• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids unusually long opiate high

sbellow2002

Greenlighter
OK so I have done hydrocodone and codeine many times and I have never felt anything like this. Recently I got some codeine and this is the first time i have done opiates in a while. But the weird thing is, I'll take 180 mg around 5:00 in the afternoon and still be high when i go to bed, but when I wake up I still feel it a lot! Like I'm not as high as I was the day before, but there still is a noticeable high. I know this isn't normal because no one that I see has experienced this. So any ideas on what's going on? Because that's like 14 hours of being high. And on codeine, like a weak opiate

Not sure about feeling it after a night's sleep, but I can tell you when I dose an opiate on an empty stomach and then ~45 min - 1 hr and eat a large or high fat meal, the effects of the opiate are definitely prolonged. I suspect the liver is busy with digestion thereby delaying the complete conversion of the drug.

You could have a mutation of the gene coding for the CYP2D6 enzyme, making you a slow metabolizer. That means that your body takes longer to metabolize the codeine into morphine.

Why would it just be happening if I had a mutation though? And it could be what fuhgeddaboudit said, but I hadn't eaten anything before or after taking it. I mean I like being able to be high for a pretty long time, it's just weird why that would happen. Its happened about 3 times in a row, it hasn't happened anytime before. This is the first time I have done codeine and not hydrocodone though. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Last edited:
Fat doesn't tie up your liver making opiate/oid digestion take longer, opiates/oids are fat soluble and therefore bind to fat to transfer themselves into your blood plasma. If you have a lot of fat in your stomach it gives the molecules more to cling to versus having little or no fat in your gut. Without the fat less of the opiate/oid makes it into your bloodstream, reducing the amount available to your receptors. As to why it seems to be happening now and not from the start is a mystery.

Oh OK, so basically you need to eat something or else it has nothing to actually go into your blood with? And I'm extremely skinny and lightweight too so I don't know if that has something to do with it. And yeah I'm not sure why, I did hydrocodone a ton and took like a 4 month break and then got some codeine and it never did it before I took the break. Only after when I got the codeine. Its very strange

Hydrocodone is active on its own while codeine needs to be metabolized to Morphine, so with said mutation you won't have a problem with hydrocodone, but the metabolism of codeine to morphine will be slowed down, so you are high longer.

Any possibility its extended release? Or not codeine?

- Hopeless Soul

Oh OK. So the genetic mutation would make sense, because it's only happened with codeine. thanks for the info. And yeah it wasnt anything else, the label says acetaminophen- cod #4.

If you have this mutation, you will have problems with a few drugs, like DXM and tramadol

Hmm that would make sense, I've done dxm 2 times, the first time I took like 450 mg and everything went how it was supposed to, but the second time I did it, I took about 250 mg around 5 in the afternoon and it didn't work like all day, so i decided to give up and went to bed around 12 then when I woke up, I was coming down from a trip I guess I slept through.

Would there be any possible way to counteract this? Like I know with nutmeg, you have to eat like black pepper and stuff so would there be any thing like that I could do to counteract it?

Oh, your story with the DXM negates my guess, if you have this mutation you would trip from a normal dosage and 450mg would make you trip for a few days.

Thats weird. I don't know why the dxm did that then. Maybe the second time I did dxm I got like slow release pills. I had to get a friend to buy them and all I told him was to only get dxm with nothing else, he could have possibly gotten slow release because he only gave me the pills, he didn't give me the box.

And no I tripped the normal amount of time from the dxm, if I tripped for a few days I would have been freaking out lol. So is there any other reason the codeine would do that? Because the genetic mutation makes sense with everything so far except for the dxm

And I had done tramadol once on a cruise, but it was right after I smoked weed so I didn't really feel anything from it, the next day I was still feeling weird but I figured it was sea sickness or something, but I didn't feel sick, it was actually kind of fun.

Idk, I think that's pretty normal for codeine. I use it for pain management and it can last close to a whole day, though I also take benzos nightly so maybe that potentiates it. Natural opiates generally last much longer than synthetics.