• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

TV: Respondents needed for SBS 'Insight' program.

No. Certainly not if they are identifying you as a drug user. Why is that even a question?

Insight forum

Hi - this is Sarah, the journalist working on the Insight story.

I don't want to use blacked out faces because the point of the story is to show that there are users who feel they're using responsibly and aren't ashamed of their drug use. So blacking people's faces would sort of undercut that whole thesis.

I am hoping to have a few users in the forum, so there will be safety in numbers, perhaps.

Don't hesitate to call me on (02) 9430 3271 if you have questions or want to participate.

Sarah.

I don't want to use blacked out faces because the point of the story is to show that there are users who feel they're using responsibly and aren't ashamed of their drug use. So blacking people's faces would sort of undercut that whole thesis.
I really hope you can find people who are able to do this. I would love to be able to stand up and say "I have a university degree. I have a demanding job in the health care field, at a senior level, that pays well. I am happily married. I have used recreational drugs for over 10 years, with no adverse effects. I have no criminal record.." etc etc. But unfortunately my colleagues and employer would not understand and neither would my parents.

Most of my friends are just like me too...:\

Good luck with finding people who can take the chance.

I know you would have given alot of thought to that SBD, and you might even be beating yourself about it... If you are, don't; the RADAR boys still love you (!) and I have to say I agree with you... in your position, I am not sure I would do otherwise- and you KNOW I have significant authority figure issues!!
It is a very interesting story, that needs to be told, but I don't think anyone should feel that they are letting down the cause if they don't volunteer; particularly without an offer of anonymity. There is a world of difference between being reproachful as a journalist because you can't get a whole bunch of kids to stand up and say "I regularly use drugs", and doing it yourself. Maybe if they were to drop a pill themselves on camera....!
I think it is telling enough that bright sparks like yourself, in a supposed first world country at the beginning of the 21st century, are still concerned about the consequences of free speech. It says alot more about the system that intimidates them, than about their being intimidated:p

I'd be happy to do it with no problems, but I'd cost me my job :(

So it's a neyt insofar.... sorry sarah!

I know this doesn't contribute anything to the thread and I'm hesitant to post another "I would love to but I can't" post, but feel compelled to anyway.

I work in IT for a state government public service department, besides from my weekend use of recreational drugs I don't think I could be any more of an average Citizen Joe. Where I work I often walk past federal and state political leaders and sometimes even the police comissioner of my state.

I have friends who I party with who are accountants, others in finance and banking and doctors. I would consider all of us are intelligent, informed and responsible with our drug use.

I would love nothing more than to help change the community's perception of drug use and modern drug users, but of course, like the others, I have to continue living a double life. Especially so with the extremely conservative nature of my work environment.

Good luck with this documentary.

We have many examples of non-consequential use on this board. For those who dedicate the hours to gently guide and advise, their efforts need no ID backup. Sure it may be a loss, not seeing true examples of non-consequential use take centre stage, but round here they already do - and that's what matters, don't ya think?

To echo the Doc's words

I think it is telling enough that bright sparks like yourself, in a supposed first world country at the beginning of the 21st century, are still concerned about the consequences of free speech. It says alot more about the system that intimidates them, than about their being intimidated

I doubt there will be trouble finding enough suitable people for Insight. So don't put yourself out with any guilt trip in that you're not standing up for what you believe etc., These are early days. You may yet get your chance, but like any good Harm Reduction practicing user, if and when you do, you'll ensure little if any negative consequence results %)

hoptis said:

I work in IT for a state government public service department, besides from my weekend use of recreational drugs I don't think I could be any more of an average Citizen Joe.

I would love nothing more than to help change the community's perception of drug use and modern drug users, but of course, like the others, I have to continue living a double life. Especially so with the extremely conservative nature of my work environment.

Good luck with this documentary.

^^ what he said. Except switch "IT" to "PR". During the week I'm the corporate Ms. Average; work, watch TV, eat my veggies, pay my bills. On the weekend where others might spend their recreational money on designer shoes or Playstation games, I take drugs. Rarely missed a Monday morning; don't have any financial, physical, emotional or social problems whatsoever. But it would be career death to admit this.
Good luck :)

If only we could have a National Drug Users Day, where everyone comes forward at once...

well ive contacted sarah, and all shes gotta do is find a use for me in this program,

its such a shame that drug use of the party type has been so badly demonised that people cant come forward and admit to it because of the ramifications that they think will occur.......

well if any of you bl's that wont go on the show winge about how drug users are treated, in the future think twice cause when it came time for you to put your hand up and be counted - you folded..............

and thats the reason why things wont change for a long time

and good luck to the rest of us

^ For someone representing a harm reduction body (I assume from your signature), you have a pretty poor attitude. You of all people should know that there are lots of different ways to make a political difference. Standing up to be counted doesn't need to be at the expense of one's freedom or lifestyle; these are, after all, recreational drugs.

im just sick of ppl winging about how it should be diferent, without doing something..... hey i can sit on the fence too...
unless we actually do somthing this drug culture is just going to get demonised more and more, the general public isnt aware how big drug culture is so we'll alway draw the short straw untill we show em how big it is

mabey not in this form but atleast others

Last edited:
I contacted Sarah but at the end of the day I had to prioritise and I picked my career over what little good my appearing in this show would achieve. I am not belittling Sarah's project at all, I am just assuming there won't be a shortage of volunteers.

i actually wouldnt have a problem doing this cause most people i know , know that i do drugs on some basis (i'm a uni student, i work a casual job). In fact i would love to do it in many ways!

however, i dont think i could participate due to the fact that i may incriminate my friends that i go out with, and a lot of them are in a different situation than me. :(

i hope everyone else thinks about this side of the equation as well before they participate.

I did an interview for the ABC earlier this year regarding my 1,4b use. It covered topics from the amount i used to my harm prevention methods. The reporter was excellent and didn't twist any of my answers around to make me look like an 'evil drug user'. My face was shadowed a little, but anyone who knows me instantly reconised me.

I know this doesn't help much, but if i wasn't in London right now, i would be there in a flash.

Good luck with the search.

When is this going to air? Or have I missed it already?

It was meant to be recorded early September, but was rescheduled. It hasn't been filmed yet, but when I know an air date I will post it up.