Recruiting [USA] Using Drugs Other Than Nicotine in combination with electronic cigarettes/vaporizers

LFTR_Lab

Greenlighter
1. This study has been approved by the Virginia Commonwealth University Institutional Review Board (HM2001269)
2. Start date: September 2020. End date dependent on response rate.
3. Study description: The goal of this research study is to better understand the use of e-cigarettes as drug delivery systems for substances and/or drugs other than nicotine (DOTNs). Our research questions are to ascertain, among individuals who use drugs other than nicotine (DOTNs) in their ECIG devices, which drugs are being used, the frequency of that use, and what demographic and other factors are associated with that use (i.e., gender, age, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, other tobacco product use, urban/rural location). We designed an anonymous survey to gather this information: eligible participants will be asked questions regarding demographics, tobacco product use, electronic cigarette product use, drugs other than nicotine (in an electronic cigarette/vaping device) use, and e-liquid product use. We will also give participants the option to upload photos to the survey of the device(s) they use with drugs other than nicotine, and ask for participants' feedback on the survey as well as their opinions about what researchers need to know about the use of drugs other than nicotine in electronic cigarette/vaping devices.
4. Participants must be at least 18 years of age and a United States resident.
5. There is no payment associated with this study.
6. We expect the survey to take approximately 15 minutes (or less).

Survey link: https://redcap.vcu.edu/surveys/?s=9TRFFKTTMF

Questions? We can be contacted at [email protected] or via the Bluelight private messaging system.

15 mins is too long for an unpaid survey

Made: mxe, etizolam.
Seen locally(uk): weed, spice.
Seen on darknet: dmt, meth, heroin, other benzos.

15 mins is too long for an unpaid survey

Made: mxe, etizolam.
Seen locally(uk): weed, spice.
Seen on darknet: dmt, meth, heroin, other benzos.

Hi jhjhsdi,

I understand the feelings about survey length and compensation. Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback, both about the survey and personal experience.

Thanks @LFTR_Lab for structuring your post to match the forum guidelines. Most appreciated.

As there is more detailed information available from the participant info at the beginning of your survey, I am quoting that below for future reference, but I've removed your individual phone numbers for your privacy's sake. See below.

STUDY TITLE: Use of Substances in Electronic Cigarette Devices

VCU INVESTIGATOR: Dr. Michelle Peace, Associate Professor, and Dr. Alison Breland, Assistant Research Professor

SPONSOR: National Institutes of Justice

ABOUT THIS CONSENT FORM
You are being invited to participate in a survey as part of a research study. We are working to better understand the use of e-cigarettes/ vaping devices as drug delivery systems for substances and/or drugs other than nicotine. We are asking you to participate in this study because you may be able to offer insight.

Your participation is voluntary. You do not have to participate in this survey; it is your choice. There is no penalty if you choose not to participate. If you do participate, you may withdraw from the study at any time.

Participation in this study should take no longer than 20 minutes, but you may take as much time as you need. It is recommended you complete the survey in private to prevent others from impacting your answers. If you agree to proceed, you will first be asked questions for about 1-2 minutes to determine if you meet all requirements before taking the survey.

If you qualify for this study, you will then be asked to complete an online survey asking you about demographic information, personal tobacco product use, electronic cigarette product use, drugs other than nicotine (in an electronic cigarette/vaping device) use, and e-liquid product use. You will also have the option to upload photos of the electronic cigarette/ vaping device(s) you use. You may also stop the survey at any time by closing your browser. If you want us to remove your data at any time, you may contact our study team using the information below. There will be no penalty.

You will not receive any direct personal health benefit from completing this survey. You will not receive any individual results from the study. Findings from this study will be available online in the coming months at www.cstp.vcu.edu.

This survey is anonymous, which means we will not collect any personal information from you. In research, there is always a minor risk for loss of confidentiality; however, we will not let anyone outside our study team see your answers or account information. We will do our best to keep your information safe by securely storing your answers on our servers. There will be no way to identify you when/if you submit your survey or when data from this survey are shared outside of the study team. The data from this study may be used for future research studies or distributed to the study sponsor or another researcher for future studies without additional informed consent.

Do you have any questions or want any clarifications? We are happy to help! The study team may be contacted at [email protected] or 804-827-3562 if you have any general questions about the study. If you contact us, please be sure to mention the “drugs other than nicotine study,” as this will help us better assist you. You may contact the VCU Institutional Review Board (IRB) if you have general questions about your rights as a participant, or if you wish to discuss problems or concerns. They can be reached by phone at (804) 827-2157, or by mail at Virginia Commonwealth University Office of Research, 800 East Leigh Street, Suite 3000, Box 980568, Richmond, VA 23298.

Bitcoin- I am a fan. I've had a wallet for a few years now.
Not sure if you are aware that Bitcoin keeps a public log.
If you have tumbled coins and done a few other things, sure, it may be hard enough to trace.
but it's not anonymous, exactly.

Even so, the question remains how a researcher conducting a survey would pay a participant in BTC or otherwise in a way that doesn't identify them. I guess they could put their BTC address into a box at the end of the survey?

The issue then comes that people have an incentive to complete the survey multiple times, over and over, corrupting the data.

My approach with web surveys is to avoid payments but to engage with the target group as well as possible so they get as much benefit as possible - so they get a good chance to input into the research, to see the findings, to comment on them.

I realise that isn't a big enough incentive for some of us, though.

ive made/used vapes w hash, hash oil, meth, dmt, ketamine, heroin, dilaudid, mushrooms extract, coke, and mdma. some need a pg/vg juice to carry them, but others were able to be tossed right in an empty cart n heated n bingbangboom...issawraaappp!

Reactions: CFC
ive made/used vapes w hash, hash oil, meth, dmt, ketamine, heroin, dilaudid, mushrooms extract, coke, and mdma. some need a pg/vg juice to carry them, but others were able to be tossed right in an empty cart n heated n bingbangboom...issawraaappp!

Hey @desert.heat.extracts

This is the first we have heard firsthand of a few of these being used in vapes. Thank you for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
@desert.heat.extracts Curious as to how the mushroom extract one worked out as it does not seem like it would. Also on the coke attempt how did that one go and you obviously went with base? With this one were you able to achieve bellringer results?

Last edited:
I don't think such issues need to be discussed. As practice shows, if a teenager mixes some kind of drug in e-liquid, it has a terrible effect on his health, up to death. I didn't come up with it, real cases of death are fixed, so I think it's useless to hold such meetings. After all, the harm of electronic cigarettes and vapes has already been proven, but this does not prevent people from smoking. I sometimes vape myself, but I rarely do it because regular smoking leads to death. How can I not smoke when my friends constantly give me delicious e-liquid like red crush e-liquid.

Last edited: