Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Tryptophon from pharmacy?

GOFAST

Bluelighter
G'day all...

Just wondering where you can buy tryptophon from? is it available from the pharmacy or even local woolies amongst the multivitamins?

Thanks for the assistance.

GOFAST

Like VelocideX I'm guessing you mean tryptophan not tryptophon?

Assuming it is L- tryptophan.

Many of the oldschool Bluelighter's will know I've always been a fan of L-tryptophan over 5-HTP. Up until recently, I've usually had a (scripted) supply in the cupboard. However, I got quite a shock when I went to renew my supply a few weeks ago.

I'd changed doctors since my last prescription, which I must admit was over 2 years ago. Since that period, I have seen others get scripts, and had them filled at pharmacists who always supplied 500mg tablets made by Natures Own.

What had changed, was that Natures Own no longer make L-tryptophan. The pharmacist rang around her suppliers and came back to me saying a local pharm producer was willing to make either 100mg or 250mg tablets.

That in itself is a bit of a pain as I hate rattling from taking too many tablets. If you're intending to pre-post load, or just have use for them as a panacea for one of the many conditions they seem to treat, it usually means you want to take between 1-2 grams. I thought about it a moment before asking the price. I was quoted ~ $***-00 for 60 x 250mg tabs, which, weight for weight of L-tryp, is twice the price Natures Own sold for. I turned it down, deciding if I ever really needed them, I'd order from a chem supplier where I hold accounts. Unfortunately that's not an option for most people.

However, there's nothing to stop you from obtaining a prescription and ordering online. It will certainly be more cost effective that paying the prices I've indicated.

Another option if you're cleaver with chem, is extracting from milk. A liter of milk normally contains over 12 grams of L-tryptophan, but the procedure is not that simple. Details should be found using the bee search engine on

Synthetica

I was wondering when archives of the buzzy place would emerge.

phase_dancer -- do you happen to know the reason for it being on prescription? I've been told it's because l-tryptophan can reduce the seizure threshold

Eosinophilia-Myalgia Syndrome. It was suspected that an impurity present from the purification/ production of L-tryp from a genetically modified enzyme was responsible, but later doubts were cast on the L-tryptophan itself. The hasty (and possibly appropriate) response was to ban the amino acid supplement.

However, as time has gone by, very few of these cases have now emerged. There have however, also been reports of 5-HTP also being implicated in EMS .

Please read far and wide when catching up with just why and how things have got to where they are now. Is it a coincidence that prosaic was released only a few weeks after the ban? Possibly, but many people were finding relief from types of depression and related ailments with L-tryp.

Approach with an open mind. The amount of stuff on the subject is daunting to say the least, but I'm sure your speed reading abilities will devour it in no time VelocideX.

I was under the impression that the EMS epsiode was caused by a batch in Japan that got contaminated. It used to be made by bacterial fermentation, and they ended up fermenting something else =\.

Much was said of the "Peak X" ingredient and whether it was responsible. Most 5-HTP brands advertise themselves on the bottle as "free of Peak X"

I think you'll find there were cases of EMS from Tryptophan made via other methods. The peak X thing was never conclusively proven AFAIK.

5HTP is available in australia, check a compounding pharmacist. From what I know, it's not real cheap.