• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Urinary retention on Ecstasy, MDMA or any MDxx compound and tips on how to avoid it

scatterday

Bluelight Crew
Greetings bluelighters,

I'm sure I'm not speaking for myself when I say this but I'm surely not the only one who experiences this and it gets super frustrating towards the end of the night. It doesn't seem to affect me during the roll but after it wears off it's almost impossible to use the bathroom.

I have a few tips and tricks which I mess around with but none seem to work effectively every time. Pants are up and you're busting to go, Then pants come down and you just can't pee it's the most frustrating thing. 😂

Used to happen every time to friends and myself years ago we just never found a work around so I'm trying to get to the bottom of this one. I guess the most sensible suggestion would be to reduce the dose of the drug but if that's out of the question what would be next..

What tips and tricks can you suggest to avoid this?

Magnesium supplements, specifically a highly bioavailable form like chelated magnesium or magnesium bisglycinate, will generally help with all forms of excess muscular tension induced by stimulants - including jaw clenching and insurmountable clenching of the urinary sphincter. Honestly though whenever I have done huge amounts of MDMA in the past I wasn't one to carry around a bunch of chunky supplements, nor was I in an environment where it was easy to do so, so this advice, at least as far as it relates to this specific problem, is moreso theoretical than from personal experience.

Other than that I've always found alcohol helps... not exactly a safe and harm reduction oriented solution though.

Magnesium supplements, specifically a highly bioavailable form like chelated magnesium or magnesium bisglycinate, will generally help with all forms of excess muscular tension induced by stimulants - including jaw clenching and insurmountable clenching of the urinary sphincter. Honestly though whenever I have done huge amounts of MDMA in the past I wasn't one to carry around a bunch of chunky supplements, nor was I in an environment where it was easy to do so, so this advice, at least as far as it relates to this specific problem, is moreso theoretical than from personal experience.

Other than that I've always found alcohol helps... not exactly a safe and harm reduction oriented solution though.

I've found massaging your lower abdomen sometimes helps when you're faced with the problem of urinary retention, I hear electrolyte rich drinks can help as can green tea but I'm yet to test them out. Unfortunately it's one of the side effects of MDMA causing delayed ejaculation which also affects your urinary sphincter.

It's all serotonin related just need to read up on the exact science behind it again as I need to refresh my memory but I know there's a method out there somewhere somebody is aware of that works.

Just trying to see what works, I know magnesium prevents bruxism or at least reduced the severity of it but I've never been too concerned about that issue.

its not a nice side effect sometimes i have been left holding in a piss for a good 6-8 hours which is very painful i use to drink alot while on mdma aswell which made it worse a large urge to piss while been impossible. At the end of a night taking a warm bath can help sometimes to get some blood flowing.

its not a nice side effect sometimes i have been left holding in a piss for a good 6-8 hours which is very painful i use to drink alot while on mdma aswell which made it worse a large urge to piss while been impossible. At the end of a night taking a warm bath can help sometimes to get some blood flowing.

Same here it's my worst side effect but only affects me once the roll is worn off.

Hot shower/bath seems like the best solution so far I do it myself.

Warm running water sometimes helps. It is both the sound of the water and the warm sensation that seem to really assist.

Eating salt foods and snacks, anything to get up and keep up your electrolyte balance. This is the biggest issue with urinary retention.

Other tricks...

-Running water
-Bathroom privacy
-(If Male) Rubbing the underside of your penis softly just below the head. Rubbing other areas can help too.
- Sitting down. And if sitting for awhile stand up and continue to try. Sometimes the act of distracting yourself for a second by switching positions can get it going.
-Don’t stress. Stay calm, it’ll happen. If you start to freak out it’s only going to make it worse. If your having trouble, go do something for 5-10mins then go back and try again.
-Try and piss often to keep the bladderfrom getting too full. Sometimes a really full bladder can be harder to empty than a moderately full one.

-GC

Damn guys/girls, this one completely slipped my mind it's been so long. Yeah been there, done that. It's just come back to me. And actually, my memories, or rather memories of my feelings about it- aren't that negative. I think I remember kind of always accepting it and not letting it bother or ruin my high or the night and usually when the symptom was present I was in such an amazing headspace and conscious and so connected to everything around me that that it was impossible to be particularly bothered or put out by anything or anyone.

Although what I didn't used to like was being totally off my face at illegal raves on loads of really strong trippy pills and constantly trying to find somewhere to pee he feeling really self-conscious and not sure if anybody could see me or not and nothing coming out, which was imports due to the fact I was so paranoid about possibly exposing myself unaware, that I could never completely relax and fully commit to releasing the urine.

So that has come back to me memories of being in large illegal busy venues and not feeling there was anywhere I could stand, inside or out for long enough completely relaxed to release the urine.

I can remember walking long distances off site, like in industrial complexes full or separate warehouses, just to get some privacy but feeling well sketchy and paranoid about the police coming past which was a really stupid position to put myself in where the only real sanctuary was in with the crowd at the party.

And I still could never piss after walking all that way I would give up and just accept retention for the rest of the night.

Also so I went did my officially largest piss of my life out of this world, on the way to an illegal rave on a Saturday night.

I had taken a full gram of really pure MDMA crystal over the Friday night and was still on another level Saturday night on the way to this party about midnight having not slept but feeling absolutely fantastic and fully grounded, "cleansed".

So we were driving to this party in my friend's car, we didn't know directions and were following the car in front so we had to keep up and I was absolutely bursting for a wee like never before in my life I knew I could not hold it for much longer.

I was pleading with the driver to try and signal the car in front to pull over so I could jump out for a wee but this was never going to happen and suddenly haven't gotten a bit lost the car in front pulled into to a closed petrol garage in the middle of nowhere at night not the sort of place you want to be stopping in those situations with police on the prowl.

Before this golden opportunity presented I had been pleading with the driver and other passengers to make it possible for me to go to the toilet because it was going to burst and explode inside the car. They didn't understand and and suggested being out the window or into a bottle or something but there's no way that would have been possible.

If we had not stopped when we did this urine would have literally burst through my clothing like a fireman's hose pipe and would have soaked everybody in the car I'm really not exaggerating.

So I immediately jumped out when we pulled into the petrol garage the leading car was reluctant to stop and wait and was getting very antsy. I stepped a few feet and just let it go and well I can't tell you what an enormous p this was it must have been a world record literally like a giant hose pipe which went on forever and ever.

And what relief. One of the greatest feelings on Earth in fact. I just about managed to avoid getting left behind lol and get back in the car so go to an excellent party where I took another 13 amazing high quality MDMA pills with 5 tabs of acid and a good 2 grams of ketamine and had a truly spectacular night and beyond.

^^^Dude I know that feeling of “can’t get far enough away.” Lol.

The small festivals I go to are usually off in the woods and I’ll trek way off into them tripping and rolling hard just to get the privacy to piss. Usually it takes forever and then I gotta find my way back, only to feel the need 20min later haha.

Anyone else get some rolls/trips where they feel the need to piss constantly? And others not so much? I sure do.

-GC

Some really great suggestions so far, It's good to see the thread coming along with plenty of ideas.

I've tried the following ideas with random succession but if it's really bad it seems like nothing works I've tried so far

-Sitting down on a toilet
-Running water
-Shower (Probably the most successful method yet but taking a shower every time you need to pee would be really weird haha)
-Staying calm (End up getting frustrated if nothing works after a few minutes), Pants go up and the feeling comes back instantly.
-Lower abdomen massage

Haven't tried rubbing the underside of my penis yet but it could work.

Oh man so many things relate to me in this thread hahaha, The paranoia behind people watching you and nothing coming out. I feel super embarrassed when that happens and can only assume people are looking at me like I'm just a guy with his dick out for no reason standing near an object. 😂

It's not a huge problem for me until the roll wears off then it's like impossible for a few hours. What makes it worse is when you have friends telling you it's all in your head and you know you have to go but are unable to.

I've definitely had rolls/trips where I need to pee constantly it's awful, I try not to load up on too much liquids before the roll and during the roll unless I'm just trying to maintain a healthy electrolyte balance and hydration and replace what I've been perspiring throughout the night.

I'll often get the common question of "Where the fuck have you been for half hour dude"... Then I respond with an upset and disappointed statement of trying to pee but I couldn't. I feel like 2-3/10ths of my nights on a hard MDMA binge are wasted trying to pee and looking to eliminate that.

Here's an article on the science behind why urinary retention occurs https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0736467903003433 although I remember reading something regarding serotonin and the ability to orgasm which directly coincides with urinary retention.

I found this only to be a problem with mdbp,aka eden or methyl j it's the butyl analogue of mdma.its awesome stuff but when you have to take a piss you can only get a few drops out at a time.
Didn't happen with mdma

^^^Dude I know that feeling of “can’t get far enough away.” Lol.

The small festivals I go to are usually off in the woods and I’ll trek way off into them tripping and rolling hard just to get the privacy to piss. Usually it takes forever and then I gotta find my way back, only to feel the need 20min later haha.

Anyone else get some rolls/trips where they feel the need to piss constantly? And others not so much? I sure do.

-GC
Haha, thanks for that. I'm glad I wasn't the only one. And those lengthy off site treks, in nature and not paranoid about society and law, I did actually find quite therapeutic. It was almost like embarking on a spiritual quest, with a real sense of achievement and purpose, connection with self.

Another thing I used to like to do at some point at nice outdoor parties when the sun has come up I would usually take myself away from the crowd and find a nice little quiet spot to just be for a little while until I felt completely ready to return to the rave again.

I remember that one party I was with a girl who was a bit insecure about being left alone no romance between ask her boyfriend and my good friend had left the party not feeling well and she was very insecure about being and these places generally especially without her boyfriend but I was a very close friend so she was making an exception to stay at the party that night.

So anyway, come 10 am maybe Sunday morning, gorgeous sunny day (we stayed until 5pm), I naturally decided it was time for my little escape. Serina was very unsettled and unconvincee about this.

But I was always a free spirit, one to do my own thing, but totally there put all of my friends always and extremely considerate and accommodation but at the same time free to my own agenda and totally irrepressible and independant.

She reluctantly accompanied me to where I found my ideal little spot, sitting in full sun behind some long grasses, very close to the rave and music. As soon as we settled down in the calm place, Serina instsntly got it. Her irrational anxiety ceased and she really appreciate it the time out from the party and crowd.

She could see exactly why I used to do that and we sat there perfectly relaxed and free for a while until felt ready to to return, refreshed and motivated again.

Luckily for me, i always have to pee. EXCEPT when on mdma. Then when its over, the flood-gates are open all night and its quite irritating. lmao