• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Ultram (Tramadol) for Opiate W/D?

Will01996

Bluelighter
Will Tramadol relieve opiate w/d?

Normal Day:

60 mg. Kadian (time release morphine)
40 mg. Oxy (instant release)

Will tramadol help in absence of above medication?
How much should the patient take?
Whats best method?

This is first experience with Tramadol. I tried a search of BL and got a lot of posts with little usable info.

Thanks!

Will01996 said:
Will Tramadol relieve opiate w/d?

Normal Day:

60 mg. Kadian (time release morphine)
40 mg. Oxy (instant release)

Will tramadol help in absence of above medication?
How much should the patient take?
Whats best method?

This is first experience with Tramadol. I tried a search of BL and got a lot of posts with little usable info.

Thanks!

Most likely YES. Even peeps who say Tramadol does nothing to get them high, usually say that is knocks out nearly every WD. Many consider it indispensable, and even more effective than Suboxone. In fact, a recent study shows that generic tramadol is more efficacious for acute opiate withdraw than buprenorphine. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/tandf/uaja/2006/00000015/00000002/art00011

Now, do be careful, and start low (just to make sure you tolerate the drug well). Most people do. And you should not mix tramadol with SSRI's, and a number of other drugs. So read up on its contraindications. But I would say that the answer is a resounding YES. Tramadol has enabled me to completely go off 10 Bag/day. I would cut down my dose by half a pill every 3 days. Still got some minor WD symptoms, (which is good, actually), but nothing a hot shower or a shot of brandy couldn't cure. Taper lasted 2 weeks, BTW, and was less painful than a buph taper/substitution. Tramadol appears to be a wonder drug for detox. And unlike buph, tramadol maintains the *potential* and ability to get some people really really high. Buph just won't do that. It always has a somewhat modest effect (nice for some, but always modest in every single post I have read). Buph is never full steam ahead, ever.

Of course try Tramadol. Also try dextromethorphan (A semi-Synthetic Narcotic). You can find Dextromethorphan (DXM) In cough syrup or cough gels. But make sure you buy a brand that contains only DXM as the active ingredient.

I found it's ok to dose DXM with tramadol, just as long as you take it about 4-6 hours later, and I'm speaking of high doses of tramadol, never had a problem tripping on DXM after taking tramadol, which I use today as a bupe substitute, but I'll have to stop someday and go back to naltrexone, but tramadol feels so damn good!.