• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos URGENT - Should I take 180mg Diazepam or risk a seizure instead???

I don't know why people keep saying Valium/diazepam is weak. Everyone is different. I had a genetic test done, and the doc said I was most sensitive to Valium. Personally I think comparing Valium and Klonopin are like comparing apples and oranges. From my experience, I think its more like 1 mg clonazepam = 10 mg diazepam, Everyone is different, I take 40 mg Valium daily, The fact that it has a bunch of metabolites and it builds up in your system, means a lot. As usual, YMMV. If you have tolerance, I would take what you can handle. i would not take 180mg at once, Start lower then that, If you think your going to have a seizure, don't take any more Tramadol, You should probably go to the hospital, don't risk a seizure. If you are in that bad off a condition, go to the hospital now.

That's exactly how I see it. 1 mg clonazepam = 10 mgs Valium and I take approximately 30-40 mgs Valium a day as well. I notice when it's a shorter half life like Xanax though, it requires more than the conversion says because of the half life, which causes me to dose bars over and over.

I remember when I tapered successfully recently down to 5-10 mgs a day of Valium. I would split 2.5 mgs and take it every 4-8 hours depending how badly I needed it/how bad I felt. Eventually that feeling of getting a slight buzz from 5 mgs because you tapered really feels good. The problem is the work load to taper is immense, but the tolerance comeback is swift as hell. You taper for weeks and fuck up 3 days popping bars and bam back to point 0.

I've said this multiple times on BL, but I did a successful taper with diazepam. Prior to that I was taking xanax or clonazepam everyday. Typically one or the other, clonazepam I would typically dose 4-5 2 mg tablets twice a day,(morning and night) and xanax I was getting home pressed bars from raw alprazolam powder, each bar was said to contain 3.5 mgs, which seemed right; I'd usually take 2-3 of those twice a day.

As for Diazepams potency, I'd say it's stronger then it gets credit for, especially with chronic (daily) dosing. I went to the emergency in severe withdrawal, was given i believe 40 mgs of diazepam IV and then 30 mg orally, it was years ago, I can't remember the exact dose, I was in benzo withdrawal too..It fixed me up for sure though.
I was then admitted to a private room, and kept for 28 days until I was stabilized on a once daily dose of 100 mgs of diazepam. 10 of the 10 mg tablets every morning. It took me about 2 years to taper down. Using the 2 mg tablets I was able to get to 1 mg of diazepam, which I jumped off of with no discomfort at all thanks to the help of pregabalin.

So anyways, even though most conversation charts would have put my clonazepam/alprazolam dosage at ~400 mgs of diazepam, 100 mgs of diazepam was enough to keep me stable

Last edited:
Holy crap!! Here in the USA they saw I was on 18mg Clonzepam, by the same doctor, for years, and wouldn't give me more than 5mg Dizepam at a time!! They said 40mg is the max dosage allowed, even though they knew I was on insanely high doses of Clonzepam and could die (their own words). I told them I'm still twitching every few seconds and they gave me one last dose, and I still was having spasms/twitching/etc. But I never had them via IV route before, so I started to laugh randomly sometimes (not around the doctors or nurses of course just when alone listening to music). But I was still in WD at same time. Weird. They told me the IV dose was equal to 5mg Dizepam orally, that's all they would give me -- which both the medic and Doctor knew that wasn't even close to 4mg of Clonzepam X 4 to 5 daily. They knew 5mg Dizepam was equal to like 0.5mg Clonzepam, but that's ALL they would give me!! Knowing I could die from seizures (the ER doctor said this) but nope, that's all they gave me. It didn't even stabilize me hardly at all. It did prevent a deadly seizure, but I felt like death. Then they sent me home with 5mg tablets to take 1 every 12 hours, what a joke. I went through the bottle in 1 day needless to say.

Valium/Dizepam is NOT long Acting. I heard here on Bluelight someone explain it in detail, and said Dizepam is actually the shortest acting Benzo of the long acting ones, lasting only 6 hours. I can say that's VERY ACCURATE. As I can take them before bed, and wake up in WD... Dizepam halflife of 100 is a lie!! Or it's inactive junk. I remember many people saying Dizepam is actually a short acting med, not long acting.
On Clonzepam I could go 48-72 hours before WD. After over a month of being on Dizepam 40mg (sometimes 40-70mg) and if I go say 16 hours between doses I get bad WD, and muscle twitching, etc!! If I take, say, 120mg Valium (all at once) it feels like it last a good 24 hours before wearing off. So maybe the low dose of 40mg isn't enough to build up in my system?? Or maybe Dizepam is short acting like many swear it is.

And damn, I got like 4mg of a Sub left. I cut it into 4 pieces. For months I was on 600mg Tramadol a day, so I thought 0.5mg Sub (strips) would work. Nope. I needed 1mg to 2mg to stop the WD, and the Subs only lasted about 6-10 hours before wearing off!! Wtf!?! I thought it's half life was like 24+ hours? NOW... These strips did expire in 2014 I believe, so maybe they lost potency. I even took 1mg now and an hour later I'm still in WD, it stops the worst WD's, like the urge to vomit nonstop, etc. But chills, pain, headache, etc are still here in full force.
I swear even if I take a full 1.5mg, I feel it work, but it wears off in 6-10 hours and the WD's come back and I'm on the verge of puking, crazy chills, etc if I don't re-dose 2-3X daily..... My metabolism is insanely fast, I can eat a FULL meal and be hungry again 2 hours later. So maybe that's why the Sub's suck, I dunno, or maybe because it expired years ago.
I was on roughly 140mg daily of Hydro or Oxy before switching to 500-600mg of Tramadol, which 600mg of Tramadol stopped ALL of the withdrawals from a 140mg Hydro/Oxy daily usage, even better than Subs do.
Only once when I took 2mg-3mg of Subs on accident I felt fine all day, and woke up not feeling sick for the first time in 6+ years. I just didn't expect I would need a full 2-3mg of Subs to stop Tramadol's opiod withdrawals. I guess Tramadol is way more potent than people give it credit. Way more.

Try collecting the official paperwork for your treatment, the evidence your doctor is out, and maybe even articles stating the dangers of benzo withdrawal while the later is not needed. While everyone gets denied opioids when they shouldn't no one should be denied benzos and expected to call an ambulance if they have a seizure if they are lucky enough to come out of it....

I bet you could survive with what they expect you to survive on, but they shouldn't force you through such discomfort.

How many days has it been? Usually after 5 half lifes of a drug, it should be out of your system. Trust the diazepam, don't worry too much. I've been through benzo wd many times. Not at your dose, but pretty close.

Just tell yourself you're gonna be ok. The mind is very powerful. Best of luck to you man, im sure its a terrible experience for you.

sounds silly but cant you change the tramadol for codeine? or any other mild opiate/opiod for that matter? tramadol doesnt really produce a high and is not the best for pain relief so if you're taking the benzos aswell switch the pill, the diazepam lowers the risk of siezurs obviously you have a tolerance and need to account for the fact that you cant drop doses dramatically to stop or whatever your motive is because the benzo withdrawl will cause siezurs, if you insist on taking tramadol, keep it below 250mg and you almost but not fully eradicate the seizure risk!

sorry for my spellings, not fully with it but thought i would chip in as best i can.

just to add another reply, if you are trying to taper off them and truly are, GOTO THE DOCTORS! they will help you better then any of us because they can assess the situation first hand, as good as advice is, the doctors are there for a reason, don't ignore a very availible option because your scared of being seen as a drug addict or they will cut you off, there more likely to monitor you and put you on the correct amount of diazepam for the taper and also likely to change the tramadol for something more effective at pain relief if thats why you have them, tramadol is the worst opiod on the planet, its one of the only fully synthetic opiods on the market that has a weird chemical structure compared to most opiods, it gives a speedier effect then most opiods and does almost nothing to combat pain compared to even DF-118s (dihydrocodeine) its smart to seek advice but its smarter to seek the right advice.
if you dont want to die and genuinly scared let a doctor at a clinic taper you off with guidance and monitoring you.

A

also dont take any effexor or wellbutrin. those things are like amphetamines and may exacerbate your symptoms

And let us know how you are doing