block the DA receptors at first just to use another drug to increase activity at the very same receptors. Ok, it's more complex and possibly different drugs affect different brain regions differently so good if you get better results this way.

Haldol is really one of the heaviest antipsychotics still used, gave me dyskinesia from just 1mg which required anticholinerges. Imo it's a last resort for non-responders and some/many docs keep it this way. As ibtisam wrote, if you require an antipsychotic, there are better tolerated alternatives - maybe a partial agonist like aripiprazol, low doses aren't particularly anhedonic and should be better about akathisia and ADD too.

Don't know the exact way why benzos help but guess akathisia will be mediated by a glutamatergic excitatory circuit which GABA counters. There is an increase in glutamate in tardive dyskinesia (described e.g. here, had a good source about glutamate-dopamine interaction which I need to search) and yeah, dopamine both calms RLS as it increases locomotion. Analog to how DA can cause compulsive behaviour and at the same time improves attention and decision making - the tendency is that too less is horrible, a little is good, some is rewarding but more becomes horrible again.

It is slightly stronger on D3 than D2 but is the difference really enough to call it selective?

For example quetiapine has a roughly similar slight preference for D2 over D3 but induces terrible akathisia too at moderate-high doses.

Stupid question but did you @Gaffy experience psychotic symptoms which lasted significantely longer than the effects of the drugs you took, for that you were put on haloperidol?

Lack of concentration and short attention span sounds like ADD, which is probably too little dopamine in the frontal lobe and why stimulants help but at least I tend to question why to block the DA receptors at first just to use another drug to increase activity at the very same receptors. Ok, it's more complex and possibly different drugs affect different brain regions differently so good if you get better results this way.

Haldol is really one of the heaviest antipsychotics still used, gave me dyskinesia from just 1mg which required anticholinerges. Imo it's a last resort for non-responders and some/many docs keep it this way. As ibtisam wrote, if you require an antipsychotic, there are better tolerated alternatives - maybe a partial agonist like aripiprazol, low doses aren't particularly anhedonic and should be better about akathisia and ADD too.

Don't know the exact way why benzos help but guess akathisia will be mediated by a glutamatergic excitatory circuit which GABA counters. There is an increase in glutamate in tardive dyskinesia (described e.g. here, had a good source about glutamate-dopamine interaction which I need to search) and yeah, dopamine both calms RLS as it increases locomotion. Analog to how DA can cause compulsive behaviour and at the same time improves attention and decision making - the tendency is that too less is horrible, a little is good, some is rewarding but more becomes horrible again.
Nope

Got it. I get tropatepine, it's called lepticur and works in the same manner.
Man i swear haldol Is Poison, id rather drink Bleach than take that shit or risperidone. Worst antipsychs ever. Y dont ya ask for a switch of meds?

Man i swear haldol Is Poison, id rather drink Bleach than take that shit or risperidone. Worst antipsychs ever. Y dont ya ask for a switch of meds?
I first got risperidone a few years back, i prefer haldol, it duls less. And a switch of medication would mean a new hospit for observation

I first got risperidone a few years back, i prefer haldol, it duls less. And a switch of medication would mean a new hospit for observation
ahhhhh man, the only antipsychs that hasn't bothered me at all have been quetiapine and olanzapine. the rest are shit.

If it works for YOU then that is good news,.

I'm sure that you are aware that their are a number of side-effects to the neuroleptics and akathisia is quite a common side-effect. Diazepam (Valium) used to be prescribed for such side-effects here in the UK. I do not know if the protocol or the choice of neuroleptics. It is discussed to some depth in the book 'Phone at Nine, Just to Say You're Alive' by Linda Hart. Please do not be put off by the title. The lady who wrote it was given an almost unlimited amount of diazepam [PRN] and it was partly the fact that SHE got to decide that made the difference to her.

If you know when you need the medication then that is a definite plus. I am scripted quetiapine [PRN] for circadian bipolar disorder and sometimes the med is certainly preferable to the symptoms.

If you're not at risk for serious psychotic symptoms then there is no reason to hospitalize you. Often enough they throw prescriptions for APs like quetiapine, chlorprothixene or even olanzapine, risperidone after people like candy, without any warning about possible and probable side effects like weight gain, said akathisia etc.

Know some begin to want to hospitalize you for every little shit if they know you're into drugs, especially of they suspect you're dosing compulsively (which is interpreted very differently, for one doc every drug use is reckless, for another it requires a recent OD to fulfill this criterium) and there is some reason behind but that's one of the reasons why I just don't tell amymore about drugs unless it's somebody who I know treats some people with far worse consumption (they tend to prescribe all sort of heavy stuff to keep you from developing a similar pattern if you ask for, like opioids or stims but it's rare).

I might have atypical reactions but risperidone is heavy shit. Confused me so much that I forgot essential things. Quetiapine below 100, maybe even 250mg isn't an antipsychotic but an overpriced antihistaminergic and antiadrenergic, some others are similar. Im other time they watched for antidopaminergic side effects to tell whether they met an effective dose (afaik it was a dude called 'Ha(a)se' - German for rabbit - who developed this theory; and why they sold clozapine as 'Leponex' - rabbit's dead.. it was the first atypical, means it was effective below the threshold of motoric side effects. Certainly an improvement.)
Haldol is cognitively clear but I guess that's just cause it is extrapiramidally overly aggressive and a higher dose would be like hell. The Germans call it 'concrete injection' for a reason.

(If you are certain about not having any history of psychosis, you might ask for ami/sulpride. That's a different sort of atypical, one that has high affinity for dopamine autoreceptors and in dose of 50-100(?)mg actually increases dopamine output. Not to be combined with stims but it will probably help with rebound and craving.)

Last edited:
The way I read this, you went off the deep end and did way too much eutylone, were totally spun and not thinking clearly, did something dumb/reckless and got checked out by a psych doc, who then prescribed haldol for your hyperactive/paranoid/reckless/threatening behaviour (in fact this happened to me twice)

this is not really that unusual of a situation, but really blaming your psych is not the correct thing to do here, you should accept a little personal responsibility and take this as a serious lesson to not go to total binge mode on SNDRI/SNDRAs.

as for making haldol more easily handled, sadly there is not much that will do that, I was given benztropine for some of the akathisa but it did very little, ymmv

Please gaffy, take it easy with the stims in future, this is not a normal outcome of friendly recreational use, it's a clear sign you can't control your intake of stims and you may end up hurting yourself or others inadvertently if you continue

The way I read this, you went off the deep end and did way too much eutylone, were totally spun and not thinking clearly, did something dumb/reckless and got checked out by a psych doc, who then prescribed haldol for your hyperactive/paranoid/reckless/threatening behaviour (in fact this happened to me twice)

this is not really that unusual of a situation, but really blaming your psych is not the correct thing to do here, you should accept a little personal responsibility and take this as a serious lesson to not go to total binge mode on SNDRI/SNDRAs.

as for making haldol more easily handled, sadly there is not much that will do that, I was given benztropine for some of the akathisa but it did very little, ymmv

Please gaffy, take it easy with the stims in future, this is not a normal outcome of friendly recreational use, it's a clear sign you can't control your intake of stims and you may end up hurting yourself or others inadvertently if you continue
quality message there.

Yup, Thanks. Dumb thing is I relapsed at the start of previous week and went on a bender up to friday, didn't sleep for 5 nights. As for now I'm still awaiting a package of NEP that should arrive anytime now