• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Outbreak of vaping-related illness and deaths

It will be interesting to see what the details of this situation are. Frankly, with the Wild-West that is the current e-cigarette market, it wouldn't be surprising if there were some brands that have some really terrible stuff in them. The FDA would be best off approving these as medical devices on a case-by-case basis. I'd be willing to bet that this person, if their death was actually caused by e-cigarette use, wasn't using, for example, a Juul device.

But it'd not the act of vaping, it's what was being vaped am I right?

we would only HOPE ?

i guess some of the batteries do explode in the e - cigarettes.
how terrible and how bizarre. omylol.seriuosly, what next.

It could be excessive/chronic/around the clock vaporization of e-liquids could have caused his death due to immune suppression, infection, etc. It is my understanding some drugs of abuse (but not all) may inadvertently suppress the immune system to "whatever degree". I'm not a big, big believer in that, but I do believe in science and I believe it's been thoroughly studied.

I saw this on the news last night and they talking about all kinds of shit these things are causing.
gonna grab my bowl and ponder upon it... knew it wouldnt be long... how can one vaporize oil in HUGE clouds (regardless of content) and not expect some BS?
we all gotta pay to play.

^^^ like that guy from Liberty Under Attack

but i still like the old cheech and chong guys

looks almost as bad as that las vegas suite tryin to smoke the planet

yeah

that was good, i guess

yeah, they probably look dumb to cheeck and chong even

"Late last month, the 18-year-old student athlete in Gurnee, Illinois, was hospitalized after using e-cigarettes for more than a year and a half. Now his lungs are similar to those of a 70-year-old adult, doctors told him."

Terrible :/ He mentions the THC vape (a cartidge maybe) as the main reason for his problem. I stopped using these cartidges after one day I felt vaping one was hurting my lungs. Its worth mentioning these thc vapes lack a main component of bud, which is the effect of peace which comes with being baked. With these vapes it just seems to me like you get high, but its a clean high, never a full on bake with psychedelic mind alteration and full body buzz. Anyway with so many cases its safe to say avoid these. My friend is a smart dude, he stopped dealing thc vapes a while ago, said he didnt want to deal a shitty product✌amen

Terrible :/ He mentions the THC vape (a cartidge maybe) as the main reason for his problem. I stopped using these cartidges after one day I felt vaping one was hurting my lungs. Its worth mentioning these thc vapes lack a main component of bud, which is the effect of peace which comes with being baked. With these vapes it just seems to me like you get high, but its a clean high, never a full on bake with psychedelic mind alteration and full body buzz. Anyway with so many cases its safe to say avoid these. My friend is a smart dude, he stopped dealing thc vapes a while ago, said he didnt want to deal a shitty product✌amen

There have been allegations of some makers of fake carts spicing up their product with synthetic cannabis.
That being said, there is no difference between a properly produced vape juice in a properly working unit and other means of vaping cannabis, as far as we know.

I remember reading that they develop a sickness called "Lipoid pneumonia". You can get some more info about it in the attachment.

Attachments

• Lipoid Pneumonia.pdf
    255.7 KB · Views: 5
What's behind a vaping illness outbreak in the US?
BBC
September 11th, 2019
...Health investigators in the US are trying to establish whether a particular toxin or substance is behind the outbreak, or whether it's the result of heavy usage.

One of the theories is that a bad ingredient could have been added to vaping liquids including marijuana products - which are legally available in some US states - namely Vitamin E.

Last week, the New York State health department started investigating Vitamin E, calling it a "key focus" of their studies after 34 people became ill in the state.

However, the FDA have not settled on Vitamin E as the cause and won't rule out other vaping liquid chemicals.

There is also suspicion about "thickeners" that have been added to vaping liquids used in e-cigarettes and vaporisers.
Read the full story here.

It sounds more and more like this is not an intrinsic issue with vaping but an issue with the complete lack of regulation of the market in the U.S.

So after reading multiple news reports about this it's beginning to look like the only commonality is vitamin e acetate. I did some research and thinking and I think it's possible that because vitamin-e is a lipid-soluble vitamin and our lungs absorb only water-soluble compounds that pherhaps the severe reactions and health problems is being caused by coating the lungs with essentially an oil/fat and the lungs not being able to break down this film/coating effectively. I imagine that there's also very little if any of the enzyme responsible for converting vitamin e into a water-soluble form which is then absorbed by our body and the health effects of smoking plant fats or any lipids is well documented. Could the reactions like difficulty breathing be due to the lungs not getting enough oxygen because the mucuous membrane is coated in an oil and the severe coughing and spasms could simply be our bodys attempt to displace and remove this contaminant?

Vitamin e acetate could have been chosen for these products for it's preservative and anti-microbial effects much in a way that it is used as a natural preservative in food products. Maybe some idiots overlooked the fact you can't absorb lipids through the lungs for the same reason you can't snort kief from cannabis and get high?

Would love to hear people's thoughts on this recent development and their theories on what is causing such severe reactions.

have you ever blown out the vapour into a bottle and watched how much settles?

when i did that i knew it wasn't good for my lungs

plus look into how these glycols are broken down by the liver- no-one is worried about their liver but i would be

Opinion: Let’s clear the air: Vaping holds great promise for smokers
Mark Tyndall
The Globe and Mail
October 3rd, 2019
Mark Tyndall is a physician and researcher, specializing in infectious diseases, addiction and harm reduction. He is a professor at the School of Population and Public Health, University of British Columbia
The outbreak of vaping-related lung disease among youth in the United States, along with a recent case in London, Ont., has sparked calls for new regulations designed to protect our youth from vaping. These calls have ranged from placing tighter restrictions on youth advertising all the way to banning the sales of e-cigarettes completely.

While we await the completion of the investigations around the cases of respiratory disease, it is becoming clear that the majority of the cases are linked to vaping bootleg liquids, many containing THC oil – the active ingredient in marijuana.

While the use of commercially available nicotine-containing vaping products could possibly cause acute lung injury, it is difficult to understand why this is happening now when vaping has been popular with youth for several years. Something has clearly changed, and the best explanation would be contaminated or newly introduced non-commercial products being distributed in specific geographic areas.

This makes the case for tighter regulations even more urgent. Regulation is a way to ensure that people are getting the best possible products – high quality devices and e-liquids. Further, as we strengthen regulations the warnings for e-cigarettes should be based on facts and the information that we do know.
Read the full story here.