• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Urinary retention.

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I find that this can be one of the more bothersome side-effects of opiate use, yet it is discussed MUCH less frequently than most others. Depending on how much I've used as well as relative potency, I can end up sitting on the toilet for at least as long as what would be usual for a shit lol. Sometimes it can take me ten minutes or more - and in fact I have fallen asleep on the toilet many times, and woken up an hour later completely numb or sore. Outside of a few minor tricks, there really doesn't seem to be too much that can be done about it

happens to me too. Just had a complete physical yesterday and asked the doc about it, after all nothings taboo after a guys just fondled your balls, and he said it's completely normal . He also said the same about reduced ejaculated amount if anyone is wondering :)

Happens to me often. It got so bad a couple times after that i had to go to hospital and get a catheter. I haven't found anything that works reliably to control it. I just try not to drink an outrageous amount of fluids while I'm high.

I get this really bad. I hate going up to a urinal with other guys in the toilets and just standing there not pissing.

Makes me look like I either got stage fright or I'm just there for the dick.

I get this really bad. I hate going up to a urinal with other guys in the toilets and just standing there not pissing.

Makes me look like I either got stage fright or I'm just there for the dick.

haha, that's a good one... just there for the dick! I'm so high, I can't stop laughing at shit..... Has anyone seen the "monroe-einstein optical illusion"? I laughed my balls off at that one. That's what started it all...

Not being able to piss isn't funny though. I've noticed that since I switched to methadone (from morphine), that sensation went away and now I take long, furious pisses in an instant... Also, less constipation... like none. Waaaay less pain relief, but everything else is better. I just took a few g's of gaba, a few mg's of xanny, a couple Rick Simpson CBD's and a 2:1 CBD:THC spray (5-6 sprays under tongue at a time!) to help kick off my methadone dose that will be here in an hour... Feeling kinda better already, ;)

The best trick for this is putting your penis in hot water. This doesn't work well for females though

I find that this can be one of the more bothersome side-effects of opiate use, yet it is discussed MUCH less frequently than most others. Depending on how much I've used as well as relative potency, I can end up sitting on the toilet for at least as long as what would be usual for a shit lol. Sometimes it can take me ten minutes or more - and in fact I have fallen asleep on the toilet many times, and woken up an hour later completely numb or sore. Outside of a few minor tricks, there really doesn't seem to be too much that can be done about it

I know and it's not only about constipation. It also retains lots of water in your body like the thread title suggests. You can have less of that if you exercise regularly. It helps when you move around. But it's annoying having that on a long term.

Happens to me often. It got so bad a couple times after that i had to go to hospital and get a catheter. I haven't found anything that works reliably to control it. I just try not to drink an outrageous amount of fluids while I'm high.

Same thing happened to me. I had to get a catheter at the ER. It was not bad at all, so if you gotta do it, it doesn't hurt.

How about something like tamsulosin (flomax)? Its supposed to aid in urination. My wife was prescribed some along with some percocet because she often passes kidney stones.

I know you mentioned minor tricks already but somethings that used to help me: hot bath or shower, the sound of running water, and lightly running my fingers on my back or thighs (trying to give myself the chills - for some reason this was often instrumental in peeing during my heavy using days).

The best trick for this is putting your penis in hot water. This doesn't work well for females though
I second this for very bad cases of urinary retention. When I had kidney stones, I couldn't urinate very easily at all because I had ureteral obstruction from the stones, which was coupled with the frequent use of high dose opiate analgesia. I used to fill the sink in the hopsital with warm water and dip my chap in it and try to relax, 8/10 it worked. Unfortunately the obstruction got too bad and eventually I had to be catheterised.

How about something like tamsulosin (flomax)? Its supposed to aid in urination. My wife was prescribed some along with some percocet because she often passes kidney stones.
Yep as per my post above, alpha-blockers such as Tamsulosin/Flomax worked very well to relax my urethral tubes which had constricted from the stones present in them. I don't know what causes urinary retention with opiates so couldn't necessarily say that Tamsulosin would have the same effect. I'd expect it to be useful though.

When i had a huge benzo addiction i ended in the ER getting cath'ed. I kept drinking more and more water expecting it would help, which it didn't. It only made it worse until it was so painful i had no other choice. Sometimes when using, i'll just have to wait until i start to come down before i can go.

Interesting about dipping it in hot water, i have always used a a few few drops of really cold water, like as much as i can hold in my hand and letting it run down my wang and off the tip. Sometimes helps. Also i've found standing at the sink with the water running full blast and just trying to piss in the sink works for me. Another way i've overcome it it is leaning into the shower with the water running out of the bath spigot and leaning against the wall and pissing in the tub. Ya, they're gross methods I'll admit, but when you gotta go and you're loaded, especially at some shooting gallery dope spot, you don't much care...

I never had a problem pissing.......in fact, I tend to piss a lot on morphine.

Opana is the only thing I've taken that has caused me to have urinary issues. You're right it's really a pain in the ass, and it kind of hurts in a weird way too. Almost like being constipated, but not as painful.

I never had a problem pissing.......in fact, I tend to piss a lot on morphine.

Yea, but from your posts on methadone potency and never having tried dilaudid (or IV'd, right?)... from what I can gather, you have a LOW tolerance, if any...

People referring to urinary issues on opiates are referring to side effects caused by high doses for extended periods of time...:(

When i had a huge benzo addiction i ended in the ER getting cath'ed. I kept drinking more and more water expecting it would help, which it didn't. It only made it worse until it was so painful i had no other choice. Sometimes when using, i'll just have to wait until i start to come down before i can go.

Interesting about dipping it in hot water, i have always used a a few few drops of really cold water, like as much as i can hold in my hand and letting it run down my wang and off the tip. Sometimes helps. Also i've found standing at the sink with the water running full blast and just trying to piss in the sink works for me. Another way I've overcome it it is leaning into the shower with the water running out of the bath spigot and leaning against the wall and pissing in the tub. Ya, they're gross methods I'll admit, but when you gotta go and you're loaded, especially at some shooting gallery dope spot, you don't much care...

Whoa. This is the EXACT same thing I've been doing to try to get past it haha. I thought it was so weird, I had to be the only one. I stand in the shower bent forward with my arms against the wall (as if I'm about to take it from behind lol sorry for the imagery, but it's a very accurate description of the position) and then I turn the water on in the tub. Then I take a glass with me and fill it once the water is hot enough - pour some on the 'ole wang, then strain like hell to try and force at least SOMETHING out. Rinse and repeat.

I find that if the retention is only mild to moderate, it's mainly just a problem initiating the stream, but once it gets going it's usually fine and all comes out. However, on days when I take a lot of extra methadone or really high on anything else in the past, it can start to become really scary because nothing I do can make it come out. After 10-15 minutes of pure straining and various techniques, I'm lucky to get a quick few drops of very light stream before it fully retreats again. I'm really lucky I've never had to go to the ER and get catheterized for this. That really must have sucked and been so scary for you guys :(

People referring to urinary issues on opiates are referring to side effects caused by high doses for extended periods of time...:(

not so much... i had this problem from day 1 of chipping all the way through addiction. i fucking HATED it. (btw, @LucyBookit, from what I've heard getting catheterized is much worse for dudes than it is for the ladies ;)).

I always turn on the sink a little and focus on pissing, and just kinda loosen up and it USUALLY works for me..

And also, sitting down makes it alot easier, I can't do it when I'm standing, lol.