• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Two intertwined questions on Methadone.

timetohunt

Bluelighter
Two intertwined questions on Methadone & Advice on getting completely out from here.

I have only just added methadone into my pain management rotation in the past 18 months, and even at that only regularly the past 5 months.
I used pharmaceutical pain killers, mostly oxy and opana in my first 7 years of my pain treatment and eventual addiction. At my worst up to 300 mg of insulflated oxymorphone. During some withdrawals I couldn't even walk, pure insanity.

So, to make a long story short how is that I can take 25 mgs of methadone and not be sick, while I often hear of clinic patients being on 100, 150, even 265 mgs. Is there any patient that needs those doses?

Now more importantly, I think methadone is going to be my way out without wanting to kill myself in the process of withdrawal. I've tried Suboxone, but it brings on terrible symptoms of serotonin syndrome. I gave it a good 18 months, but it just never agreed with me. I stayed on it for far to long anyway. It might have been my ticket had I just stayed for 2 months. It didn't take me long to figure out that I had one of those sub doctors that didn't know the ceiling for most addicts isn't going to be much more than 12mg/day. Heck, even 4mg for many addicts. He started me at 24mg. I was only on 4mg by my own guidance and donated the leftovers. I went through 45 days of restless body syndrome when I just had to get off sub. A pretty crazy scene. I went back to the oxy world sadly very soon after. A chance blown there, but my anxiety issues were so off the charts. That was my excuse to keep using then.

Back to the methadone related part of this:
So, it seems that an average methadone clinic patient may be say at around 40-80mgs (are those #s right, I'm getting it for pain, and don't have clinic experience).

It seems comforting for me to know I might be able to come down relatively 'gently', though I'm well aware of the PAWS nightmare and the more specific misery of Anhedonia. The only thing in the short term for terrible anhedonia is some alcohol. I even despair upon how opiates even changed my once enjoyable relationship with booze. Now its a comfort med during WD, not good, i know.

My worst enemy of the whole thing, even prior to full blown addiction is my generalized anxiety and cortisol problems. But seeing how I can be fair or kind of OK off just 25mgs of methadone. Plus a few new 'discoveries' I've recently began using to battle the three worst symptoms (anxiety, fear, and cortisol related panics). I suppose having an Anhedonic brain can also be included into those worst symptoms eventually after being totally abstinent from opiates. Anhedonia being part of PAWS, or possibly it being simply another word for the PAWS condition.

Any thoughts on all of this? Like I said, methadone is not brand spanking new to me, but related to other opiates it is. And also my absolute pondering of a human being using something like 150 or more mgs of it a day....just mind boggling.

Thanks for reading. Things are getting so tightened down, require so much hassle in the opiate pharmaceutical world.....I want out. It's already taken parts of my soul, not to mention material wealth. Deteriorated my talents and health.

I did gain a lot of unsavory associates and I never got fat.....thanks dope! :(

Side notes: I do get some pretty potent IR meds, but other than some upbeat feelings and energy (both rather temporary and fleeting compared to years past), I don't really need them. I'm still prepping my way into a ween down, and it won't involve these. The hardest thing is a 'special needs' person is highly dependant upon me. I might have a few days at most to ever totally check out to withdrawal. That's a huge factor which I have no idea how will turn out, totally up to the winds of chance as far as I know right now. Scary...here comes fear. That special needs person is the most important thing in my life. I'd detail more, but don't want to be identified by chance. Unlikely, yes, but impossible, no. And, that person has nothing but me to help. No family that can satisfy those needs.

I mentioned issues with cortisol, it can best be explained most times when I wake up. I've been told that I often wake-up as if I'm being chased by a Grizzly bear. An immediate fight or flight thing, no drugs to tame it. I'm often no good for a whole day later, except staring into space, overly awake yet exhausted afterward. I knew something like that was happening, but a hormone test verified it. That often makes me think about .......bad things, making it stop. A crap load of opiates used to help some, but not anymore.

Last edited:
I know it's a rather long post. With today's obsessed idea of immediate satisfaction of anything (us dope fiends), I understand it could be passed pretty easily. Then posts like "how bad is this WD going to be", get more attention than more complex topics. Please take a read, and add something if you think you have something to add.

Bluelight is an old site, has done a lot of good, but as with anything, I think it's over. So if there are better places, please tell. Thanks.

Why do addicts have such high Methadone doses? Easy, because they're addicts.

I myself was a MMT patient for about 4 years.. I was ranging from 30mg to 120mg a day.
In all honesty, from doing a couple GRAMS daily of good quality dope, 30mg of Methadone would take me out of withdrawal completely.. Would I feel GREAT on 30mg of Methadone coming off a 2g a day dope habit? No. But definitely tolerable, with insomnia issues. 60mg Would have me feeling Good, like normal good, like I never done Opiates my whole life. Eating right, sleeping right,etc.

But as an addict, you Would obviously want to feel the analgesia/sedation from your daily dose that's why I went up to 120mg lol.. The mind of an addict

Last edited:
I'm at 110 mgs per day currently.
At my worst before methadone I was using 1.2 grams of morphine sulfate IV per day. I had an Rx for 2x 200 mg tablets 3 times daily.

Though even at that habit, 50 mgs of methadone would be enough to fix me up so I wasn't sick.

The reason I am so high, is because I find by taking a high dose, I get a slight opioid euphoria and other typical morphinan effects when I dose, and that really satisfies me,and the addict in me. Mixed with some cannabis, I literally have 0 desire for any other hard drugs.

Also, it keeps my tolerance so high that I couldn't get high on opioids if I wanted too, which is a pro and a con. But I consider it a pro for my current personal situation.

As the OP I'm begging for some response. I realize that the post is a bit long, but at least it won't leave much to guess upon regarding my background.

So if you have a moment, and most of all experience on the topic, I welcome your responses with much gratitude.

I'm at 110 mgs per day currently.
At my worst before methadone I was using 1.2 grams of morphine sulfate IV per day. I had an Rx for 2x 200 mg tablets 3 times daily.

Though even at that habit, 50 mgs of methadone would be enough to fix me up so I wasn't sick.

The reason I am so high, is because I find by taking a high dose, I get a slight opioid euphoria and other typical morphinan effects when I dose, and that really satisfies me,and the addict in me. Mixed with some cannabis, I literally have 0 desire for any other hard drugs.

Also, it keeps my tolerance so high that I couldn't get high on opioids if I wanted too, which is a pro and a con. But I consider it a pro for my current personal situation.

I'm curious, are you a young person? I'm a good piece of time over 40. Didn't know anything about opiates until I was about 41. So there is a little extra background.

I'm 27, I've been on opioids since my early teen years and on and off methadone for like 10 years