• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tylenol with Codeine

blue comet

Bluelighter
I have a script of this due to severe nerve pain I have. Tylenol 3 (30mg)

Pretty weak stuff to be honest. Not doing a whole lot for the pain. Anyway I can heighten the effect of it?

I haven't found anything that has been really effective, but you could try a CYP2D6/7 inducer like a Glucocorticoids or St. Johns Wort preferably taken on an empty stomach to potentiate that dose.

Honestly, I don't think that there's anything that will truly make your body convert the codeine into more morphine than usual.

Some claim that grapefruit juice or promethazine makes it stronger, but in my experience it just makes the experience feel a little different and shortens its duration.

You could double your dose to increase effect but talk to your doctor first. Perhaps see if you can get a stronger med. IIRC, 30mg of codeine is equals to about 5mg of hydrocodone. Codeine is among the weakest opiates.

Are you aware of the monkey you could possibly have on your back if you keep using opiates for prolonged periods?

grapefruit juice will intensify benzos never heard of it intensifying codeine
tylenol with codeine is more for a headache than any type of real pain well imo anyway

Yes I'm aware of the problems with long term opiates and I want to be careful. I was terrible nerve pain from gabapentin withdrawal so I'm in between a rock and a hard place.

How, realistically, can I dose thing without running into the risk of dependency and withdrawal? Right now I'm given three pills per day (one every 8 hours) but realistically need two to really feel anything.

There's really no way to prevent dependence to opiates as long as you're using them.

Take them as prescribed. Taking a break every once in a while works. There's anecdotal evidence suggesting that therapeutic doses of Dextromethorphan taken along with your opiate prevents tolerance and therefore dependence. It's OTC(cough syrup) and it would also potentiate the Codeine by providing sedation. I understand some of the things I listed are kind of useless when you're in the middle of what you're going through, though.

Gabapentin withdrawal is hell, and I'd rather withdraw from opiates than any gaba acting drugs.

I don't know what your supply is like, but I'd probably increase the dosage to get the desired effect while you're going through the worst of Gabapentin withdrawal. Once you start feeling the WDs let up, I'd start tapering the Codeine to avoid any issues with it.

I was given 45 Tylenol 3s (to take three times per day). That is a two week supply until my next appointment at pain management.

I ended up taking six yesterday (two per dose) because I was super desperate for relief from the nerve pain and heart palps that gabapentin withdrawal was causing. It did the trick and I had no nerve pain and my heart palps were significantly reduced. I think it caused some side effects though because I've been constipated, unenergetic, uncoordinated, and anxious today. Too anxious to even drive.

Would it be smart of me to seek another opiate (not codeine) that would help with the pain but wouldn't have these side effects? today I was real anxious when I was outside walking around and in general just felt anxious. I didn't take any codeine today until 5 minutes ago because my nerve pain and heart palps were at bay.

Thoughts on my situation?

You could do a CWE to safely increase the codiene to a higher dose without the paracetamol.

I've done that in the past when drs were stingy with pain meds. Of course this is not going to help with dependence or tolerance issues, & you'll use up your script faster.

Are you going to be taking it long term or is your nerve pain stemming from a situation that can be resolved? Eg: nerve blocks?

If it's an ongoing pain problem that hasn't responded to interventions, a long acting opiod would likely be a safer choice.

Rtp

My nerve pain and heart palps are from gabapentin withdrawal. The nerve pain has subsided over the past 10 weeks but can still be strong; the heart palps have been steady.

Like I said, they were all gone once I too the Tylenol 3 but they caused their own undesired problems too like constipation, laziness, and anxiety