• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Opioid alternative? Taming a pufferfish toxin for precise painkilling

In seriousness, I think I'd rather die than be taken off my opioids. I have three forms of chronic pain and the pain alone means I'm bed-ridden with any other type of painkiller (although, naproxen is very good for the degenerative arthritis in me knee(s)). Plus I have an unbearable amount of mental pain - far exceeding any physical pain - which opiates mask nicely but "alternative" meds/options don't do shit for.

Depends what the universe made first I suppose. If plants and insects came first, then we may have been designed to take advantage of the compounds within them.

If we only use 10–20% of brain capacity, what other receptors are waiting to be agonised by plants we have not yet found or used. Hmmm one wonders ????

In seriousness, I think I'd rather die than be taken off my opioids. I have three forms of chronic pain and the pain alone means I'm bed-ridden with any other type of painkiller (although, naproxen is very good for the degenerative arthritis in me knee(s)). Plus I have an unbearable amount of mental pain - far exceeding any physical pain - which opiates mask nicely but "alternative" meds/options don't do shit for.

I think that’s where we get in trouble, treating our emotional pain. We know it’s better than SSRI’s or even benzos or mood stabilisers. I am happy to be addicted to something that helps me partake in society and feel enjoyment in normal day to day activities!!

Depends what the universe made first I suppose. If plants and insects came first, then we may have been designed to take advantage of the compounds within them.

If we only use 10–20% of brain capacity, what other receptors are waiting to be agonised by plants we have not yet found or used. Hmmm one wonders ????

So it's the same situation as who got laid first: the chicken or the egg? (I think the chicken...very slutty animals)

^I think I have cola-nergetic receptors. I swear Coke Zero gets me high. I drink 8-12 cans every day and honest-to-God *panic* if I run out.

I think that’s where we get in trouble, treating our emotional pain. We know it’s better than SSRI’s or even benzos or mood stabilisers. I am happy to be addicted to something that helps me partake in society and feel enjoyment in normal day to day activities!!

I'm addicted to anti-depressants, mood-stablizers and sedatives, too. Nothing gives me a feeling of wellbeing like high-dose opiates, though.

There's the neuropeptide S receptor, which provokes dopamine release and for which there is no known exogenous agonist... Maybe that one, lol... :)

Colanergic compounds for cola receptors love that @ChemicallyEnhanced. I must enjoy Hariboergic compounds to satisfy my Haribo receptors then ????

I shall look that up @polymath, but yes especially in the Oceans I think, there will be some crazy chemicals hiding down there I bet.

Colanergic compounds for cola receptors love that @ChemicallyEnhanced. I must enjoy Hariboergic compounds to satisfy my Haribo receptors then ????

I shall look that up @polymath, but yes especially in the Oceans I think, there will be some crazy chemicals hiding down there I bet.

Wow, I bet there are! All the megalodons tripping balls on natural drugs from the bottom of the ocean :D
The really good stuff if probably guarded by Cthulu or something, though.

We didnt evolve to take drugs, the plants slowly evolved drugs to hijack animal receptors.

Animals can move and fight if the going gets tough. Plants while being self sufficient for food make up for their lack of brawn by being some of the most accomplished synthetic chemists in nature.

Anyway remember evolution is not a process of optimization- there are so many examples of "good enough" and labyrinthine fixes for relatively simple problems.

There is no intent with evolution/natural selection.

Antidepressants, especially the first generation tricyclics have efficacy as atypical analgesics and potentiators of narcotics, but I cannot think of a single one which could measure up to, for example. dextropropoxyphene by itself . . . there is also a lot said about Cymbalta and other newer antidepressants as potentiators, but that is hit and miss and it is reprehensible for physicians and others to try to palm them off a centrally-acting analgesics with efficacy of their own . . . sort of like the current cannabis situation. They do their job fine -- people do not have to lie about it . . .

i'm actually on a TCA (amitryptiline) for pain. Its hard to tell if it works, i think it does. but since its not something that works instantly its just not suitable for breakthrough or fluctuating pain. TCAs may help raise the baseline for discomfort from pain...but they don't treat severe or acute pain. they just aren't strong enough analgesically