• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

[UK] "Ibuprofen more effective than morphine for broken bones"

Its a fair comment as its not just the analgesia, its the anti - inflammatory effect they provide. Morphine is justifiable for the acute pain but NSAID's such as ibuprofen and naproxen will get people better more quickly as a take home Rx.

The price is not that much of an issue either - a generic 200mg ibuprofen tablet costs the NHS just over 7pence each where as a generic 10mg morphine sulphate tablet costs just over 8 pence.

source for BNF prices - https://www.nice.org.uk/

I believe this, go look at the League table of analgesics, opioids alone are poor painkillers, NSAIDs are the king of the hill for inflammatory/trauma pain.

....in the longer term but for instant relief a decent shot of morphine for me please with a side order of ket and lorazepam

I wouldn't refuse the Ibuprofen but it's kind of like throwing a glass of water on a forest fire.
I'd be extremely angry if they didn't even give morphine as the initial pain relief.

....in the longer term but for instant relief a decent shot of morphine for me please with a side order of ket and lorazepam

I have broken bones during seizures before. Was given IV Lorazepam and IV Phenobarbital for the fit and then IV morphine immediately upon regaining consciousness. Thought for a minute I'd died and was in heaven.

so why when i smashed my elbow so it was beyond recognisable, was i given a morphine IV and not ibuprofen? i'm not being facetious i was still in shit loads of pain and laid there wanting to die til i lost consciousness so would have loved to have something more effective.

so why when i smashed my elbow so it was beyond recognisable, was i given a morphine IV and not ibuprofen? i'm not being facetious i was still in shit loads of pain and laid there wanting to die til i lost consciousness so would have loved to have something more effective.

Because the idea of taking ibuprofen for such severe pain is ludicrous (my point entirely). Seriously, how devastated would you have been if they just told you to take a couple Ibuprofen for it? They may as well tell you to fucking pray the pain away.

EDIT: Urg, I bet there actually are religious hospitals (probably in the US) who actually do that.

If that was me i wouldn't let them leave me with nothing id be pressing the buzzer every 2 seconds if i got broken bones thyre not gonna chuck me out anyway id have something in less than 10 minutes

IV ibuprofen and paracetamol are much, much more effective than popping a couple of pills and waiting for them to kick in.

Because the idea of taking ibuprofen for such severe pain is ludicrous (my point entirely). Seriously, how devastated would you have been if they just told you to take a couple Ibuprofen for it? They may as well tell you to fucking pray the pain away.

if they were genuinely the best, then i'd be happy with them. i tried to look up some research to back this up. could only find it in the case of children who've bone breaks were treated on an outpatient basis, not people requiring surgery to reconstruct what's left of their joints back together with lots of metal. and the recommendation was more to do with ibuprofen having fewer side effects, i couldn't see it saying that it was actually better at pain relief. i stopped looking after that so there might be evidence somewhere for this claim.

In all the times I've been to hospital for a broken bone (23 breaks to my name) I've received IV Morphine 5 times, all horrendous breaks, all the other times its be ibuprofen

I think if the person just dealing with the pain of a broken bone they go the ibuprofen option
if your in pain & freaking out because your humerus is poking through the skin that's when they dish out the morphine ime
you have to meet certain criteria before they start dishing out IV drugs

I think if the person just dealing with the pain of a broken bone they go the ibuprofen option
if your in pain & freaking out because your humerus is poking through the skin that's when they dish out the morphine ime
you have to meet certain criteria before they start dishing out IV drugs

I'm with wubb on this one.

All I know is the NHS suck, if you ever had access to a palliative care bag & see what is actually in there it is a joke, no fent etc!!!
All I know is if I was in horrific pain I'd want something a lot more potent than oralmorphine, the NHS are taking the piss imho.

If I ever break a bone again I'll be going on the deep web to order loads of Mogadon and Fentanyl.

If that was me i wouldn't let them leave me with nothing id be pressing the buzzer every 2 seconds if i got broken bones thyre not gonna chuck me out anyway id have something in less than 10 minutes

I'm starting to really see eye to eye with you.
I back this logic 100% of the way

I would have scoffed at this a week ago... however, I sustained 2 cracked ribs a few days ago and all I've had on hand is Ibuprofen and paracetamol.. amazingly, (I admittedly was taking more than the dosage suggested) the pain was hardly noticeable as I went about my day! I have a physical job and couldn't even raise my arms or get comfortable enough to sleep before taking Ibuprofen. It definitely numbed the pain immensely.
Obviously I wasn't given morphine for this pain so can't compare it's effectiveness against Ibuprofen, but I'd vouch for it based on my recent experience..
I was very surprised at just how well it worked for the pain.

The best thing ever for pain I've come across that makes heroin look like a bad joke is 4-MeO-PCP but I highly question the NHS will be giving that out.
I fell onto the ring on the cooker & my hand went right onto it as I was off my fucking nut & I never felt a thing till the next day when I came down & had a blister & burn marks the size of a coke can on my hand, a decent line of more MeO-PCP dealt with that though really quickly, heroin never even touched the pain.