• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

TV: Respondents needed for SBS 'Insight' program.

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter
The SBS 'Insight' program is looking for people who use drugs to speak on camera, and/or participate in a filmed open discussion. Sarah has provided this information regarding the program:

Basically, we want to do a forum that moves the discussion beyond the usual harm minimisation vs. tough on drugs dichotomy and look at how drugs are actually being used. It seems the drug culture has changed substantially over the last two or three decades and we want to take a look, especially, at younger users and the question of whether recreational drug use has become substantially normalised, and if so, how does that affect how we do, or ought to be doing, policy.

We are looking for leads for a story, as well as people who would be prepared to speak frankly in the forum about their own drug use.

If anyone is interested please call (02) 9430 3271 or email [email protected]. They are willing to fly anyone to Sydney to participate in this discussion.

Last edited:
Pretty much. Usually the current affairs programs get totally biased because only crack whores and pot smokers at high school are stupid enough to appear on TV.

All the lawyers doing lines on the weekend or the uni students popping a few on the weekend realise that its a much better idea to stay in the shadows and enjoy what they do than expose themselves to such negative publicity, which could have quite harmful repercussions on their family/social/work life.

Why repercussions? Because these people actually lead normal lives, not the drug addicted ones heroin addicts do where everyone is already fully aware of their habit just by looking at them, the clothes they wear and the dirt on their face.

Though congrats to SBS for running something like this, i hope you get enough people of the type you are after rather than scraping the barrel for any flotsam you can find.

^ I gather no time soon, they said in the original mailing: "We are looking for leads for a story..." hehe

BigTrancer :)

I believe they are looking to do this in about three weeks time, email Sarah for more information. SBS's 'Insight' is a very good program and for the open discussion you would need to be willing to show your face on air.

Yeah the program sounds like a great idea, unfortunately I doubt even I would be involved, I need some anonimity after all especially with my career.

I have agreed to do this program, for what it's what it's worth. This woman seems to know her stuff, has done her research, and is going to talk to a number of seriously clever types on the issues. I understand Superbabydocs' skepticism about showing faces on telly- especially in Australia at the moment. But it's important that the general public understands the reality of pill-use in Australia, ie lots of people are into it, and they are interested and concerned about their health. There is the rare opportunity to accurately represent your point of view here, and counteract some of the inaccurate and biased reporting that has been presented recently. Alot of the problems with the scene in Australia have been with the absence of sensible public spokesmen/women, (Johnboy aside) which has substantially differentiated it from the European scene. If you want to remain considered as a 'subculture', that's fine. The chance for credibility awaits anyone who is prepared to stand up and be heard. You will be guaranteed anonymity, if that is what you want- it is SBS and not Channel 9, after all!;)

Its all good and well to stand up and say "yes i do drugs!"... but its not exactly a legal passtime..

You would need to be in very favourable circumstances to be comfortable with airing to Aus that you're a drug user. Its not something a lot of people would want their boss, or their family, to see. Its unfortunate and it does indeed make it hard to get a good take on exactly what kind of people are using drugs recreationally. Sadly, too many people's careers would be at stake to come forward for such a thing. Tho I do hope there are people who can do so who will put the message we want to be heard across.

stace.

Well I'll be there. I am long past caring what anybody thinks. I fully understand people's hesitation in doing this but it is extremely important, for all the reasons drpaltypus mentioned. We can't make any serious changes in Australian drug policy if the politicians, and the general public, can marginalise us as a fring element. We need to make it clear that we are the mainstream and we are not going away.

If only we could somehow convince someone of a high status in the Australian community to come-forth and share their personal experiences with drugs... Do you think that maybe good ole Johnny Howard would be willing to make a public appearance and tell us of his "good times of the past"... much like Mark Latham did? =D

The problem with celebreties admitting to using drugs is they usualy only admit to using marijuana, then they go on to say 'i learnt from my mistakes'. They speak of them like it was a very bad thing to do at the time. For example, Shannon Nohl just admitted he was using marijuana for 18 months to help him get over his fathers death. But he still said 'he regrets it'.... yet it helped him. strange.

SBS should be congratulated for at least attempting to gather some information which is relevant and correct in terms of todays drug users..

As earlier mentioned we are mainstream and as such are not all cowering down alley ways looking dirt, which is the only picture many australians envisage as a drug user.

Hopefully this program will open the eyes of at least some australians.

I only wish i was in a position to so publicly voice my opinion, as well as having the courage..

Respect for those do.

Blutonium Girl ;)

I'm gonna give it a whirl, i'm quite open about my drug use, not abuse... (well the political eye calls it abuse) I'm a bum at the moment, and don't have a career to lose, and being on SBS, about 1/4 of the australian public, if that, watch SBS on a day to day basis... i just watch pizza (yay) and the occasional anime... i've got a few friends who would do it and come along... i'd like to put an insight into the rave culture anyway, could be a fun trip - and i've wanted to go to sydney besides! :) :)

Party Safe

I contacted Sarah via email and she gave me a call this morning.

What they are doing sounds like a great idea getting users, experts, anti drug people and parents who have lost someone. Basically anyone with a view and a cross range of people.

Its a good idea, while Im quiet open and prepared to justify how I choose to spend my weekends, Im more concerned about what ramifications this would have on my job.

I am sure that Sarah would be perfectly happy to arrange for anyone to have their face blacked out and voice disguised- after all, it's a sad commentary on the whole subject that people have to be afraid of what they say in case they lose their jobs. Just ring her and ask. My impression was that she was more interested in the types of people using drugs in Australia, rather than getting anyone to publically pin their colours to the mast or anything.
My sympathies to those wrestling with their conscience on this one- I genuinely think it's a really hard call, particularly for those holding down a 'respectable' job...:\

Here here to drplatypus,

Sadly, due to the state of drug-acceptance in Australia, it's a bit of a double-edged sword at the moment - Do we pipe up, show that we are normal, functional members of society who just happen to use drugs as one form of recreation; and risk losing our jobs/being persecuted in a biased society, or do we stay quiet for this very reason; but then get ourselves nowhere?

The country is not in a state where people can talk openly about drug use in most circles - hence the reason forums such as bluelight that offer some level of anonymity being so popular.

Personally, I have strong opinions on this and most definitely want to support the drug community - sadly, those of us who are the types that are so often under-represented (ie: lawyers, company owners, etc, etc - I'm not saying i'm one of these, btw) have the most to lose, and for a variety of reasons, the prejudice against me/potential adverse effects of me supporting drugs would be far worse than any effect the consumption of the drugs themselves would likely cause (oh, the bitter irony).

If nothing else, I'd like Sarah to be able to read this problem that confronts us and at least take that into account in her report.

By law is sbs & sarah allowed to show peoples faces on tele without there permission?