• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids urgent question for an idiot

rob1990

Greenlighter
I have for around a year to a year and a half been using cocodamol 30/500 paracetamol. I have been taking 4 at a time not daily but on average 4 or 5 times a week to help with my depression how much immediate danger have j put myself in? I have no symptoms but like the idiot I am I was unaware how dangerous paracetamol was until an hour ago and I have done some reading online

this was the only thing that made me feel ok so please try and understand before flaming me I feel bad enough

Taking 2000 mg of paracetamol in a single day would still be considered a therapeutic dose, although ingesting the whole dose at once instead of in 4 divided doses tends to increase the risk of toxicity.

While liver damage is often cumulative, the human liver has greater regenerative capabilities than our other internal organs; and as I said, 2000 mg is still considered a therapeutic-level daily dose in Europe, and in the US it is even considered safe enough for a healthy human to use doses of up to 4000 mg/day.

So no, it seems fairly unlikely that you did major lasting damage to your liver, although it might not hurt to get a checkup just to make sure.
Should you decide to use/abuse codeine in the future, look into cold water extraction (CWE) techniques in order to separate the codeine from the paracetamol (or APAP as it is commonly referred to in the US); and as I am sure you are aware, opioids aren't really a viable long-term solution for depression.

Take care :)

No one here is going to flame you, we've all made mistakes. It's awesome that you've discovered the dangers of acetaminophen (APAP) on your own. Too many people don't care enough to do any research on the drugs they do, sometimes they can get away with it but many people injure or kill themselves. The fact that you care enough to do research makes you the furthest thing from stupid in my book.

^Hodor is right, 2000mg a day is probably not gonna cause any damage, at least not in the short term. Pain patients are on doses like that or higher for many years on end and are for the most part fine.

That being said, if you plan to continue your usage you should get familiar with cold water extractions. Cold water extractions (CWE) take advantage of the fact that opiates are much more soluble in cold water than APAP. This means you just dissolve the pills in cold water, then filter off the undissolved solid APAP gunk and keep the water. This method gets rid of 70+% of the APAP rendering the codeine, or other opioid, safe to use.

Good luck, stay safe.

I have been taking 2000mg at a time though so all in one go

i plan on stopping now the worry this has caused me has done nothing other than make me want to stop