Welcome Guest!

Forum GuidelinesBluelight Rules
  • Lounge Moderators: andyturbo | mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Megathread TTYS v. share your PROFOUND insights

DopeM

☔ Rain Man ☔
To spread love & light while simultaneously improving return on investment for stockholders. Read his mission statement plz.

Captain.Heroin

Sr. Moderator: H&R, Words, SLR
Staff member
Hell is other people? I make my own hell with my thoughts and actions?
"Other people" are actually not hell. Garcin is confused about why he is still in hell. Not that other people are hell; from the juvenile perspective he has on himself it prevents him from escaping hell. Even Inez won't leave though she is the closest to getting it.

There's a sociological concept that is "hell" in the mind of Sartre and it is spelled out playfully with words, ideas and actions here.

The title is actually literal yet ironic; you'll have to watch it and I'd have to explain bits of it for it to make greater sense.

Captain.Heroin

Sr. Moderator: H&R, Words, SLR
Staff member
You suggested Sartre before to me
ok but here's the thing you'll need to watch that play and consider the actors, their morality, relative understanding of themselves and there is a sociological concept that's important to understand going on in this play. I don't want to really ruin it but... hell is actually inside of our minds when we employ the looking mirror self beyond a certain age obsessively as these people do. Inez is closest to escaping it but due to her amoral state (Garcin tried being moral but was immoral in life; in between; Estelle, on the left is vapid and clueless and not immoral to me).

There is a scene where it becomes immediately apparent the reason why all three people are in hell is because they still employ the looking mirror self.