Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Creamfields warning: PMA drug 'stronger than ecstasy'

edgarshade

Bluelighter
BBC News

26 August 2011 Last updated at 11:52

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-14660993

People heading to the annual Creamfields festival in Cheshire are being warned about the dangers of a new drug which is "stronger than ecstasy". Halton council's drug action team said Para-methoxyamphetamine (PMA), increases blood pressure, body temperature and pulse rate. They warned festivalgoers that dancing for long periods or excessive water drinking with the drug could be fatal. The Creamfields festival takes place in Daresbury on Saturday and Sunday.
'Affects the brain' A Liverpool man, Lee David Monaghan, 29, died from a fatal concentration of PMA in June.

A Halton drug action team spokesman said: "PMA is stronger than ecstasy so the risk of overheating is greater. If you feel your temperature "It can cause the body to release a hormone that suppresses urine production.

"This means that if you drink a few pints of liquid too quickly, water builds up in the body and interferes with your body's salt balance. "This can directly affect the brain and this can be as deadly as not drinking enough water. "Reduce the risks by remembering to sip no more than a pint of non-alcoholic fluid every hour."

A spokeswoman for Creamfields said: "We're urging all festival-goers to act responsibly, and we once again reinforce that Creamfields operates a strict 'no drugs' policy. "The health and safety of our customers is our main priority so if you do begin to feel unwell during the weekend please visit the medical team located within the welfare tent who will be there to help."

Cheshire Police, who will have officers on site over the weekend, are encouraging people to use amnesty bins that will be provided at entrances to the festival.soaring on the dance floor seek help immediately.

This is one mother of a misleading article. PMA isn't stronger than MDMA, it's just a lot more toxic. As it stands the article is practically an advert for PMA. I wish the BBC would seek other opinions to balance the article with when know-nothings start preaching dangerous harm escalating information like this.

It is stronger in terms of dosage, I wouldn't want to take more than 60mg of it. It also has a very steep dose-response curve, and I guess a pretty low therapeutic index, so putting it in pills is just a recipe for disaster. I don't know about toxicity, but I doubt it's that bad in reasonable doses.

If the health and safety of their customers really was their main priority they'd operate a safe drugs policy and set up pill testing stations and encourage everyone to use them. But I guess that's not possible...

I hope people i know who are going are okay..
Big events like that are usually an easy way to get rid of bad pills

Isn't PMA the stuff that you when you take 2, nothing happens for an hour so you take another 2 & wait another hour.

Then all of a sudden your fucking cooking from the inside?

If so, WTF is it doing being sold on the streets?

Its been in a few pills.
Also PMMA is in some of them too.

It mimics the effects of mdma at the start then it turns into a different ball game.
I read a story on Erowid, some guy in a group , and he met some others at a house party or something and they were all doing drugs then he see one of the pills they consumed (After the party this is) identified as PMA.

One of the women got really really hot and they just kept pouring buckets of cold water over her but she was okay then, she was one who took one.

The key to PMA is, although its named as "dr death" and i dont personally think it should be Purposefully taken, if more than one is consumed is where the Absolute for certain danger that death is apparant.

I think the come-up was pretty quick, 30 min or so. It was several years ago though, so maybe I don't remember well enough. It got intense really quick though, at around 60mg it was like suddenly peaking on a good dose of MDMA and it wore off quite quickly too, no more than 3-4h total. And I didn't cook :) Actually no problem with it at all, though I was caught a little off-guard by the speed and intensity of the come up. At lower doses (25-40mg) it's quite a nice stimulant.

The key really is the dose, I can imagine 100+mg would be extremely uncomfortable/possibly fatal. In pills it's probably best just to avoid it, but if you really want to try you could probably grind a few up and weigh the powder, taking gradually increasing amounts (on separate occasions) and starting with the equivalent of a quarter of a pill or less. So not something anyone should be doing at a party/festival.

and starting with the equivalent of a quarter of a pill or less.

Makes sense,
but i did hear on another forums, there was a guy who liked taking PMA and one time he took it, it finished him off, its still dangerous

I've heard just awful things about PMA. The people in charge of that market seem greedy but this sort of greed isn't even safe greed, its causing a lot of people to have a bad time and I think that is messed up, really messed up.

Cheshire Police, who will have officers on site over the weekend, are encouraging people to use amnesty bins that will be provided at entrances to the festival.

oh fuck off cheshire police you really are cunts? How about they release an article with the pill logo and pictures of the pill with the PMMA in them instead of just being idiots, people who go to buy and consume pills are still going to do so anyway. If you wanted to issue some warning then atleast do it instead of just scaremongering.

oh fuck off cheshire police you really are cunts? How about they release an article with the pill logo and pictures of the pill with the PMMA in them instead of just being idiots, people who go to buy and consume pills are still going to do so anyway. If you wanted to issue some warning then atleast do it instead of just scaremongering.

yes exactly this,, With correct pill identification ... many lives could be saved.

Its so stupid to just have scare tactics ... thats stupid

This means that if you drink a few pints of liquid too quickly, water builds up in the body and interferes with your body's salt balance.
Just take with you a bag of crisps while ya dance XO