• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Teen Dies After Doing TikTok ‘Benadryl Challenge’ As Doctors Warn Of Dangers

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Teen Dies After Doing TikTok ‘Benadryl Challenge’ As Doctors Warn Of Dangers
Victoria Forster
Forbes
September 2nd, 2020
A 15-year old girl from Oklahoma has reportedly died after taking an excessive amount of the anti-allergy medication Benadryl as part of a challenge on social media app TikTok.

The challenge involves TikTok users daring each other to take large amounts of the medication, which is usually taken to relieve allergy symptoms from conditions like hayfever. However when taken in excessive quantities, the drug also known as diphenhydramine can cause a wealth of unpleasant and dangerous side effects, some of which can be fatal.

“Benadryl in large doses can cause seizures and cardiac arrests. If young people are being encouraged to take it in large doses on TikTok, this is very dangerous,” said David Juurlink, MD, head of the division of clinical pharmacology and toxicology at the University of Toronto in Canada. “This is not a drug people should be experimenting with,” Juurlink added.

Juurlink says that people who overdose on the drug can experience a range of symptoms including sleepiness or coma, confusion, agitation, blurred vision, dry eyes and mouth, constipation and the inability to sweat and pass urine, describing it as the “[expletive] buzz imaginable.”

Back in May, three teens from Texas were treated at Cook’s Children’s Hospital after also overdosing on the drug, one of them, a fourteen year old, reportedly taking 14 pills at once.
Read the full story here.

God people are stupid. I mean, I'd say "kids are stupid", which they are, I was an idiot when I was 15, but to be fair most adults aren't much better.

Sad.
What in the fuck is wrong with kids nowadays?
Were we equally this fucking retarded in our youth? I like to think not. I mean, I did/do a lot of really dumb shit but kids in this day need to be stoppes from procreating.

Sad.
What in the fuck is wrong with kids nowadays?
Were we equally this fucking retarded in our youth? I like to think not. I mean, I did/do a lot of really dumb shit but kids in this day need to be stoppes from procreating.

Yea sorry no but we absolutely were ;)

It's just we didn't broadcast it on the internet,

It's just we didn't broadcast it on the internet,
True, but we sure as fuck weren't eating tide pods and chompin down fucking BENADRYL to impress each other........we did other dangerous things that could easily have caused great bodily harm and or death but thats beside the point

True, but we sure as fuck weren't eating tide pods and chompin down fucking BENADRYL to impress each other........we did other dangerous things that could easily have caused great bodily harm and or death but thats beside the point

Strange, I recall plenty of people doing dumb shit to impress others when I was a teenager in the early 00s. We were idiots too and did stupid things for stupid reasons. It's the teenage way.

It's just we didn't film it.

It'll be different for this generation cause they'll be able to look back a lot clearer at how stupid they used to be.

The "Benadryl Challenge" has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard of in a long time. That said, I, like most kids with an interest in literally anything psychoactive, did eat some really high doses of diphenhydramine, just to get high, never as a challenge to impress other dumbasses...

The "Benadryl Challenge" has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard of in a long time. That said, I, like most kids with an interest in literally anything psychoactive, did eat some really high doses of diphenhydramine, just to get high, never as a challenge to impress other dumbasses...

I honestly feel like that's a vastly better reason to take it because then at least you know what it's going to do and what the possible risks are. I've done it too of course lol but that's because I read about it here first and thought "that could be interesting", instead of seeing a dumbass Tiktok challenge and wanting attention and doing something blindly for it.

I find it hard to feel sorry for those people. Can't wait to see a crack cocaine challenge lmao I'd watch that.

Maybe kids are too bored. That's so sad. Maybe if they studied science more we could all get some advanced interesting results.

lol.

Need to plant more trees and learn from the animals ( and nature ). Advance from darwinism and grow more brain cells. Somehow. That's awful and sounds like deprivation and dysfunction and need of more guidance.

Kids dont realise sometimes that things can be harmful and unhealthy. it's not even entertaining and seems just plain dumb.

Stupidity needs to end in 2020.

Makes you wonder how long they are going to live or if they even know what they are doing.

I honestly feel like that's a vastly better reason to take it because then at least you know what it's going to do and what the possible risks are. I've done it too of course lol but that's because I read about it here first and thought "that could be interesting", instead of seeing a dumbass Tiktok challenge and wanting attention and doing something blindly for it.

I find it hard to feel sorry for those people. Can't wait to see a crack cocaine challenge lmao I'd watch that.
Maybe they can see how long it takes to ween.
Do they seem to go into withdrawal. Maybe psychiatric meds can be documented. I think everyone just likes to do too much of everything excessively and kids just learn to be like that.

Granted, I did some dumb things when I was that age. However, even when I was 15-16, I wouldn't have taken an overdose of an OTC deliriant because of some stupid online trend. I honestly think that the human race has started to "evolve" backwards in recent years. Today's generation simply seems less intelligent overall than previous ones. I think that evolution began going in the wrong direction back when the internet and computer technology became mainstream.

Granted, I did some dumb things when I was that age. However, even when I was 15-16, I wouldn't have taken an overdose of an OTC deliriant because of some stupid online trend. I honestly think that the human race has started to "evolve" backwards in recent years. Today's generation simply seems less intelligent overall than previous ones. I think that evolution began going in the wrong direction back when the internet and computer technology became mainstream.

Humankind's seriously backward evolution started in the 90's when "reality tv" became a thing; and we've gone so far backwards that we "elected" a fucking reality tv star lol

Sad story. Kids will be stupid, I sure was...

For some reason I assumed benadryl/dxm was kinda a 20 years ago type of thing.

14 pills? Assuming the standard 25mg dose that's only 350.

I had taken 600mg+ doses twice around his age.

Never touched another deliriant since. Evil drugs they are, and often for the desperate.

Diphenhydramine was one of my first recreational drugs, when I was 17. I took something like 700 mg trying to see spiders that weren't there and it barely even made me sleepy. I never tried a deliriant again after that. Probably for the best.

I think technology is to blame for much of our intellectual and mental health issues. Now that we're constantly connected to everyone and all information via the internet nobody really has to know or care about shit anymore. I was the last generation of younger people to remember a small window of time before all that and have a frame of reference, also my family was super old school even when it picked up. I feel bad for kids who can only filter attention, friendship, and interaction through the fucked up realm of the internet. It makes for some dumb and/or sad individuals. I don't have much room to talk, but I'm fucked up in the old fashioned way lol.

Last edited:
stupid people win the Darwin award. Benadryl is quite restricted here now fucking hard to get decent amounts of dxm aswell. IDK how hard it is for kids to get benadryl in america but here it would be a fucking mission you need to get a referral from a doctor and only then you get like 4 pills.

social media has raised a generations of idiots worse such a plague on the internet. See that trend of girls spraying deodorant in their mouths and lighting it on fire fuck stupidity has no bounds. Why cant they just go explore outdoors and make swings or something or do crazy bike stunts like we did back in the 90s a few broken arms here and there among us but much more productive than sitting on tiktok.