• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Urgent thinktank required for drug-driving tests.

GABAlover

Bluelighter
Although it would be good to keep some intoxicated drivers off the roads in the interests of safety, drug-driving tests will definitely cause serious harm to many users. We need urgent action to prevent this.

I hope someone has some better ideas, but so far I am thinking on how we could produce false positives on the saliva tests in non-drug users, who would then be taken to the hospital for a blood test which would produce a negative result. It's kinda out there, and would require the cooperation of many pro civil libertarians but if we could do it, public frustration would surely put the police under a lot of pressure to cease this ridiculous assault on users.

8) Geez, I really hope you guys have some better ideas :\

while i am in favor of preventing these on-road drug tests from taking place, unfortunately it doesnt look like itll ever happen.

look at victoria where i think its gone past the trial stage and is 'permanently' in place now. just a matter of time before all our states/territories implement it

Considering that in survey results that I've seen, up to 3/4 or as high as 4/5ths of the public support roadside drug testing, and the current low number of testing stations in various states, the odds of someone who reads this thread, agreeing with what you say and getting drug tested is fairly low.

Also, Victoria Police have spent a fair amount of time and money now testing and trialing this technology, just what type of substance did you have in mind which would produce false-positives on the saliva test?

Kudos for your thoughts :) I apologise in advance for my rambles, smidge coming down and scatty...

I personally have 2 ideas:

1. We find a way to get past the saliva test. Vinegar, mouth etc doesn't work. My GP suggested soda water (because it would neutralise your mouth) but I'm not optimistic. From what I have read the tests are pretty much foolproof. But if there is going to be one test to get past it is going to be the initial test while you are still in your car as it is the least conclusive. Once they get you into the van, if you have drugs in your system, you will test positive at the lab. The obvious downfall with this psuedo-solution is that once we find this wonder serum everyone will find out about it including the police force and they will use their endless resources to overcome it. The other obvious flaws with this theory is the testing factor. We would need one of the machines, testing conditions, money etc etc etc

2. (I am actually seriously considering this) A 'live' website and telephone service that you can log onto or call and find out the locations of any drug/booze buses so you can kind of bypass them in your travels.

I AM NOT ADVOCATING DRINK OR DRUG DRIVING.

I really like option 2 but am not sure of the legalities of providing this type of service. Also the other problem is how to find out where the booze/drug buses are.

Ok that's enough for tonight...

Basically they just need to get tests that are good enough only to test positive for people who are actually under the influence of drugs at the time they test positive.

If this was to happen it would be near impossible for any reasonable person to argue that it is a bad idea. From some links that i think Hoptis put up on an earlier thread, it seemed that the tools they were using were more likely to send back false negatives than false positives.

Last edited:
Don't drive when your intoxicated.
I totally agree with you but there's a difference between driving while peaking/tweaking/high and testing positive for drugs while driving a few days after having a big weekend.

Basically they just need to get tests that are good enough only to test positive for people who are actually under the influence of drugs at the time they test positive.
I'm making the assumption that the drugwipe machine tests for a specific level of 'drug' in your body (like GC-MS testing). If the police would test for lower amounts (for example 200mg rather than 400mg) of the drug then people who aren't necessarily under the influence but do have drugs in their system won't be detained and fined etc. So the opposite of that logic would be that only people that have a high amount of drug in their system i.e. under the influence would be caught.

But the point of the matter is that drugs are illegal, police can do what they want and there is no grey in this situation...

considering you have a slight come down + tad scattered..

/me floats away high on life

GABAlover said:
It's kinda out there, and would require the cooperation of many pro civil libertarians but if we could do it, public frustration would surely put the police under a lot of pressure to cease this ridiculous assault on users.
:\

I know that in Queensland Civil Libertarians are talking about challenging the roadside drug testing issue due to the potential DNA swabs going into a data base, maybe of some use? A good starting point might be Terry O'Gorman, he's always in the media pissed about something and has a reputation of really challenging Government. He works for the Qld Council of Civil Liberties

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I realise the dangers of drug driving but am sick of picking up the pieces of mates after the law has finished with them.

As a short term stop-gap measure, consider this:

There are many users who don't/rarely smoke weed.

-An extremely small amount of an infusion (very easy to make) could be stored in the car.
-Placed in the mouth when pulled over, positive result given, driver says "Gotta be a mistake, I don't smoke that horrible shit".
-Driver taken to hospital to confirm result via blood test. Test proves negative.
-Driver (who happens to have a phobia of needles) is very angry at being jabbed unecessarily and launches counter attack on law enforcement via the civil system.

No explanation deserves disobedience!

After reading, and learning, from the time I became a member of bl I have stopped driving off my head (except for a few small trips around the corner) because of the clear danger's of perception change when driving fucked. Anyone who disagrees hasn't driven home from a outer city rave where the car in front could hardly stay in his lane, travelling over 110km/hr.. that kind of shit is what's created the idea/support for roadside testing, and to an extent I agree with it.

My problem, however, is the extremely disproportionate fines faced by 1st time offenders.. How is a $1300 fine for driving on drugs fair, when compared to a $400 drink driving fine?! Where the fuck did they pull that figure from in the first place anyway.. (probably wanted to match the coppers 3month salary :p)

My other problem, as I have ranted annoyingly before, is the proportionality vs danger between different drugs.. is driving after a few j's as dangerous as driving after 3 pills and 2pts of meth? What about alcohol? Have any studies actually been done to determine these facts? These current laws asume that all illegal drugs have the same effect, in terms of level of road danger posed, how is that so? Scaling penalties between levels of inebriation is another area that has been totally disregarded? I know they do studies for other issues that cause road deaths; 20hrs of being awake then driving is as dangerous as having a .05 BAC, loud music with high bpm = .05ect ect..
Where are the bar charts, statistics and scientific reports that back up all these new penalties.. I want to see a bar chart that represents all drugs on a scale and then compared to level of danger while driving! :X

Before something like this is done, and rational logic takes precedence over extreme policy promotion, I consider roads side drug testing to be completely illegitimate so I'm all for finding a way of subverting it!!
Anyone who knows how to get through this new web post away.. gov's shouldn't be able to impose laws like these without ample explanation and except thinking people won't question them.
Driving wasted is fucking moronic! Still, turning roadside testing in a way to penalise ppl who use drugs privatly gives us every reason to disobey or think of ways to subvert their police state bull shit :X
If there is a intoxication scale for drinking - .05 BAC you can't drive - then there should be some quantatative measure for drugs! I don't want a $1300 fine just because I was in the room with my mates who were smoking bongs and I inhaled enough second-hand smoke to test positive!

Last edited:
iv got the best method for getting past those pesky porkers

just take all the drugs they dont test for!

yep im gunna stop smoking weed it was makn me go a bit crazy next time i need a relaxing hit after a hard days work i'll just inject a nice fat bag of heroin it must be safer to drive on than weed they dont even test for it

so dont worry peoples its simple just follow my drug substitution tips and you'll never get busted by the drug bus ever
methamphetamine - cocaine
ecstacy - 2cb
weed - heroin,valium

or you could just follow some sane advice and not drive whilst intoxicated

^ the drugwipe system -if that's to be employed in qld- also has saliva tests for cocaine and opiates. Most phenethylamines (as opposed to amphetamines) and tryptamines won't register on current immunolabeling tests

While I can understand the frustration that some people are expressing in this thread, I cannot condone for a second the idea that the principle of civil disobedience gives us the right to subvert a law we don't believe in by teaching people how to get around the roadside drug tests.

Firstly, I do not believe that the impairment levels as described by Victoria Police on the Arrive Alive website are that unfair.

17. How long after consuming illicit drugs can they be detected?

The consumption of THC (the active component in cannabis) will be detected for several hours after use. The actual time after consumption that THC will be detected depends on the THC strength of the cannabis used and on the driver’s metabolism. Drivers who may have inactive THC residue in their bodies from use in previous days/weeks will not be detected.

Methamphetamines (speed) may be detected for approximately 24 hours after use. These drugs can affect the ability of a driver to safely control his or her car for at least this period of time. Extremely large doses, other drugs taken at the same time, and differences in individual metabolism may affect the duration of the effects of these drugs.

Arrive Alive, Drug Driving: FAQ

THC: several hours, meth/ecstasy: 24 hours... I mean we're not talking a few days or a week here. Is it really that hard to stay off the road for twenty-four hours?

Remember also that a 0.05 BAC is not always fair to every motorist who is caught drink driving. There are many people who would argue that had they not been breathalyzed by police at 0.05 they would have made it home safely.

0.05 BAC is not a strict rule that means every individual driving over it will stack. It's a guide based on an average police believe can be applied as a general rule, so it is for drug driving.

Different people will metabolise drugs differently and if the rules police apply are not based on conclusive and overwhelming research into drug driving, this is something that should be taken up with the legal system, not used as an excuse to undermine the entire process.

By trying to do so, we're simply validating the view of the majority that drug users are selfish, careless, morons who are mindless zombies to their chosen poison and that we don't care about being responsible citizens, our own safety or the safety of others that we share the road with.

Secondly, let's be honest here and try and recognise just why these laws and the drug testing technology now exist as they do. They exist because for far too long, drug users as a community have been more than happy to get behind the wheel, or accepted lifts from those who should not have been driving.

While the figures Victoria Police claim (some 31% of fatal accidents involving drugs) are a gross exaggeration, there's no doubt that the number of accidents where drugs are involved has increased over the last decade and every single one of us knows why.

I'm not saying all drug users do it, but I would say that if you have never driven under the influence, have never been a passenger in a car where the driver was, and none of your friends have ever driven in an altered state that you're probably in the small minority of people reading this thread.

Thirdly, please try and remember just what this website is about. There is no point advocating people test their pills when they're just going to take them, drive around googed off their head and wrap their car, with their two mates in the back, around a tree at some point in the night.

From what I've seen, I doubt there is an obvious way to fool the saliva test (i.e. vinegar, mouthwash, etc etc.) but even if there was, and you discovered it, you cannot assume we will allow you to post it here. The Bluelight User Agreement clearly states that you must not...

...use Bluelight in any way, shape or form for unlawful purposes, including, without limitation:

2. posting or exchanging any information on ongoing or future criminal activity, or any information which can be construed as discussing such activity;
3. actively encouraging others to engage in criminal activities;

Before you point out that there's an entire forum (now closed) dedicated to beating drug tests, I think the context of this particular drug test is different. I do not imagine the owners of this website would be all that happy with the Victorian Police Minister waving around a copy of the Herald Sun in State Parliament with an article about Bluelight on the front page with a headline like, "DRUG SITE CHEATS SALIVA TEST".

Finally, don't presume based on what I've said that I am trying to argue that roadside drug testing is completely fair and that we should all bend over and accept it as a given.

As a drug user and a road user I am partial to both sides of the argument here.

As a drug user I'm disturbed by further attempts by law enforcement to punish and malign drug users under the guise of road safety. I have no doubt that governments are giving into the temptation to use roadside drug testing as another avenue to fight the war on drugs. Attempts in Queensland to catalogue DNA recovered from mouth swabs are an example of this.

As a road user, who is also a non-drinker, my girlfriend and I were almost killed a couple of years ago by a drunk tosser who ran a red light and T-boned us at an intersection at 60 km/h. As you can imagine, I'd be the first to support stronger sentences for drink driving, but of course, that's because I don't drink.

I think the lesson I'm trying to impart here is the importance of thinking about how your actions, as a drug user and driver ultimately reflect upon all drug users. If more of that had been going on over the last few years, it's unlikely we would have ended up with the situation we have now.

Indeed well done, much of what I would have liked to have said if I could get it in such words!

Very concise man, you definitely know your stuff! I agree with you pretty much :) I'm not having a go at you, and I fully agree that driving while intoxicated of any sort is Fucking stupidity! However I can't disagree with this more;

Hoptis
I cannot condone for a second the idea that the principle of civil disobedience gives us the right to subvert a law we don't believe in
^Is this not what we do every time we light up a joint, visit our drug dealers, go to raves, trip for days on acid, live how bl'ers generally live? Face it, there is a general agreement between ppl like us that subverting laws we don't believe in is acceptable- at least to an extent. Half the threads on this site address issues which could be considered as attempts to subvert the laws of this nation..

This is a different issue no doubt, driving affects not only the driver but others on the road an that's not to be ignored. People should Definitely think hard about their actions, especially when the lives of others are potentially at risk..

These laws just seem too harsh and seemingly a veiled way to penalise a specific section of the community- if this wasn't so, why are alcohol penalties so low in contrast?

Hoptis
By trying to do so, we're simply validating the view of the majority that drug users are selfish, careless, morons who are mindless zombies to their chosen poison and that we don't care about being responsible citizens, our own safety or the safety of others that we share the road with.

Since when did any of us care of the majority view anyway?! ^ Unfortunately this has been our social tag for ages, how is discussing ways of subverting these laws worsening our already "dirty" image in the eyes of a general public that has little compassion to ppl like us?

These laws are disproportionate and not entirely reasonable, that gives us enough reason to think of ways around them.. Remember I DO NOT advocate drug driving, however, their illegitimacy, in my eyes, gives us every reason to discuss ways to subvert them...
Unfortunately as you pointed out this thread is probably agains bl rules so I'll leave it at that..

Still how is this thread, sharing information on ways to subvert roadside testing rules, any different from the thread that shares ideas on ways to conceal drugs while traveling to and from venues where potential searches are conducted?

Still how is this thread, sharing information on ways to subvert roadside testing rules, any different from the thread that shares ideas on ways to conceal drugs while traveling to and from venues where potential searches are conducted?

You said it yourself

This is a different issue no doubt, driving affects not only the driver but others on the road an that's not to be ignored.

If the tests weren't so expensive I'd recommend offering a free one to all leaving an event; a personal breathalyzer type of approach. With improvements in chemical sensors we may one day see such systems available to the public.

Although hoptis made some good points, I ask this:

Which is more dangerous ?

- an elderly man/woman driving with greatly reduced reaction speed, physical strength and peripheral vision due to old age.

- a naturally aggressive driver with a really bad attitude following a fight with his/her spouse.

- a highly unskilled but careful P plate driver who doesnt know if the car they are driving is front wheel drive or rear wheel drive, let alone be able to expain the physics behind the subsequent understeer/oversteer that would likely accompany foolish driving in that particular vehicle

- The skilled driver driving at 0.08 BAC

- The average driver who is moderately stoned on weed

Do you know ? I don't and I am willing to admit that. The point is that drug users are being uniquely and aggresively targeted here.