• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)

I think the reason you all (and others) are waning a bit is because the UFC has gotten so big now. After buying Pride, WEC and Strikeforce then getting the Fox channel(s) contract the fights are on more frequently than before. The push to bring them into the mainstream has watered down the product some. Now, the possibility of bigger marketed fights are either buried on the new Fight Pass (Gustaffason KO'd Manuwa this weekend in London) or largely ignored (UFC 170 Rousey v McMann was a golden opportunity to capitalize on the Olympian aspect of that event). Maybe they will start scaling back for quality vs quantity sooner rather than later but for now it is UFC all the time.

UFC 171 was damn good. Highlights:

- OSP using a super rare Von Flue choke to win in 90 secs
- the ladies brought it again. Andrade is fiesty!
- bummer for Condit, that knee injury but dude has got a chin. He ate some hard right hands from Woodley and still kept coming in.
- Lombard, if dude gets some cardio he will kill every WW from now on. The way he was throwing Jake Shields around reminded me of Rousey v Tate in December
- Hendricks v Lawler, what a fight. Hendricks better learn to move his head better (or at all) going forward but his diversity of striking is nice to see. Lawler was just good, great TDD and good boxing but that last round he got jacked and couldnt recover in time to make up Hendricks' last flurry.

Dat Shogun nose
Shogun_Nose.jpg

from this H-bomb:
ddffdf.gif

This weekend!

Who you got?

Hoping for a Glover KO here, but picking Jones, Davis, Rockhold, Miller, Benavidez.

It's fight night! Really shouldn't fuck up my sleep schedule by staying up late to watch this (I'm in the UK) but going to fiind it hard not to.

My picks are the same as yours but I'm also hoping Glover ktfo bones.

I typically would be hoping for a Jones loss, but if he wins I get $80+. also have some bets on Phil Davis and Luke Rockhold.

Not really confident in Davis but I think he should get it done.

Couldn't have been further away on the Davis bet! The other two came through, but the odds must have been terrible.

i had them included in a parlay with previous events so I won $61. would have won over $100 if Davis won though.

Anthony Johnson is looking sharp, will be one to watch in the near future. Jones didn't impress, but the result was expected. Rockhold is also one to watch. Although the card might not have been the best of the year so far it definitely puts some names up there.

Jones didnt impress? He utterly dominated Texiera for 5 rounds. Glover looked as expected, not ready for a big time fight. That is what happens when you beat a bunch of fringe top 10 fighters on your way to a title shot. Now its going to get real, Gus-Jones 2.

It seems that Belfort woke Rockhold's game up because he has looked great since he got his head whacked by him. And I like Rumble's approach that he is not a top contender yet. Maybe training with the Blackzillions and Rashad Evans is paying off in more ways than the fight training.

How about Joe B's guillotine and forced foot tap out of Tim Elliot? That fight was less than one round but was awesome to watch.

To be honest I need to watch the fight again as I was totally wasted watching the first time around. Although he dominated, he did less so than his other fights (bar the Gustafsson fight).

Boetsch isn't a huge win for Rockhold, but he still looked great. LHW is getting interesting.

do people still watch ufc?
serious question here. wondering what the PPV buy rates are like, if they've gone up or down in the last 5 years

i used to watch it back when ufc and pride were still around / when fighters were only good at 1 thing and not so well-rounded like now

In the past 5 years I'm gonna guess that they've gone up but then back down some. They're having way too many events where it's simply too much to be paying for all these PPVs. They're starting now to have a ton of free events on FOX, FOX sports etc. which is cool though. But then they added this lame online Fight Pass thing where you gotta pay monthly for some weak events which is lame.

Brown v Silva on Saturday was such a good fight, especially the first round. Brown is on a roll (7 wins in a row) and should be in title contention in a win or 2 but the top of WW is stacked right now. But that 1st round Saturday definitely had Brown live up to his "Immortal" nickname. Epic.

cant believe Barao lost. I included him in all my parlays for that event where i was gonna win like $60 and then he gets destroyed. Only reason Dillashaw was even fighting for the title was because Raphael Assuncao was injured. thought it was a complete lock. definitely top 5 upset of all time.

^ Few champs get beat for 5 rounds like that and what made it even more interesting was Barao's long, long winning streak going away as well. I like Barao, but like Spider Silva learned, you have to keep evolving to remain a dominant force. And since the UFC will likely grant an immediate rematch (I dont like it, it should be Cruz v Barao, winner gets a title shot), I want TJ to win again to prove it wasnt a fluke. Just like when Weidman beating Silva 2x last year.

first ufc in awhile ive really been looking forward to.

Chris Weidman (c) vs. Lyoto Machida (Weidman by knockout)
Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Alexis Davis (should be easy armbar)
Stefan Struve vs. Matt Mitrione (potential upset for Mitrione but ive got a little more confidence in Struve)
Uriah Hall vs. Thiago Santos (Hall by sick knockout)
Marcus Brimage vs. Russell Doane (dont really know Doane so basing this off what I know of Brimage)
Urijah Faber vs. Alex Caceres (why is this fight even happening?)
Kenny Robertson vs. Ildemar Alcântara (KO knees pls. hopefully he can stuff the takedown)

The closest bar that has it is 16.03 miles away? Seriously? Given that I have a suspended license, I think I'll be streaming it instead. Which is okay, I just would have preferred seeing it live on a huge screen.

Weidman is a beast that was such an awesome fight but the rest of the fights were pretty weak. I wish Uriah Hall wouldnt have broken his toe so we could see how he'd really fight and then Struve fainting and having the fight cancelled sucked also.