• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - As Juul grapples with teen vaping ‘epidemic,’ CEO tells parents ‘I’m sorry’

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
As Juul grapples with teen vaping ‘epidemic,’ CEO tells parents ‘I’m sorry’
Angelica LaVito
CNBC
July 13th, 2019
Kevin Burns, CEO of Juul Labs ⁠— the maker of the bestselling e-cigarette in the U.S. and center of federal regulators’ crackdown into what they’re calling a teen vaping “epidemic” ⁠— has a message for parents whose children are addicted to his company’s products: “I’m sorry.”

Since launching in 2015, Juul has quickly come to dominate the e-cigarette industry with roughly 40% of the market, becoming such a dominant player that Altria, the top U.S. cigarette company, invested $12.8 billion for a 35% stake in the San Francisco-based start-up. But the company has a problem: Its vapes are incredibly popular with teenagers.

The Food and Drug Administration has declared teen vaping an “epidemic,” citing federal survey data that showed nearly 21% of high school students vaped last year. Former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb and health care advocates blame the surge in teen vaping on Juul.

CNBC’s Carl Quintanilla interviewed Burns for a documentary, “Vaporized: America’s E-cigarette Addiction,” which premiers Monday at 10 p.m. ET. Quintanilla, who toured one of Juul’s manufacturing facilities in Wisconsin with Burns, asked him what he would say to a parent with a child who was addicted to Juul.

Despite the unknowns, some researchers say e-cigarettes could help the U.S.′ 34.3 million smokers. Regulators in the U.K. are actively encouraging smokers to give up their cigarettes in favor of e-cigarettes, while the debate in the U.S. proves far more contentious.
Read the full story here.

wonder what is considered "vaped in the last year." does taking a single hit off your friend's vape pen count? if so, surprised it's only 21 percent (not that i filled these surveys out accurately as a teen). if that means had or have a vape habit, sad. either way, i'm sure it's a real problem.

sidewalk in chicago is littered with empty juul pods. and little colored plastic sleeves that must be part of the packaging. cigarette butts can't be thrown away in a regular trash can without some effort, but why the fuck throw your plastic juul pod on the ground. there's a trash can on every block. not saying it's okay to litter a cigarette butt -- disgusting -- but throwing a juul pod on the ground with a trash can yards away is mind boggling.

Those surveys are worthless but I don't doubt they are popular