Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Futurama

Man, Im comin in here just to be a hater. This show is worse than watchin paint curl up and peel off a old wall, real talk. I seriously hate this show. I been forced to watch it when i was in other people houses and they had it on, and I always just sit there as interested as if i am staring at the wall. i dont understand how the people who made the simpsons could make such a horrible piece of boring-ass unfunny crap.

i admit the original series took a while for me to get into, but the replayability just increases its quality. i expect the same from the recent extended episodes and the new ones.
Ditto!!!

And I loved the new episodes. :)

And to all of the haters, it's not a bad show, you just don't get the nerdy jokes. There are more jokes buried in that show than you can possibly imagine if you aren't into sci-fi and dorky science humor.

WOW!

just watched the first episode and lol'd a few times :D

you know when you magnify something you make it bigger, not clearer

:D

The super crazy culture-reference episode sucked ass... other than that its been pretty good.

It'll never touch what it was, I fear.

Still, I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Futurama used to be clever. It used to satirise the modern world by contextualizing these events in various ways in the future. This is what good science fiction does. The 'eyephone'/ 'facebook' shit is not clever. It's obvious. It doesn't make any sense that in the year 3000, they would be using technology so similar to our own. And it's inconsistent with the rest of the show.

The South Park episode 'The Simpsons Did It' makes a good point about certain themes/plot-lines being inevitable in television after a certain number of seasons. 'Every story has already been told', etc. But this should be easier to avoid in a show that is set outside of the modern world. But they aren't even trying. In fact, they seem to be trying to make it as obvious as possible. Bender said to Hermes at one point, "We're talking about robosexuals aren't we?" and Hermes said, "We're talking about lots of things." It was already obvious enough what the episode was about. Too obvious. Do they need to break the reality of the show (like they did with the comment in the first episode about the new comedy network) to point this out?

How many gay marriage episodes of TV shows do I have to endure, seriously? Every show that's ever been fucking made? Even if it's set in the distant future?

Doesn't anybody out there in TV world have ideas that don't revolve around hot topics or current events?

Fuck this.

I was really looking forward to Futurama, and so far it's really failing to win me over.

Bender said to Hermes at one point, "We're talking about robosexuals aren't we?" and Hermes said, "We're talking about lots of things."

I believe Hermes was talking about legalizing weed, he's Jamaican after all.

But you're right they have made it far too obvious. The Iphone and robosexual episodes were pretty bad. But I must say I enjoyed the "In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela" episode.

I really hope that the rest of the season attempts a little more inconspicuous current event humor, sprinkled on top of its own plot, instead of the other way around.

I understood the weed reference, but he was really saying "we're talking about lots of things - about marijuana, homosexual marriage, etc" - either way he is a character in a story refering directly to the subtext which always annoys the shit out of me. It's patronozing. Futurama didn't use to spell out all it's jokes and it was obvious enough when Hermes said 'legalize it', what he was refering to.

Futurama ended on a brilliant episode, 'the Devils Hands are Idle Playthings'.

I hate to say it, but maybe they should've just left it there.

^during that last episode's opera dr z sings "i can't believe everybody is ad libbing!". wasn't that spelling out the joke a bit?

having only seen the first two episodes of the new season, i've enjoyed it thus far more than i expected. the anticipation for the new eps is impossible to successfully meet, realistically. t_d, give it some time to regain its old momentum, before writing it off so much.

that comedy central joke was super-lame, but it was totally aware of how lame it was, even amy wong got it after a distinct beat. this makes up for it, imo. a lot of futurama is lame in this regard, but the delivery generally more than compensates.

I understood the weed reference, but he was really saying "we're talking about lots of things - about marijuana, homosexual marriage, etc" - either way he is a character in a story refering directly to the subtext which always annoys the shit out of me. It's patronozing. Futurama didn't use to spell out all it's jokes and it was obvious enough when Hermes said 'legalize it', what he was refering to.

Futurama ended on a brilliant episode, 'the Devils Hands are Idle Playthings'.

I hate to say it, but maybe they should've just left it there.
They are doing the same thing the Simpsons are doing and we all know how fucking lame the Simpsons are now, shitty pop culture references. I've watched all the original episodes so many times, I absolutely love them. One of my favourites was Jurassic Bark, a story based off the awesome Hachikō story.

There used to be obvious references to pop-culture in Futuruama, sure. Like the Slurm Factory. But it was done in such a way that it suited the context. You can't just say I want to do an episode about such and such and force it into the reality of the show. That's the worst kind of television.

having only seen the first two episodes of the new season, i've enjoyed it thus far more than i expected. the anticipation for the new eps is impossible to successfully meet, realistically. t_d, give it some time to regain its old momentum, before writing it off so much.

Yeah, I'll keep watching. But everything goes stale. Red Dwarf is a great example. Futurama was always a pale shadow of Dwarf for me. And both of them have declined. I'll be happily surprised if Futurama picks up. But personally, if I was writing an animated sitcom, which I am, I wouldn't start a new series with bullshit. I mean, they've had years to come up with ideas. We've been waiting for new episodes for ages. Yet they come up with shit. Polished shit. I don't know, it's the same as Family Guy. I have Deja Vu. They were like 'oh, why did they ever cancel us? Ha ha ha,' but they never lived up to the previous standard. It's like they've come back on air, but I sort of wonder why... I hope they prove me wrong.

agreed. really hated the new eps. seems to have just turned into an inside-jokey happy ending for the die-hard fans but i don't know any die-hard fans who are impressed.

I've been laughing more at the new episodes than the old ones, actually. It's racier and faster paced. Granted, I've saved watching them for toasted Sunday afternoons and that might have enhanced my viewing experience.

I'd understand the criticisms better if they were more than just saying that the writers ran out of ideas. What were the old ideas explicitly, and how exactly are the ideas in the new episodes redundant or stale in comparison? I'm not saying you all are wrong, just acknowledging that the past is always remembered through rose-tinted glasses and requesting that you back up your complaints with something concrete. That said, my favorite "concept" from the older seasons was the one employed in the universe in a box episode. Nothing that clever has been done in the new season but at the same time most of the old seasons' episodes weren't that clever either, so it may just be a matter of time. I also don't agree that they've had years to come up with new ideas (old people also tend to hog creative control away from new talent). They've made four two-hour long movies and I think a number of the writers have continued work for the Simpsons so they've been busy, all well growing older and "less fresh" as creative people. Nevertheless I've been presently surprised by how funny it's been.

Last edited:
ive always been a big fan of the old series. ive just started watching the new season and at first i got the impresiion too that this might be a mistake and go the family guy way, but the episodes get better and better and im just thrilled to have the gang back ;)

Just been watching through the new episodes, nothing striking, but I like them. I'll have to look through the new ones again, this time to get the jokes that weren't quite as obvious. I especially loved the rectifying diode circuit on the wall of the robot priest's place, and most of the pop culture references in both the iPhone/Twitter and DaVinci episodes.

What were the old ideas explicitly, and how exactly are the ideas in the new episodes redundant or stale in comparison?

The last episode I saw started with a completely unnecessary scene in a futuristic game show, called who wants to be a billionaire or something like that. It was a pop-culture reference just for the sake of it. It wasn't funny.

New Futurama is now full of these blatant pop-culture references. They used to refer to things metaphorically, but now they have dumbed it down (I guess so they don't get cancelled again) and they don't bother with the metaphors any more. Or, at least, they're very weak.

The Da Vinci code. When the robot-monk starts whipping himself on the back like Silas from Dan Brown's terrible novel. They could've done anything. The robot could've electrocuted itself. To just replicate what you are parodying in a slightly different context, is not clever.

Red Dwarf did exactly the same thing when it came back online. Season Eight of Dwarf and the new specials on Dave are crammed full of pop-culture references. There are blatant references to Escape from Alcatraz, Reservoir Dogs, etc. But they're three million years in deep space.

Before Dwarf was revived, the pop culture references made sense, they were contextualized.

I don't know, I get the impression that the guys who made Futurama are making what they think people want to see - another Family Guy, where all the jokes rely on celebrities and current events. I'm not saying there's no place for this. South Park is great.

Futurama and Red Dwarf shouldn't revolve around 20th/21st century pop culture references.

It doesn't make any sense.

(Leela and Fry being lovers ruins a bit as well. Every time a TV show builds a relationship for years - like Rachel and Ross, Niles and Daphne, etc - they always fuck it up by getting them together, it never works)