Writing-up [U.S.] Complete a Survey on Opioid Use for $15 Amazon Gift Card!

poetgmu

Greenlighter
Hi Everyone!

We invite you to participate in a one-time anonymous survey to help us better understand risk-factors of opioid overdoses. In order to participate, you must be 18 years or older, living in the United States, and have misused opioids in the past 30 days or currently receiving medication for opioid use. The survey will take approximately 15-30 minutes to complete. If you are interested in participating, please message us directly to receive a link to our pre-screener followed by a consent document (if you are eligible). You may exit the consent process or survey at any time by closing the browser tab. If you complete and submit the survey, you will be eligible to receive a $15 Amazon digital gift card. Thank you for your consideration.

This study has received full ethical approval from the George Mason University Institutional Review Board (#1704651-1).

Stefanie Goncalves
Graduate Student
George Mason University

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

We invite you to participate in a one-time anonymous survey to help us better understand risk-factors of opioid overdoses. In order to participate, you must be 18 years or older, living in the United States, and have used opioids (not prescribed, or used more than prescribed) in the past 30 days or currently in treatment and receiving medication for opioid use. The survey will take approximately 15-30 minutes to complete. If you are interested in participating, please click on the link below to complete a pre-screener followed by a consent document (if you are eligible). You may exit the consent process or survey at any time by closing the browser tab. If you complete and submit the survey, you will be eligible to receive a $15 Amazon digital gift card. Thank you for your consideration.

Stefanie Goncalves
Graduate Student
George Mason University

IRB 1704651-1
Hey Stefanie, warm welcome to bluelight! Could you please include and edit in the ethical approval in your OP.

Best of luck with the survey!

Hi everyone. I just wanted to save the informed consent info here as it contains further details about the research team and approach for our archives. Thanks.

INFORMED CONSENT FORM

RESEARCH PROCEDURES
This research is being conducted to understand how individuals who misuse opioids (e.g., taking more than prescribed, buying off of the street) experience the healthcare system. If you agree to participate, you will be asked to complete a one-time survey on your computer or mobile phone. The survey will ask questions about opioid use, medical and psychological treatment for opioid use, and psychosocial functioning. The questionnaire will take approximately 15-30 minutes to complete. The information gathered will only be used for research purposes.

RISKS
The foreseeable risks or discomforts include feeling some slight distress when completing the survey since it includes questions about drug use and mental health. If you are in distress, you can contact the SAMSHA national helpline (1-800-662-HELP (4357 or TTY: 1-800-487-4889).

BENEFITS
There are no direct benefits to you as a participant. However, this research will further our understanding of how individuals who use opioids work with healthcare providers. This knowledge can be used to improve health outcomes for individuals that use opioids.

CONFIDENTIALITY
The data in this study will be confidential. All survey responses will be stored in a secure database. This includes any personally identifiable information. Only the members of the research team will have access to the database. The de-identified data could be used for future research without additional consent from participants. The Institutional Review Board (IRB) committee that monitors research on human subjects may inspect study records during internal auditing procedures and are required to keep all information confidential. While it is understood that no computer transmission can be perfectly secure, reasonable efforts will be made to protect the confidentiality of your transmission.

PARTICIPATION
You must be 18 years or older and living in the United States (U.S.) to participate. You must have misused opioids in the past 30 days or currently in treatment and receiving medication for opioid use. In addition, you must be able to read and write in English. Your participation is voluntary, and you may withdraw from the study at any time and for any reason. If you decide not to participate or if you withdraw from the study, there is no penalty or loss of benefits to which you are otherwise entitled. There are no costs to you or any other party.

COMPENSATION
If you complete and submit the survey, you will be eligible to receive a $15 Amazon digital gift card. Under the U.S. federal tax law you may have individual responsibilities for disclosing the dollar value of the incentive received on this study.

CONTACT
This research is being conducted by Dr. Siddhartha Sikdar, a professor in the Bioengineering Department at George Mason University. He may be reached at 703-993-1539 and [email protected] for questions or to report a research-related problem. You may contact the George Mason University Institutional Review Board office at 703-993-4121 or [email protected] if you have questions or comments regarding your rights as a participant in the research. Please refer to IRBNet number 1704651-1 if you need to contact the George Mason University Institutional Review Board office.
This research has been reviewed according to George Mason University procedures governing your participation in this research.

CONSENT
I have read this form, all of my questions have been answered by the research staff, and I agree to participate in this study.

Hey Everyone!

Due to issues with bots, if you are interested in taking the survey please message me privately and I will get you the link.

Thanks so much!
Stefanie

Hey Everyone!

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far! I want to clarify a quick point. You will NOT be entered into a lottery for an Amazon gift card. If you complete the survey (and you aren't a bot or similar), you will get the Amazon gift card emailed to you within 2 weeks. Again, no lottery. All you have to do is send me a message saying "I'm interested, can I get a survey link?" and complete the survey.

Hopefully that clarifies things.

-Stefanie

Hey Everyone!

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far! I want to clarify a quick point. You will NOT be entered into a lottery for an Amazon gift card. If you complete the survey (and you aren't a bot or similar), you will get the Amazon gift card emailed to you within 2 weeks. Again, no lottery. All you have to do is send me a message saying "I'm interested, can I get a survey link?" and complete the survey.

Hopefully that clarifies things.

-Stefanie
That's tough that you've had a lot of issues with fraudulent responders. I'm interested in whether you've been able to get legit responses using the above method. Best of luck with it.

@MsDiz! I've been away for a little bit, but nope--no closing date yet. May be in a month or so.

@Tronica! I am getting much less interest, but it all seems mostly legitimate respondents. So this new approach is worth it :) Happy to discuss more via PM if you are interested.

Thanks all!