Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

TV: Nine Network (9) - 3/06/07 'Stilnox: Sleeping aid or silent killer'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Sunday - Stilnox: Sleeping aid or silent killer
Author: Nine Network | May 31, 2007, 12:14

Sunday, June 3 from 9am-11am

More than 1.1 million prescriptions for the sleeping pill Stilnox were dispensed in Australia last year alone. There have been a few negative anecdotal stories about the drug over recent months, but this week SUNDAY presents a major investigation into the real dangers of Stilnox.

Host Ellen Fanning has travelled the country, documenting case studies and investigating why there haven’t been stronger warnings about the drug.

We tell the story of one woman who took Stilnox, went to bed, began sleepwalking and ended up in her kitchen trying to disembowel herself with a carving knife

Or the man who threw himself off a balcony, while asleep. We've also found a letter from one of the country's top pharmacologists saying that a Brisbane man who lost his licence for driving offences should have his conviction overturned because he was under the influence of Stilnox. In fact, the expert says the drug company should pay the man compensation.

But why haven’t the authorities done something to warn consumers of the dangers? Professor Duncan Topliss, the chair of the so-called independent committee which investigates drugs - the Adverse Drug Reactions Advisory Committee said it had recommended one of the most serious warnings possible be given to doctors about Stilnox - a so-called black box warning.

Prof Topliss confirmed that recommendation was rejected by Australia's drug regulator, the Therapeutic Goods Administration, because the drug company which makes the drug had proposed a watered down action, which did not involve such serious warnings.

The regulator - the watchdog on drug safety in Australia - took the advice of the multinational drug company, which makes Stilnox, ahead of the advice of its own expert medical committee.

Nine Network

Yey for the scare campagins!! Ch9 has their hooks in this one reeeeeal good! Its gunna be a good ol' fashioned tabloid beat up yalll! ;)

good to see old stilly gettin some press. Wonder when mushies will get some tho. Why not have the presenter combine both n try do the news theres a story.

It will just make people import it id they ban it. At at such a lower cost.

Caution: Stilnox Has Adverse Reactions To Some People

i lost a mate of 15 years...thanks to Stilnox.

he died after falling from a 12th floor balcony whilst sleepwalking after taking Stilnox.

be careful if you take this shit.

So where does cannabis fall into line as a safe sleeping aid... oh wait it isn't safe because it didn't come from a pharmaceutical company

Stilnox is an absolute god send IMHO. I really hope doctors around here don't get all tight arse with it :\ The great thing is that its not addictive so you can basically just straight out ask for it and the doc doesn't have to worry about you being a junkie of some kind and will be much more likely to hand it out.

Some of my friends actually take Stillie recreationally. Its pretty fun to take and stay awake. But leads to terrible memory loss :\

^^^Amen.

Whenever I get my hands on a script (legit), I will take them to help me sleep, but after a week or two, I find I cannot go to sleep without them.

Thankfully that only last a week (or a couple bottles of wine), and its gone.

i dont understand how ppl can be so affected from simply taking 1 tablet. to get strong effects and complete memory loss i need to take at least 2 and that is only when taken after a big night out on pills. maybe all these stories were hearing are from ppl mixing them with alcohol?

phlegm69 said:
i lost a mate of 15 years...thanks to Stilnox.

he died after falling from a 12th floor balcony whilst sleepwalking after taking Stilnox.

be careful if you take this shit.

as i said in a past post i am very sorry to her of this.. do you know if he mixed alcohol with this because no doctor will currently prescribe the medecine to anyone that evewn drinks on weekends out of safety.

Sorry to end the post on something totally different, but there is a new simpsons episode with ambien/stilnox being whaled on:

Simpsons Stilnox Ep S18E19

[EDIT: Removed link, sorry torrent links aren't allowed. I'm sure if you look around hard enough you can find it. hoptis]

Last edited:
Its worth the watch even if you are over the simpsons... shows how prescription drugs arent really different to illicits in certain ways, or can be worse.
He even gets dressed up in womens clothes ;-)

What a piece of shit this show was. I found it very very difficult to sit through the whole thing.

Yeah Stilnox not good.

I almost had to crawl to bed after taking the first one, whilst sitting on the lounge room sofa - I was f**cked. On Christmas Day last year I ended up in hospital after taking a couple to get to sleep and this combined with Zoloft led to Serotonin Syndrome. Give me benzos any day.

nickyj said:
What a piece of shit this show was. I found it very very difficult to sit through the whole thing.

Well only half the show was about Stilnox. But if you can "get" today's sarcastic "adult" cartoons, the message they are really sending is prescription drugs are drugs. Matt Groening obviously used to use drugs, if he still does not now. It was obvious in the line of the episode, when Rod or Todd asked "Mr Simpson, why did you melt all the wax dolls?", then he replies with something like it wasn't me! It was the sleeping drug! Then one of the kids replies with "Users are Losers!" And homer says, "only if you take drrruuuuggss" using a scary face, but im just taking "drugs" to help me sleep..

I have actually had a bad experience using Stilnox after alcohol that I would rather not discuss here but if something a little bit different happened... I would be in jail for a long time... The stuff is to be AVOIDED WITH ALCOHOL at all costs!.. and probably other drugs too.

Ambien is not normally prescribed as a nightly drug, only taken when needed, unless you have real bad insomnia, or that is how it should be prescribed anyway. Along with all sleeping meds.