• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos unexplainable temazepam (restoril) tolerance...what could be going on?

MockingComplexity

Greenlighter
Hey guys,
I am brand new to bluelight, and this is my first post; I've read the guidelines, but please bear with me if I make any noob mistakes :p

I just got prescribed 15 mg temazepam (restoril) pills, and decided I would have a little bit of fun with them. I do not have any sort of benzo tolerance. I used the be prescribed ativan about 5 years ago but was only on it for about a month. I also got a prescription for xanax once about three years back, but have barely taken any of them. I still have over half of the 30 1 mg pills left from all those years ago. Maybe I will try to have some fun with those at a later point, we'll see. But, basically, I could not possibly have any benzo tolerance.

Tonight, I snorted half of a 15 mg capsule at 12:45 am, and snorted the other half about 7 minutes later. 12 minutes later, I felt nothing. I decided at 1:11 am to take another 15 mg capsule sublingually, bringing my total to 30 mg.

An hour later, at 2:11, I felt no change whatsoever after those 30 mg, so I snorted another 15 mg. Nearly forty minutes passed (it was 2:49), and I still felt nothing after 45 mg!!

I took another 15 mg capsule sublingually, bringing my total to 60 mg. I waited nearly 2.5 hours (from 2:49 am to 5:14 am), and still felt nothing. Determined to feel some sort of effect, I emptied two more 15 mg capsules under my toungue at the same time and let them dissolve.

It is currently 5:55 am--41 minutes since my last dose. Currently, I have taken 90 mg of temazepam, and feels absolutely nothing. I am completely coherent, clear headed, and feel like I could start writing a paper for school right now if I so chose--that's how completely normal I feel. I have NO reason to have a tolerance. I am a 21 year-old, 5'4", 130-something pound female with no previous benzo tolerance. I have taken non-benzo sleeping aids before, and do take adderall daily for legitimate ADHD reasons, but that had come down enough for it not to interact with the temazepam when I took it. 90 mg is a pretty hefty amount for someone with my minimal experience! I feel slightly sleepy, but that's probably due to the fact that it's 6:11 am and I am still awake. One thing I have noticed is that time seems to pass really, reeeeally fast. It only seemed like maybe 30 minutes has passed since it was 1:11 am and I was taking my first dose. But no effects on how my body feels. Does anybody know what's going on, or what I can do to make these drugs work? I am already taking them on an empty stomach, but even that isn't helping. Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks!

edit: I've since taken two more 15 mg capsules orally, bringing my total to 120 mg. Still no effect. *sigh*

edit 2: I took another 15 mg capsule of temazepam sublingually along with 10 mg of (generic) adderall (sublingually as well). I topped it off with snorting a 30 mg adderall xr with the beads crushed up just for good measure. So that's 135 mg of temazepam, 30 mg of adderall xr, and 10 my of regular adderall. Pleeeeee make a difference!...

edit 3: it's 8:11 am; wooah, time flies. Just snorted another 15 mg, bringing me to 150 mg of temazepam

Last edited:
We don't do swim here. It doesn't protect you. Please edit it out of your post.

Edit: are you sure you haven't been blacking out?

first off, don't use swim. second, benzo's aren't really fun drugs, what are you expecting to happen? thirdly, just swallow the pills

I don't know what I was expecting--but I was just expecting something to happen. To at least feel relaxed, maybe. I've read several posts about people having really nice experiences with benzos, and I guess I was looking for that...

I wasn't expecting to have my mind blown or anything, but I have read that it can produce some mild euphoria and calming effects.I also read that the pills are more effective sublingually. Like I said, I was just thrown off by how little I felt after a pretty hefty dose

Last edited:
We don't do swim here. It doesn't protect you. Please edit it out of your post.

Edit: are you sure you haven't been blacking out?

most definitely. I have carried on several skype conversations with friends and done some research for a philosophy paper. I am fully coherent.

Please edit your post rather than quadruple posting. Please read the BLUA you agreed to it when you registered here.

Please edit your post rather than quadruple posting. Please read the BLUA you agreed to it when you registered here.

I apologize; I am just learning the ropes.

edit: thanks for the forum etiquette tips; that being said, does anyone have any insight into the actual issue I brought up? Like, what could have contributed to my abnormal tolerance, or if I am doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Thats why you should read the rules =D

I did!! And they're not 100% clear about everything; an example being specifics like this about quadruple posting and what not. Unless I'm reading the wrong BLUA...I'm sorry I'm not perfect at posting, and I'll try harder from now on!! :) But could somebody please say something in response to my original post--despite how faulty my wording/posting style was in regards to the rules of this forum? It'll take a minute to get the hang of it, but I'm a quick learner. I'll re-read the rules; in the mean time, any actual insight to my question would be highly appreciated!!

What are your plans for today?

If you truly are not feeling anything try taking some of the xanax, or the ativan. See how that makes you feel. It's highly unlikely since it's scripted, but you could've got bulk pills. Did you get the brand name, or generic, because the FDA does allow a +- % on the generic from the actual strength of the brand name (I believe, may have changed).

Also, if you don't really know what a benzo high is like it's possible you're already feeling it, and just don't know. You don't want to end up blacking out after taking a ton though.

I don't have too many plans today; I can afford to spend part of the day feeling fuzzy if that's what ends up happening. I don't have any of the ativan anymore--that was prescribed about five years ago and any remnants have been lost over the years. The xanax I have is the generic alprazolam 1 mg. blue ovals, and they may have lost some potency from sitting in my drawer since 2009, I"m not sure. Unfortunately, I do not have them in my possession right now. They are at home in my apartment, and I am staying over at a friend's house out of town until Sunday. I will give that combo a try when I get back.
That's a good point, though--perhaps I am expecting too much. Judging by the amount I have taken, is this probably as good as it's going to get?

edit: the temazepam is generic as well

Probably it's the Adderall you're on that diminishes the effects of temazepam. Caffeine does that too.

I wouldn't recommend taking any more of it. I've had a bad experience with temazepam, when taking 100 mg < of it. It could affect your judgment in a bad way - just like alcohol does.

Last edited:
First of all, benzodiazepines can be subtle, especially for a first time user of a benzo. Second, snorting temazepam is a complete waste and taking pills that are meant to be swallowed sublingually will not work in a sublingual manner - you'll just end up swallowing some drug and wasting some other. These were your main problems, otherwise temazepam is an upper level hypnotic benzo with powerful sedative effects and a very high oral BA (96% ). Parachuting it would've been a much better option for you.

Temazepam builds up tolerance unbelievably quickly - but it doesn't build up tolerance in between doses on the same day. You basically just wasted a lot of drug by trying to sublingual it and especially by snorting it.

Plus, you were on Adderall which is a powerful psychostimulant and that in itself would negate any benzo effects.

What you did was waste a whole lot of temazepam, unfortunately.

I have a lot of experience with temazapam, been on it for some time, so as far as my experience goes snorting is useless for one thing, secondly I note a distinct difference in the quality of my temaz depending on the pharmacy I use, for me Rite Aid is the best & 30 mg orally has me feeling good vs 90mg from other pharamacy which seemingly has no effect. Not sure of the relevance as far as pharmacies go but just thought I'd throw it out there.