• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Ulcerative Colitis and pills/mdma

jam uh weezy

Bluelighter
Hey everyone. I'm looking for any and all info anyone can provide on this condition in regards to MDMA and ecstacy pills. The only archived thread i could find about it won't open for some reason. I found this one too, where the poster mentions trying "X" after being dignosed, but it's not very informative.

My best friend has this condition and he says he can't take pills like opiates and other pharms because they will aggravate the symptoms. I would love for him to experience the effects of mdma, but would feel wholly responsible if any negative reactions occurred. He still drinks, even though he is not supposed to. I don't like to see him drinking, he may even be kind of hooked on booze.... I think mdma would help him out in this respect as well.

anyways i hope you guys can help me out here.

I can't add much, but my dad has ulcerative colitis and takes codeine for back pain, which is an opiate.

This is a really tough question. I doubt anybody here can give you a real awnser.

He should ask his doctor straightforward if the problem lies in the general effects of MDMA or if the problem is only stomach irritation from the chemicals. Cause if that's the case plugging might be the only solution.

Anyway, ask a doctor, seriously.

I (might, doctors are thinking it's this) have this exact condition and it has put me in the hospital recently twice due to peaking symptoms (AWFUL abdominal pain, violent vomiting, frequent diarrhea). However, both before and after said hospital visits I've taken opiate pills and also MDMA and never had an issue, even on an empty stomach.

I visited the hospital a couple weeks ago, and then 5 days later bombed MDMA. A couple days after that, went to the hospital again, however, I believe the MDMA honestly had nothing to do with my stomach issue. No nausea, stomach pain, or any issues at all while I was rolling, and I was rolling BALLS because I bombed on an empty stomach. I think he'll be ok.......key word....I THINK. I'm not a doctor.

Anyway, ask a doctor, seriously.

Thanks for the replies. :) Keep them coming if possible. yea i will tell him to talk to his doctor, but tbh I dont think that would go well haha...

Zzyzx do you know why that one archived thread I linked too won't show up? It shows up on google, even some of the text, but its just blank when i open it....

My dad has a severe form of this illness, and it's not something to be taken lightly. You can have severe problems if things do get worse, including significant bleeding.

Alcohol and caffeine are always advised against, so I don't imagine mdma would be recommended.

Here are some problems I see:
- dehydration: this is already a problem for people suffering from colitis because of diarrhea and such. dehydration is already a risk from using mdma, so this will be worsened. moreover, with colon inflammation, water isn't properly absorbed, so you will have unpleasant digestive side effects

- blood circulation: stimulants like mdma affect blood circulation and can intensify bleeding

- drug interactions: not sure what meds your friend is on, but this should be looked into. you may be on antibiotics, steroids, and anti inflammatories. with steroids, you're immune system response will be further lowered with mdma usage.

thats all i can think of off the top of my head, but i'm sure theres a lot more that could potentially go wrong.

Hey, just stumbled across this again looking for info myself.

Some slightly newer info:

I've been drinking and using MDMA with colitis for some time now and I don't think its had any massive effect (of course, people all react differently). I have also done LSD and cocaine with colitis without knowingly having had any adverse effects, at least nothing worse than an extra visit to the toilet the next day. I would warn however, that for at least a week (its still happening now) after swallowing a bomb of 2CB, the symptoms have been MUCH worse. I can't say if this is the fault of the 2CB or not, but be careful with it and please let me know if you've had a similar experience.

Also, PeterFile, this is very important. You must tell your dad that it is extremely dangerous to take Codeine if he has Colitis. Codeine, like many other opiates, paralyzes the bowel thus stopping the movement of fecal matter right at the bottom end. However, UC causes different parts of the bowel to forcefully push food matter along. The combination of these two effects, along with a generally weak intestinal lining can rupture the intestinal wall, which is potentially fatal. I'm no medical expert, but I have been strongly warned against the use of Codeine, Loperamide or other opiates/opiods used for any reason. Strangely, many doctors have prescribed me Codeine to treat the diarrhea without knowing how bad the effects could be.

and I do realise how annoying it must be to have back pain with UC. He should not be taking normal anti-inflammatories as they can make the colitis much worse; but I'm sure you've been told this already.

As others have said, have him talk to his doctor. His doctor is NEVER going to recommend he take any illegal drug, but he/she will tell him straight up what the risks are and if his condition would be severely affected by it.

Remember, you have doctor-patient confidentiality, meaning, he can't/won't alert the authorities unless you are doing something that could severely harm you or others (i.e. saying "hey doc, I bought 80 random ecstasy pills and split them with my 12 year old sister last night, is taking 40 pills each bad for us?") Asking a question about something you might do isn't illegal, and telling your doctor you did illegal drugs won't get the authorities alerted.

Just remember, you don't need to tell him everything (don't tell them when or where you plan on taking it, your doctor doesn't NEED to know that) just tell him what he needs to know in order to answer your question. I have x medical condition, how would MDMA affect it? That's pretty much all he needs to know.

Also, if he have a medical condition that causes dehydration and diarrhea, I'd suggest you have your friend try it at home rather than at a rave/club.

I missed this was a bumped thread - but heres what I could find

To answer this we would need to know what meds he is taking -

Ive just had a quick read on the standard treatment of this and this is what Ive found

mesalamine or sulfazine - no drug interaction

azathioprine - no interactions but if he is suffering from the nasty side effects of this I would wait until feeling better

6-mercaptopurine - hell no! (this sounds like one serious drug and mixing anything with it just sounds too risky)

prednisone - can lower the immune system so that added with MDMA could leave him susceptible to infections etc

methylprednisolone - mainly an antibiotic which should have no interaction with mdma.

Stress and worry also seem to be a trigger for an 'attack' if this is the case then please ensure that he knows that feeling a bit worried on the come up is 100% normal.

I hope that helps :)

Just to add to this, I've been having symptoms that seem to add up to ulcerative colitis (got more tests to come) for the past two weeks and they started the same day I took MDMA. I know that's not cause/effect proof but it's made me feel very nervous about taking it again...

Hi Jessica,

I've noticed you on other uc forums talking about taking mdma with 6mp and ulcerative colitis - any updates on how this affected you? (I also have uc)

in theory, chronic inflammatory diseases often have the tendency to flare up wildly, when the immune system is supressed for a while and then returns back to normal. and that's exactly what mdma does. the fact that cortisol levels can be lowered in the days/weeks after taking mdma. and if there is serotonin depletion, that probably doesn't help either.
but i suspect that it's complicated with colitis ulcerosa, because the causes for this disease are diverse, ranging from genetic to psychosomatic. if it's predominantly the latter then it's not impossible that an afterglow after a magical mdma experience would even have positive effects.

Last edited:
I just registered to add my 2 cents..

I was diagnosed with Colitis Ulcerosa in November 2014. At the time I had a flare up, which was put under control with prednisone + mesalazine. After that I've been taking azathiaprine + mesalazine as maintenance dose, and I've been in remission until the end of April 2015. Then I started having more stools per day, and on the 30th of April I went to a festival and took MDMA (from the afternoon till midnight three quarters of 240mg), and I have to say, that the following days I was completely wrecked. Stools 8 times a day were normal, lot of blood with the stools. So from my personal experience it seemed to kick the flare up and give it lots more momentum.

I'm anxious to try it out next time, I'm still in my flare-up now (quite a heavy one.. already 6 weeks in, starting prednison today again since budesonide doesn't work for me).
If you're a UC or Crohn's patient you know the pains of the stools and cramps so I would really not recommend to use it while in a flare-up or while you're not feeling great during a remission.

I hope that the inflammation for me can be put in remission quickly. Now that the festival season is starting, I would really like a party with MDMA, since I've also stopped drinking due to this disease. When I'm back in remission and feeling well, and there's a party coming up, I will use, and will report back the results.

I just registered to add my 2 cents..

I was diagnosed with Colitis Ulcerosa in November 2014. At the time I had a flare up, which was put under control with prednisone + mesalazine. After that I've been taking azathiaprine + mesalazine as maintenance dose, and I've been in remission until the end of April 2015. Then I started having more stools per day, and on the 30th of April I went to a festival and took MDMA (from the afternoon till midnight three quarters of 240mg), and I have to say, that the following days I was completely wrecked. Stools 8 times a day were normal, lot of blood with the stools. So from my personal experience it seemed to kick the flare up and give it lots more momentum.

I'm anxious to try it out next time, I'm still in my flare-up now (quite a heavy one.. already 6 weeks in, starting prednison today again since budesonide doesn't work for me).
If you're a UC or Crohn's patient you know the pains of the stools and cramps so I would really not recommend to use it while in a flare-up or while you're not feeling great during a remission.

I hope that the inflammation for me can be put in remission quickly. Now that the festival season is starting, I would really like a party with MDMA, since I've also stopped drinking due to this disease. When I'm back in remission and feeling well, and there's a party coming up, I will use, and will report back the results.

A very good friend of mine has Colitis and nowadays he is unable to take MDMA without suffering the same (bloody stools and feeling horrid)

He is able to roll on a good dose of 4-FA. No idea why that makes his symptoms flare up less though. Just be prepared to feel like shit if you do decide to take MDMA. I would advise agains it

It's a big judgement call to tell your doctor you're a drug user. UC might land you in need of surgery one day, and the last thing you need is a big red "DRUG USER" stamped on your file when you need medication in recovery.

My partner has UC. MDMA doesn't affect their condition as long as they remember to eat and hydrate.

The answer to the question is complicated and highly individualized. The tl;dr version is that it depends on what is causing the UC. If you don't know the root reason for the UC, then it's unsafe to take MDMA. The problem with knowing the root is that modern medicine claims the etiology of UC is unknown, which I've found to mostly be BS, but again it depends on the person.

Some people have UC due to gut flora problems. Some have it due to stress and mental health issues (similar to IBS, but way more severe). For others, the etiology is unknown.

I barely did MDMA at all in my 20's. My major use and abuse was when I was 18-19. Yet in my most recent long-term relationship, we did more MDMA than I did in my entire 20's combined, within a short period. Then that relationship had a major falling out that was traumatic, abusive, and *extremely* stressful. I believe it was that stress, combined with all the drug use, which primed my gut for my first flare.

IBD and IBS are not the same disease, but they have a relationship through the mind/gut/emotional systems of the body. A lot of people with IBD have comorbid mental health problems. Most of our neurotransmitters or their precursors are made in the gut by gut flora, which then release those chemistries into the blood stream where they flow to the brain. Even though I have no proof, I strongly suspect that MDMA use impacts this cycle more easily in people with IBD because these health systems are already impaired.

It's the chicken and the egg. Sometimes people develop flares from high stress or emotional situations. Other people start to get depressed because their gut starts to get run down. It can be either/or. There's preliminary evidence that people prone to IBS and IBD tend to store stress in their gut and can have cytokine (inflammatory) reactions there simply from emotional states, but modern medicine is slow on the uptake with this. My doctors actually tried telling me that there's no connection between diet and IBD, maybe because most MDs get very little training in nutrition. They also don't really support the mind/body connection, which is a pretty "duh" factor for most of us with IBD. Probiotics weren't mentioned either, and it was home made ferments that (literally) saved my ass. So... you'll have to do soul searching elsewhere and do some experimentation to figure out the origins of your disease. Modern medicine is looking more at the body's sensitivity to cortisone and adrenaline. In people with IBD, the gut is a lot more reactive to stress hormones than the average person, so the assumption is that emotional stress = stress hormones = inflammatory response.

This is true of the general population (which is why stress = shortened lifespan), but looking just at hormones sidesteps the emotional intelligence of the gut and how in some people with Inflammatory Bowel, the sensitivity level is naturally heightened. (These people tend to more sensitive empaths in general.) But somehow with IBD patients, stress response leads to a disproportionate release of TNF-a in the body, which the gut is hypersensitive to already, and flares result. Because most recreational drugs - especially the amphetamines - cause major endorphin release, they are an antagonizing factor for ANY kind of inflammatory illness (i.e. arthritis, psoriasis, IBD, chronic pain, etc.). My personal strong belief is that there's a pathogenic factor involved, like an occult infection by mycobacterium, but modern testing is so deficient in this area that it's hard to know for sure.

If you aren't flaring and your IBD is under control, you're still being risky by taking MDMA or anything that depletes neurotransmitters or causes downregulation. It won't just be the synapses in the brain which downregulate, but also the grey matter in the gut, around the heart, etc. When the gut downregulates, you can get depressed just as easily if not more so than if the brain downregulates. Depression and anxiety go hand in hand, which means a more long-term stress response, which means your gut gets bathed in all those stress hormones, putting you at risk for a flare. I've noticed that MDMA makes my gut problems worse -- I just didn't know I was in IBD territory until my first flare, which nearly killed me. I'd love to see a study done to see how much CRP and TNF-a are in the blood stream of regular MDMA users vs. non. I bet you anything MDMA users have more inflammation by default because of the stress it puts on the body during and post-use.

There's also a connection between the immune system, the gut, and these neurotransmitter levels. A lot of people suffer lowered immunity after each MDMA use, and I don't believe it's purely just that you didn't get enough rest or didn't eat well. There's something biochemical happening. Because IBD is auto-immune related, it's an additional reason why you must be extremely cautious with MDMA use.

If you ARE flaring, then doing recreational drugs in general is a fool's errand. MDMA does nothing for inflammation and would probably make it worse because of its sympathetic action. I've met some people with IBD who say that LSD and mushrooms help them, but that makes sense because both have anti-inflammatory properties. You're still risking down-regulation with something like LSD though, or any drug. I find I can't even smoke weed now without being hung over for days. When the gut is impaired you just don't have the neurochemical resource to spare anymore.

Last edited:
Most of our neurotransmitters or their precursors are made in the gut by gut flora, which then release those chemistries into the blood stream where they flow to the brain
no. the most important neurotransmitters are derivates of amino acids or amino acids themselves, which we can digest and absorb perfectly fine without the help of microorganisms. also if we took up the neurotransmitters into the blood stream they couldn't pass the blood brain barrier. serotonin from food doesn't get into the brain and neither does dopamine or glutamate (if it did, hard cheese would be highly neurotoxic)…
most of the neurotransmitters that aren't derivates of amino acids are peptides (chains of amino acids)

I'm going to subscribe to this thread, as I suffer with stage 4 endometriosis 21 years post removal of uterus/ovaries. I also have Inflammatory Bowel Disease with constipation. I have horrid internal inflammation and my body still "thinks" it's having period every month without a uterus...go figure.

I have a surgically altered stomach pouch that inhibits absorption of nutrients and meds. I am LIVING a fucking nightmare, trying to find a way to "manage" at least a bit of the pain. My PM has tried several opiates so far, including Fentanyl patch. I don't absorb the matrix patch style, so no luck. I'm currently prescribed Oxycodone, but realize this is not the route I choose to take.

I've never used recreational drugs and have only limited experience with pain meds post surgery, etc. Please be kind, as my life BITES already. I'd appreciate any suggestions within reason.